How do you find your own purpose in life?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I don't have a purpose.
  • carolinagirl543
    carolinagirl543 Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    @clone. Wow
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I am intrigued by this discussion but would rather discuss it privately. I am not comfortable with the level of negativity I have seen here on the open forums. Feel free to message me.

me, too.
    Perhaps start a group ?
  • EveFlowergirl
    EveFlowergirl Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    help each other
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    clone7 wrote: »
    COme on..why so serious. It was funny godd.. @sinistrous

Another fake account.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Actually, while you might feel lost and without purpose having left an organized religion, you are still on a good path. Whatever you believe, your growth as an individual comes from challenging your own beliefs, thoughts, and actions to test them for truth. What is important is that your remain open to the process and not let bias and influence - yours and others - give weight to anything. And it will all break down to a few simple questions.

Anyway, purpose...for me, all I know at the base level is that I am blessed with a very positive attitude, and that my attitude can influence others. Even if I don't know them or I am not talking directly to people, I know how I act and what I say can help others. So I Focus on trying to say positive things, keeping a good attitude, and making other people's happiness a priority. That alone gives me hope and faith, so it is a purpose.

I also believe deeply in people being able to improve and grow, so I work in education and like to challenge others to continually learn. That also gives me hope and faith, so it is a purpose.

As fulfilling as those things are though, having a purpose as such does not complete me or make life any easier. It doesn't give me any edge over anyone, or keep me happy every minute of the day. Part of being content is being content with the every day chaos of life that can throw you off track and make you question life. In those cases, I go back to my basics of questioning my beliefs, fulfilling my purpose, and kinda floating in my own indecision while I work things out.

I'd also like to think beer can fit into my purpose in life.
    And maybe tennis.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought was Covey's second habit:
    https://www.stephencovey.com/7habits/7habits-habit2.php
    It just so happens that Covey is a Mormon. But it was incorporating this habit that led me to build my personal vision and mission statement.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I feel we all have an internal voice (not really, and no we're talking to imaginary friends) that drives us, tells us what we really want, tells us what would really make us happy.

I think when we stop lying to that voice and allowing it guide us, we can be happy with ourselves regardless of what outside forces dictate as "success" for us.

Sometimes my voice is as shallow as "do anything you have to get sex", but most of the time mine is pretty well grounded.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Try new things until you find something you really enjoy, then keep at it until you are awesome at that particular thing. It's suggested that it takes 1,000 hours to become great at something. If you can find a way to do that thing for a living, bonus. If not, then do what you've got to do as a day job to support being able to do the thing you are passionate about in your spare time.
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Serve others while respecting yourself. The rest will come, grasshopper :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I can see this from two different perspectives. I was once heavily involved in the evangelical christian movement, as was my family. I broke away from the church when I was in my early 20s...I didn't really believe...I wanted to believe (mostly for insurance)...but I didn't really believe and felt like an even worse individual being a hypocrite than simply breaking ties with my religion.

This did leave me lost for sometime because my religion taught purpose...it taught that I (we) were special beings and that God had a plan and specific purpose for my life. I'm sure this is much of what you are going through now.

Really, there's no easy find here...for me, it came down to an understanding that to presume a higher purpose, one must presume that they are special...I find it hard to believe that every single person on the planet is "special"

To that end, I've found purpose within myself and circumstance. Right now, I'm a father of two boys and a husband...my purpose is to be good at those things and provide as best I can for my family...nothing more, nothing less.

I do not believe that there is a singular purpose or higher calling...I believe that ultimately people find (or don't) purpose within themselves...and that purpose can also evolve...I do not believe in a fixed purpose.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    ZooksBrah wrote: »
    I am intrigued by this discussion but would rather discuss it privately. I am not comfortable with the level of negativity I have seen here on the open forums. Feel free to message me.

Don't blame you
    ^
  • Hearts_2015
    Options

me, too.
    Perhaps start a group ?
    not a bad idea at all... out the door but if this pans out..feel free to contact me. Last place I'd feel free to discuss this in any fashion is chit chat... or any open place on MFP... so yea perhaps a group?

Hearts <3

• Hearts_2015
    Options
    I think Manslow had it about right...self actualization...strive to become more than you thought you could, be more of what you are. So few of us ever come close to hitting our full potential. Imagine if you did..or even hit 90%.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hello, this is rather a serious subject but something I've been thinking a lot about and would like to hear advice/opinions from other people.

Everyone always asks "What is the purpose of life?". Do you believe we all have a purpose? Do you think our purpose is something given to us by a higher power that we must discover or something we create on our own? Do you feel you've found your purpose? If so, how did you?

A little bit of background, I grew up in a VERY religious household (Mormonism). I recently stopped attending church for a multitude of reasons and now I am not sure what I believe or what kind of life I want. I'd like to hear from a diverse group of people, atheists, devout religious people, and everyone in between are welcome to share their opinions and advice.

PLEASE, however, be respectful and don't turn this into a religious debate. Don't bash people's beliefs, or lack thereof. Thank you :)

I don't believe we all have a purpose in the way most people think. I think that some people long to live a purpose-driven life and that some don't. The choices we make determine whether we have a purpose or not. I tell people to find something you're good at that makes you happy, and do it. That's something different for everybody.

As far as my purpose, I don't think I can say it's just any one thing. It changes day in and day out.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I think Manslow had it about right...self actualization...strive to become more than you thought you could, be more of what you are. So few of us ever come close to hitting our full potential. Imagine if you did..or even hit 90%.

You would be a Tiger Woods in your world.

^^
    Totally agree.
    I don't know as you need to think, "I need to have a purpose" as much as just live your life and be happy with what you are doing. Do what you need to do to make your own life fullfiling and then things end up being your purpose for life. I don't think anyone can tell us our purpose, we have to create it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the thread carefully, but here's my take on it:

The purpose of life is to search for the purpose of life.