Kettlebells

schnarfo
schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
Does anyone use kettlebells? I really want to start but not sure what to expect? What weight do you use? How long and how often do you use them? What results have you seen?

Replies

• MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    I just started today and would also love some feedback!
  • frenchfacey
    frenchfacey Posts: 237 Member
    I saw someone today at the gym using kettle bells for squats, it looked super effective and really hardcore but.... It seems like a lot of weight to throw around if you don't have good form so maybe check out some YouTubes & then tell us about it :)
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    I have 2 more days of the DVD i'm on then I'm going to start a Ketllebell workout DVD i bought on Amazon...i've heard they are supposed to be crazy effective!!!
  • MaddieCakes06
    MaddieCakes06 Posts: 53 Member
    Bump!
  • MadisonLeo
    MadisonLeo Posts: 89
    LOVE KETTLEBELLS! I use them during Crossfit workouts. Great for all types of presses (chest, shoulder) and squats. I started at 10 pounds and now I am up to 20 pounders. I think since you can get a nice grip on them, I can use heavier weights and get more results.

You are sure to find some DVD's for specific workouts if you browse Amazon. Good Luck!
  • lmroessler
    lmroessler Posts: 29 Member
    I just bought some on Amazon and am using them in workouts from my trainer. I got three - 10, 15 and 20 pounds - for around $45-50. Shipping was pricey, but it was still cheaper than other sets I had seen. So far I really enjoy the workouts. Doing lots of different things with them and can tell they hit different parts of the muscle because of the shape and how the weight is distributed.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    My trainers abuses me with kettlebells a couple of times a month. Typical exercises include:

-Kettlebell swing (two-handed grip, swing kettle bell behind legs, and then use your hips to swing your arms up to shoulder height)
    -High pulls (two-handed grip, from a squatting position, keep elbows high, pull kettlebell up so that is level with your neck)
    -Rows (one-handed grip, lean forward on the opposite leg, rear leg on pulling arm side extended behind you, pull kettle bell up towards chest)
    -Figure eights (alternating one-handed grip, pass kettlebell between your legs, switching grip hands, in a figure-eight pattern)
    -Standing presses (one-handed grip, start with kettlebell resting on shoulder, extend arm up to a straight position, lower to shoulder)
    -Walking lunges (one-handed grip, one kettlebell in each hand, alternate deep lunges as you walk slowly forward)

And my personal hell, Turkish get-ups. Search for this online, it will be easier to understand by watching a video than to figure out the details by reading my words. :smile:

Perform each exercise for 8 reps, and do the entire cycle three times. Use a weight that is challenging enough to make 8 reps difficult, but not so hard that you can't complete the other exercises. You should be well fatigued after the first round, wondering how you're going to get through the final set after the second, and feeling like your arms are about to fall off after the third. :laugh: For me, that's the 12kg (26 lb.) weight. If I could, I'd smack my trainer after this workout when I'm done, but as it is, I barely have enough strength left to put the kettlebells back on their rack. :smile:
  • meghanmaeandrews
    meghanmaeandrews Posts: 53 Member
    bump
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    When I started doing Kettlenetics that one comes with the 4 lb starter kettlebell. I'm up to the 8 lbs now when I do kettlenetic workouts.But those are an aerobic type of workout. If I am doing just basic kettlebell type excercises though not like a whole aerobic type of workout then I will use a 18 lb Kettlebell.