Possible weight gain because of strength training

Options
I have lost about 20 pounds by eating very healthy, about 1400-1500 calories daily, and lifting weights. I'm now eating 1600 calories, still working out, but doing a new resistance program with heavier weights. I was either maintaining or losing about half a pound a week. Suddenly I gained 2 pounds, without any cheat days, not going over my calorie allowance, nothing. And those 2 pounds have stayed there for 2 weeks now. I *know* it's not a big deal, and I am almost sure it's because of the strength training program. However, if it keeps going up, how can I know if it's that I'm eating too many calories or it's all because of the heavy lifting? What is a good range of fluctuation to have in maintenance?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you were previously eating at a deficit, and then increased calories, you would restore your muscle's glycogen and gain a couple pounds. This is like water weight, and it doesn't usually change your measurements or BF. I am betting it is either glycogen or water, since you have only gained 2lbs, and not more. Also, if you eat above maintenance and lift heavy, you will gain weight, but more of it will be muscle than if you only ate more calories.
  • nespinosa3
    nespinosa3 Posts: 116
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Well I should say, I ate 1400-1500, hit a plateau, and then went up to 1600 and kept losing until my goal weight. Since it's holidays and I didn't eat well at all during September and October (but didn't gain anything!), I kept on eating 1600 so it's less than whatever my maintenance is. So I was losing a little bit and then this happened -_-
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    you don't gain muscle weight by eating at or below maintenance no matter how much weight you lift.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    you don't gain muscle weight by eating at or below maintenance no matter how much weight you lift.

Not true. A person can gain muscle and lose fat in a deficit. A person who has been lifting a long time or who is very lean can't, but normal people who hit the gym a little harder than before and need to lose a few pounds most certainly can.

There's lots of science on this, but it's Friday night, and I'm not inclined to do the legwork that others can do by simply googling.
  • scuba6randy
    scuba6randy Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Not true. A person can gain muscle and lose fat in a deficit. A person who has been lifting a long time or who is very lean can't, but normal people who hit the gym a little harder than before and need to lose a few pounds most certainly can.

There's lots of science on this, but it's Friday night, and I'm not inclined to do the legwork that others can do by simply googling.

Totally agree, My weight is going up in a calorie deficit, because muscle is much more dense and weighs more than fat! Loving what I'm seeing in the mirror.
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Incorrect.
  • Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    Options

so, these people gain weight? maybe they lose fat and gain muscle with some newbie gains, maybe and i'm even doubtful on that, but they don't gain weight. she said she gained weight.
  • Aviva92
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »

Incorrect.

maybe my wording wasn't exact, but it doesn't mean i'm incorrect. you can't gain weight while eating a deficit.

and 2 pounds is really nothing. it's just normal fluctuations.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You asked: What is a good range of fluctuation to have in maintenance?
    I can easily fluctuate 1-2% of body weight while maintaining. So 2lbs is probably not that big of a deal for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,550 Member
    Options

On a recomp plan it's possible, but it takes YEARS to see significant changes.
    Don't rely on google since there's a lot of broscience on this. Peer reviewed clinical studies are a better source.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options

Totally agree, My weight is going up in a calorie deficit, because muscle is much more dense and weighs more than fat! Loving what I'm seeing in the mirror.
    It's quite hard to gain muscle on calorie deficit. If you're gaining weight, you're NOT in calorie deficit with the exception of water weight gain from initial introduction to exercise or a very intense training session and water retention is high from repair.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Aviva92
    Options

okay, what? this makes no sense. you can't create matter out of nothing.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Don't rely on google since there's a lot of broscience on this. Peer reviewed clinical studies are a better source.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's only taken me a year to recomp 10% *on maintenance.* OP: I go up and down up to 10 pounds per month though and usually vary 2-5 pounds within each week.

• ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's only taken me a year to recomp 10% *on maintenance.* OP: I go up and down up to 10 pounds per month though and usually vary 2-5 pounds within each week.
    Congrats then. Personally I've not met anyone yet that's done it in that short a time who was a natty.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It takes years? Ridiculous exaggeration. You and I are old enough to remember when training without bulk/cut cycles (what is now called recomp) was the the norm for the general population.

I saw significant and measurable increases in 6 months. In my 50's and after decades of training.

Before someone comes along to say it's not optimal for muscle growth or fast - correct!
    If you are lean and at your training peak then recomp wouldn't achieve much but remember that lean and muscular is atypical not typical.

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I guess I'm confused because you say you've gained 2lbs that have stayed there for 2 weeks, then ask if it "keeps going up." But you've maintained for 2 weeks. Also, you ask: "However, if it keeps going up, how can I know if it's that I'm eating too many calories or it's all because of the heavy lifting?" Like I said before, your weight will go up if you eat above maintenance calories. Heavy lifting will minimize fat gains. Heavy lifting in a deficit or at maintenance calorie intake will not increase your body weight.

As for normal maintenance fluctuations, I am fine with 2-3lbs either way. TOM may be up to 5lbs. More than that, or my clothes fitting differently, and I have to evaluate my calorie intake vs. exercise.