Options

Replies

• asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    marissla wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for responding. I use cups and serving sizes to weigh my food. A week prior to this I was sort of eating a lot! (PMS) I probably ate 3000 calories a day, so maybe my metabolize is burning like crazy and I just lost the weight somehow. Another theory I have is I might have grown (?) so my fat might have stretched out because even though I'm 20, there's some cases where girls grow at this age, and I felt a little taller yesterday. I'll email my doctor and make an appointment, but besides that I guess I have to calm down and not freak out...
    I know this is sort of stupid, but I googled "how do you know if you have a tapeworm" and I had 8/10 of the signs...

You have an explained constipation, diarrhea, gas, or other symptoms of IBS Check
    You have a history of food poisoning and your digestion has not been the same since. Check
    You have trouble falling asleep, or you wake up multiple times during the night. Check
    You get skin irritations or unexplained rashes, hives, rosacea or eczema. Check
    You grind your teeth in your sleep. No
    You have pain or aching in your muscles or joints. Check
    You experience fatigue, exhaustion, depression, or frequent feelings of apathy. Check
    You never feel satisfied or full after your meals. Check (?)
    You've been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia. Check

Maybe it isn't such a good idea to do such things like this, I don't have really healthy habits of cleaning my food...to be honest I barely ever wash my food... Oh gosh...
    But, yeah, I'll email my doctor and mention some of what you guys said + get tested for a tapeworm (if you can do that?).

I can confirm I am the tapeworm, I am inside your intestines. Please feed me ice cream and pizza.

Thank you,

Tapey the worm

DUDE, there's a book about tapeworms that basically ARE cognizant. They like take over the person's body and brain and some of them wind up living normal lives. Others are basically zombies.

So you're totally creepin' me out here, man.

13641105.jpg

You mean like the Goa'uld in Stargate?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    movies_alien_saga_gallery_4.jpg
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Don't go into the hot tub. Seriously. She's not your friend. :p

rquqt2frwpts.jpg
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If you had tapeworm you would be hungry ALL the time. If you haven't been eating raw foods, and you cook them properly then you don't have tapeworm. 3 lbs is a normal weight fluctuation. You aren't eating enough protein or fat probably (Looking at what you say you eat), and you're probably losing more muscle than fat. Add more protein to your diet and you won't look so "skinny". Loss of muscle makes you look skinny, not loss of fat.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Dollie712 wrote: »
    As long as the rapid weight loss doesn't continue, you should be okay. If you lose more than 10-15 lbs over the next week or two while keeping your calorie count up, you really should find a way to see a doctor. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with what Dollie states. When we lose weight the messages the brain gets from our weight controlling hormones can be a bit confusing perhaps. The brain normally selects a new 'weight point' and will work to maintain that figure over time. If you keep eating more and the weight loss continues you may have a medical condition going on.

lifeskittles makes a good point about looking at your intake of protein and fat.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Daily fluctuations on the scale are typical.

This. OP, you didn't lose three pounds of actual fat in a day eating 1700 calories. As for the tapeworm- if you really think you have one, you need to go to the doctor.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for responding. I use cups and serving sizes to weigh my food. A week prior to this I was sort of eating a lot! (PMS) I probably ate 3000 calories a day, so maybe my metabolize is burning like crazy and I just lost the weight somehow. Another theory I have is I might have grown (?) so my fat might have stretched out because even though I'm 20, there's some cases where girls grow at this age, and I felt a little taller yesterday. I'll email my doctor and make an appointment, but besides that I guess I have to calm down and not freak out...
    I know this is sort of stupid, but I googled "how do you know if you have a tapeworm" and I had 8/10 of the signs...

You have an explained constipation, diarrhea, gas, or other symptoms of IBS Check
    You have a history of food poisoning and your digestion has not been the same since. Check
    You have trouble falling asleep, or you wake up multiple times during the night. Check
    You experience fatigue, exhaustion, depression, or frequent feelings of apathy. Check

Maybe it isn't such a good idea to do such things like this, I don't have really healthy habits of cleaning my food...to be honest I barely ever wash my food... Oh gosh...
    But, yeah, I'll email my doctor and mention some of what you guys said + get tested for a tapeworm (if you can do that?).

Yeah, not a good idea to self-diagnose, as those symptoms could be from a hundred other things as well.

Weight naturally fluctuates.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest, how does one 'feel' taller?
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Stand beside a shorty...
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Mom was five feet and a quarter inch, and she said to feel taller (and to try and get taller), she'd hang upside down on the monkey bars when she was a kid. She may have felt taller, but she certainly didn't grow taller. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Dollie712 wrote: »
    As long as the rapid weight loss doesn't continue, you should be okay. If you lose more than 10-15 lbs over the next week or two while keeping your calorie count up, you really should find a way to see a doctor. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

I agree with what Dollie states. When we lose weight the messages the brain gets from our weight controlling hormones can be a bit confusing perhaps. The brain normally selects a new 'weight point' and will work to maintain that figure over time. If you keep eating more and the weight loss continues you may have a medical condition going on.

lifeskittles makes a good point about looking at your intake of protein and fat.

As usual. No.

:)

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

I can confirm I am the tapeworm, I am inside your intestines. Please feed me ice cream and pizza.

Thank you,

Tapey the worm

I laughed. I admit it.

OP - I have almost all of those "symptoms" too, and I can assure you that no tapeworm was found in me last week while I was in the hospital. They even did a CT scan, surely *that* would have found tapeworms, especially since they were looking at my intestines.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Thank you,

Tapey the worm

I laughed. I admit it.

OP - I have almost all of those "symptoms" too, and I can assure you that no tapeworm was found in me last week while I was in the hospital. They even did a CT scan, surely *that* would have found tapeworms, especially since they were looking at my intestines.

Unless he's a clever tape worm and he hid behind a kidney.... :laugh:
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Go see a doctor and stop self-diagnosticizing.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Eat more and no you don't have a tapeworm.
  • marissla
    Options
    Sorry for the late response, and I feel like I should be irritated, but the guy who made the "Tapey" joke was so funny LOOL! I made a call with my doctor an appointment, I'm scheduled tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, I weighed myself again today and I lost 1 more pound, and I ate 2,200 calories yesterday because of the fear of kept losing! First world problems, seriously, but it's scary.
    Also, I felt taller because I usually stand next to my mom and she's taller than me, but now I'm up to par with her.
    Another thing I haven't mentioned is that I'm a fidgeter. I have to move every 30 minutes, and I always bounce my legs or something. I googled fidgeting and it came up with that I can burn 500-600 calories a day!
    @ The tapeworm theory, I'm still kind of concerned of it because of today's weigh in, but I'll let you guys know what the doctor says then you can ridicule me lol.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    It was good you caught the calorie burn from fidgeting. I bet a lot of people do not count that. Just keep listening to your body. Seeing the doctor will just help make sure there are not other issues. You will figure out how much to eat to maintain.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response, and I feel like I should be irritated, but the guy who made the "Tapey" joke was so funny LOOL! I made a call with my doctor an appointment, I'm scheduled tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, I weighed myself again today and I lost 1 more pound, and I ate 2,200 calories yesterday because of the fear of kept losing! First world problems, seriously, but it's scary.
    Also, I felt taller because I usually stand next to my mom and she's taller than me, but now I'm up to par with her.
    Another thing I haven't mentioned is that I'm a fidgeter. I have to move every 30 minutes, and I always bounce my legs or something. I googled fidgeting and it came up with that I can burn 500-600 calories a day!
    @ The tapeworm theory, I'm still kind of concerned of it because of today's weigh in, but I'll let you guys know what the doctor says then you can ridicule me lol.

I really hope you take my next comment as I mean for you to take it, and not get too offended.

Have you ever heard the saying if you hear hoof beats, think horse not zebra? Basically it means the answer is likely the most basic one and not some rare disorder. Unfortunately, now a days, everyone looks up symptoms online and comes with the weirdest self diagnosis (the zebra) when the answer is actually simple (a horse).

While only certain medical tests can tell for sure, I am pretty confident to say you do not have tapeworm. Why? Because almost all of those symptoms you listed can be caused by much more simple things. They are incredibly generic symptoms, and tape work is actually quite rare. Did you know stress can actually cause all of those symptoms? Yes even rashes and digestive issues. Not trying to be mean but if someone asked you if you thought they had tapeworm, and all of their symptoms can becaused by stress (worrying about having tapeworm can make you stressed) or other much more common illnesses, wouldn't you choose the more obvious one? There are literally dozens of much more common illnesses that those symptoms match. For example: Lyme disease is very common and can cause those symptoms, anxiety, stress, lack of eating enough (this is probably a big part since losing weight), and the list goes on and on.

The only way to know for sure is by getting certain tests done. If you are truly that worried, see your doctor on Monday. Just do be surprised if he is condescending when you suggest tapeworm.