How I lost 80 pounds and managed to maintain my weight.

Options
This is meant to be a message of support and encouragement for all of you out there who are trying to lose some serious weight, 4 stone +. I've written on this in my profile too.

20 years ago, at the age of thirty, I was 9.5 stone (130 pounds) and a sporty type, mainly swimming and running. Unfortunately, I let myself go big time after experiencing severe stress of a professional nature for years and I subsequently adopted an inappropriate lifestyle. Before I knew it, 10 years later (in 2004), I weighed in at 16 stone.

In 2006, I managed to lose 4 stone, in 4 months. It was incredibly hard work and I was very proud of myself for achieving such a feat. Unfortunately, because I had no firm maintenance plan in place, I put it all back on within 18 months.

At that point, I thought I would never ever be the slim Steve I was at 30. I thought I would never ever have the determination to do it all over again.

In January 2014, I was over 16 stone (for 5 ft 6, BMI 36 +) and crippled with back pains, knee pains, ankle pains, etc. You name it, I had it. I could barely bend over to tie up my shoes. I felt like a wreck, mentally and physically. Out of desperation, I bought an exercise bike, more as an afterthought than anything else.

Two days later, I'd done 30 miles and I was hooked. I then started to eat very healthily (no more than 1.000-1.200 cals/day) and be obsessed about my weight, every hour of the day. It is this obsession that carried me through. On my exercise bike, to motivate me, I'd taped 2 pictures of me: one when I was slim, and the other one as me, a "fat pig". The contrast between the two was horrendous and made me angry. I used that anger positively.
"You ARE A FAT PIG": this is what I used to say to myself while pedalling away. I needed this sort of mental trick to motivate myself for such a long, tough time. When you have nearly 6 stone to lose, you need shock treatment. That's what worked for me anyhow, I realise it might not be for everybody.

I had come to hate my body in order to succeed and I felt I needed to tell myself that, instead of the mollycoddling ways that well-meaning relatives and friends have with grossly overweight people ("You're curvy", etc.). People obviously mean well because they do not want to offend or hurt, but it is counter-productive on the whole. I do not blame them, you cannot say to someone: "You're a fat pig and need to lose 50, 60, 80 pounds" but you can gently influence them to think this way. That is precisely what my (slim) wife did. When I understood her message, I finally clicked.

Within less than 6 months, I'd lost 80 pounds. I feel so much better, physically and mentally.

Since July, I have managed to keep the weight off through careful eating and exercise. I'm now 10'3 (BMI: 23) and plan to stay that weight. After failing in my first attempt in 2006, I know now that I will succeed in my goal to stay slim and healthy. I've got a plan and I stick to it. And I've changed my ways for ever.

You Can Do It. Never Ever Give Up.

Replies

• cmsu64113
    cmsu64113 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Yes a great job and a lot of encouragement to me at age 63 with years of yo yo dieting results.

In 1991 after having both hips replace after 5 weeks I was down to 172 pounds which was about what I was at age 18. Was at 250 in 2011 and lost down to 220 then in 2014 was at 250 again. Now I am back down to 220 with a new approach. I have changed my eat style and never plan to go back to carbs because of the pain they can cause me. After I got serious this past Oct at 230 and cut the carbs my pain level has dropped from 7-8+ to 2-3 on a 1-10 scale. The more weight I lose (at 220 now) I expect my damaged joints will have even less pain.

SteveEighty thank you for sharing and congratulations.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You have a great story tell. What an amazing job! :mrgreen:
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing the weight.

I definitely encourage others to speak kindly to themselves, and not to think of themselves as fat pigs... Though I guess it worked for you. And also to eat enough calories (1000 is very low).

Hopefully you're in a better place now and can maintain your new weight. I hear it's the hardest part :)
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Glad it worked for you , hopefully for most of us tough love will fall somewhere kinder but still truthful
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well done sweetie! You've come a long way. I love your 'piggy' mentality, I am going to give it a go myself! I'm glad you have a persistent wife - maybe you owe her a nice bunch of flowers?! :smile:
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Glad you found something that worked for you, but I have to disagree about the idea that it's going to work well for most people. You followed a very extreme diet that should only be done under medical supervision. And generally, shame is not a good long-term motivator. But, I am glad you are happy with your results, you worked very hard to achieve them!
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    This is over a year later Steve, are you still your new-slim self that you worked so hard to achieve?
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!