Calorie Deficit and Being Healthy

Hi everyone!

Something I just wanted to discuss is how many people will separate the idea of a calorie deficit from the idea of healthy eating. All users of MyFitnessPal knows how it works: you eat less energy than you burn, and you'll lose weight. Physics shows that this is true and it has been proven through countless studies; however, is this really an excuse to eat whatever you want as long as you're at a deficit?

I've lost quite a bit of weight through this technique. I went from 240 lbs to 150 lbs, but why did I want to lose all that weight in the first place? Simple: to live a happier and healthier life. I'd imagine this goal is the same for many. Sure, I can lose weight eating nothing, but twinkies and diet soda, and I may even lose all that stubborn belly fat in the process, but let's all step back and remember why we want this. It should be about overall health instead of just a dropping number on a scale.

My ultimate message: Focus on eating healthy and not just on obtaining a deficit. You can reach your short term goal like this, but it's better to focus on the long term. (Don't forget too to indulge every now and then as well though to keep yourself sane.)

Thanks for hearing me out, and good luck to all of you!

Ryan

Replies

• mobo1989
    mobo1989 Posts: 6 Member
    I think you're right Ryan. However, I think that, through the use of MFP, people will be looking for foods that have a low calorie density. Yes it's all about the calorie deficit, and you could eat whatever you want.

For example, here in the Netherlands, a normal sized croissant has around 500-600 calories. I used to eat three of those everyday(!) before I started on MFP and not knowing that those croissants contain so much calories. Now I could eat those three croissants everyday (and only those croissants) and still maintain a calorie deficit. But then I'll be hungry for most of the day. When I realized that, I started looking for foods with a low calorie density.

If you are really serious about reaching that MFP-goal every day or every week, then you will automatically change your eating habits in a positive way during the process to reach that goal. Those changes are necessary to reach your goal.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    ryanhorn wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Something I just wanted to discuss is how many people will separate the idea of a calorie deficit from the idea of healthy eating. All users of MyFitnessPal knows how it works: you eat less energy than you burn, and you'll lose weight. Physics shows that this is true and it has been proven through countless studies; however, is this really an excuse to eat whatever you want as long as you're at a deficit?

I've lost quite a bit of weight through this technique. I went from 240 lbs to 150 lbs, but why did I want to lose all that weight in the first place? Simple: to live a happier and healthier life. I'd imagine this goal is the same for many. Sure, I can lose weight eating nothing, but twinkies and diet soda, and I may even lose all that stubborn belly fat in the process, but let's all step back and remember why we want this. It should be about overall health instead of just a dropping number on a scale.

My ultimate message: Focus on eating healthy and not just on obtaining a deficit. You can reach your short term goal like this, but it's better to focus on the long term. (Don't forget too to indulge every now and then as well though to keep yourself sane.)

Thanks for hearing me out, and good luck to all of you!

Ryan

Actually every persons goals and "wants" are totally different.

And posts like these make me want to go eat all the pizza.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Good advice. I was coming up short on protein when I did the math and fixing that helped. Loading up on carbs just makes me want more. :(
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited December 2014
    Some people are not at all interested in being healthier. They really just want to look more attractive. That's their goal and there is no reason they should be judged harshly for it.

Some are wishy-washy and kind of want to improve their diet, but not a whole lot. Others are knocking themselves out trying to hit certain numbers every day or week.

It's all good. People come here for different reasons and have different goals.

I congratulate you on trying to make yourself healthier. And so long as you aren't going to try to sell us something dumb like Beachbody, I wish you well in all your efforts! Good luck!
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Some people are not at all interested in being healthier. They really just want to look more attractive. That's their goal and there is no reason they should be judged harshly for it.

Some are wishy-washy and kind of want to improve their diet, but not a whole lot. Others are knocking themselves out trying to hit certain numbers every day or week.

It's all good. People come here for different reasons and have different goals.

I congratulate you on trying to make yourself healthier. And so long as you aren't going to try to sell us something dumb like Beachbody, I wish you well in all your efforts! Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement!

You're absolutely right though, I shouldn't generalize a goal to everyone. I think many of us on this journey sometimes want to focus on ourselves, which I'm realizing I am guilty of after rereading my original post.

Side Note - I just like the Beachbody workouts like Insanity. I'm not a coach nor do I think items like Shakeology are a good use of your money when you could be eating real, wholesome food.