Help. Be kind though.

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Get someone on here to work out how many calories you should be eating for your height, weight, fitness level. And don't eat the calories back. Meaning defo don't do as much exercise.

Why should she cut back on exercise? If she is eating back then thats the risk of believing you have burned more than you have.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Many people report that when they plateau for a while, they pig out for a day or two and then can start losing again.

But maybe they meant something else. :)

This worked for me. I was the same weight for 5-6 weeks then I went away for a weekend, had naughty food and I was losing again :D

It took me over 10 years to put the weight on. I'm not planning on taking that long to lose it but I expect it to take me a few years at least.

Take a break from the eating out for 2 weeks. Weigh everything in grams and don't forget to measure the liquids. You might be surprised with portion sizes. I seldom eat out now as I can't weigh but I do check out the menu before I go and see if MFP lists the food. So far, most I've looked for is there. And it helps me choose the best option.

I've started cooking more things from scratch. The perfect one being pizza. I'd written it off as something I'd never eat again but home made pizza can be a quarter of the calories of a boxed version. I haven't even looked at the sodium!!

Most of all - you know you best. Lots of fantastic idea's here and each one is valid for it's own merits. Good luck and I hope you smash that barrier soon :)

Take care
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Just a word about the data base and logging - my yogurt is a good example - the data base logs it in "cups" but I measure it in grams, use the 1 cup = x oz/xgrams from the nutrition label on the yogurt, and log it thusly.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When you have a 6-pack, and you're talking about how yummy ice cream, bacon, and other "bad" foods are, it's forgivable.

But when you're obviously far from any goal that most would consider reasonable (according to aesthetics and/or health), and you're going on about how you can eat everything you want and it's working? Priceless.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Try switching your elliptical, or walking to HIIT, or a weightlifting program structured toward progressive overload (Stronglifts, Ice Cream Fitness, etc.).

Both HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), and weightlifting will cause your body to burn calories at a higher rate for a number of hours afterward. Since you'd actually be repairing muscles for a couple of days using a weightlifting program, it generally has the longest "after burn" effect.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i can't see what you're doing, so i'll throw these arrows out and see if any hit the target ;)

if you have PCOS you are very likely to be insulin resistant. try to cut out all added sugar and steer away from high glycemic index items - a spike in blood sugar can encourage the body to store the excess as fat, and then blood sugar plummets and you tend to eat more than you think. if i'm not mistaken (but don't quote me on this) PCOS also makes it harder to burn fat because of the hormonal influence.

if you decrease your sugar/starch and replace the calories with protein you will reduce blood sugar swings which will make both eating and exercise easier.

try to steer away from fast foods, i find they're pretty inconsistent with serving sizes or ingredient makeup. one guy will put loads of sauce on your sub and the other will put only a tiny bit - which affects your sugar and fat counts greatly.

i understand what you're going through because i'm gaining and losing 5 lbs for a while now (likely water fluctuations). hang in there.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I also have a thyroid condition and know a few family members with PCOS. This is the advice I and they were given.

For thyroid problems you will almost always have to eat less calories or burn more calories or consistently do both for longer periods than those without a thyroid condition.

For PCOS it generally creates an insulin sensitivity and therefore significantly lowering carbs is effective.

Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    .... it generally has the longest "after burn" effect.

Because that extra single figure calorie expenditure is really going to make a difference...

Notwithstanding that, the observation I'd make is that there is a lot of low quality CV work in the original post, it would be better to have a balanced mix of CV and resistance work, using some form of structured plan to grow capacity.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I meant to, but didn't add that if you have hormonal fluctuations, use them to your advantage when you can.

Before my period, there are always a few days where it's like I can't eat enough. But after, there are always a few days where it's like I don't get hungry at all. I didn't even realize I had Less Hungry days until I was paying attention to hunger and eating when I got hungry. I knew I had days I wanted to eat more, but the Less Hungry days were a surprise.

I've come to balance them out. I eat more before and less after.

If you have Less Hungry days, maybe you can use those to your advantage. Maybe. I don't know. Food for thought. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    When you have a 6-pack, and you're talking about how yummy ice cream, bacon, and other "bad" foods are, it's forgivable.

But when you're obviously far from any goal that most would consider reasonable (according to aesthetics and/or health), and you're going on about how you can eat everything you want and it's working? Priceless.

How do you define "far from any goal"? And why doesn't how far they've come factor in?
    I am honestly curious.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

How do you define "far from any goal"? And why doesn't how far they've come factor in?
    I am honestly curious.
    I'm thinking that post got put in the wrong thread because it doesn't make much sense in this one.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    It makes you healthier and keeps you fuller than junk.!

giphy.gif
  • Serah87
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »

Bumping......Good reads OP!!! :smile:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    15ruth99 wrote: »
    I can tell that you are a very busy woman to have to eat on the road for lunch (and some dinners). My #1 rule (to myself) "Burger King and McDonald's are not my friends...they are out to sabatoge my weight loss. There is nothing on their menu that is healthy for me. I will never allow myself the 'convenience' of going through a fast food drive-thru ever again." But that is me. That being said, I have to plan ahead what I am going to take to work to eat. Lately, I LOVE garlic & red pepper hummus on Carr's salt & pepper crackers (allowing myself 2 large crackers) - 160 calories total w/hummus. Also for lunch: Greek yogurt - 80 calories, cheese stick - 50 calories, and often an apple or Walmart's 100 calorie packet of chocolate almonds; a hot cup of Yogi tea and I am good till dinner time.

Today I went in to see my doctor for a weigh in. I have consistently and steadily been losing 1-1/2 pounds to 2 pounds a week. As of today - 40 pounds gone - yeah! But my doctor did warn me that I will probably soon plateau and not to get discourage. He suggested when I do plateau and my weight stays the same for several weeks to change up my exercise routine. Perhaps you may want to try that.

I, too, take synthroid and supplements. I never thought of listing them in my food diary. Is there a reason why you do? I read where someone suggested getting off of milk - I agree; I would try Almond or Coconut milk (healthier).

Good luck! :)

This is all wrong information. Smh

But it does make me want to go get a McDonald's breakfast

I just read that you can ask for a bacon, egg and cheese biscuit with a fresh egg. You're supposed to call it a "round egg." Here's hoping they don't look at me like a crazy person when I try to order it. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• jeep2961
    jeep2961 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure with your medical situation, but try 5:2 fasting diet, you fast 2 days a week allowing only 500 calories on those days and eat normal whatever you want in reason on the other 5 days, it helped me loose after a plateau, google 5:2 for more info or youtube has a lot of videos on it, good luck :-)
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It takes forever to lose weight with thyroid issues PLUS pcos. I have hashimotos myself... you should get you adrenals checked. You might just have hit a plateau.
  • arlenejoneswilson
    arlenejoneswilson Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i find that i have better luck with weight loss if i do nto eat later in the evening. Coudl it be that you ar taking in signficiant calories post 5:00pm?? That could be a culprit and cntribute to the plateau...
  • Serah87
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i find that i have better luck with weight loss if i do nto eat later in the evening. Coudl it be that you ar taking in signficiant calories post 5:00pm?? That could be a culprit and cntribute to the plateau...

Timing has nothing to do with weight loss.

Eating to much is the cause of weight loss stall.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling a bit discouraged lately. I work out several times a week (Zumba onMondays and Wednesdays, elliptical (30 minutes) and walking (30 mins) on Saturdays and Sundays). I stay in my calorie goal range, and yet the weight doesn't go down. I am maintaining the same weight. It doesn't go up, it just sits right at 154 for 6 weeks now (I'm 5'2", btw). Any ideas on how to get this moving again? Keep in mind that I do have a thyroid thing that is medically under control and also poly-cystic ovary syndrome and I've had a partial hysterectomy with the left ovary still intact. I do not take hormone replacement. I'm also 37 years old. I little more background: I'm a foster parent and pre-adoptive home. I'm stress level is manageable in my view. PLEASE HELP ME, but don't criticize me. I just don't have time to read mean things and they have no place in my life. So, if you have nothing nice or helpful to say, zip it.

I'll be kind, sure why not.

You're eating too much. Sorry.

It will be easy to make excuses, but as you said, zip it. Measure more precisely and accurately, ensure your calorie goal is reasonable. Resolve to follow a responsible and reachable weight loss goal.

It's that easy. Good luck.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    It makes you healthier and keeps you fuller than junk.!

giphy.gif
    Most people do find fast food less satisfying over time and less healthy than other options. Shocker, I know. :|