Intermittent Fasting

Options
2»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    I eat all of my calories within a three hour window at around 5:30-8:00. Works great.

yeah, but you're 70 and you are eating like, 800 calories a day.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I have been eating all my 1200 calories in a four hour window. It works for me because when that window closes, I know I am done for the day. I like it, but it is still about calorie counting. I like knowing what truly being hungry feels like.
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I practise intermittent fasting (at least a 20:4) daily. It isn't a magic bullet for weight loss, and I'm not sure if there are any additional benefits in working out during the fasted state. But like many others, I practise IF, because it helps me stick to my allocated calories better. Planning one or two big meals a day helps me hit my macros as often as possible too. And because it's not a rigid diet fad/plan, I like how you can easily tweak hours for feasting/fasting for things out of the norm like social gatherings, or vacations. I find that I'm also more alert during fasting. Try an IF routine to see what works for you, if it works for you at all.
  • Doug_T
    Doug_T Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Following intermittent fasting works for me because of two things. It forces me not to late night snack and holds off my breakfast which keeps me from getting so hungry that I eat two breakfasts. So in that sense it helped reduce my overall calorie intake. Combined with of course exercise and proper nutrition it has been a lifestyle I have followed for quite some time now. I do a 8/16 day with the occasional 6/18 day and of course a few days here and there where I take a break. I've consistently lost weight during months where I practiced this regularly. Remember it's a lifestyle not a diet. Get your mind right and fit it into your schedule and it can work. I've done this with 12 hour overnight hospital schedules and a M-F 8-5.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options

I love IFing for a number of reasons. The whole 6 meals a day thing just doesn't fit me. Even when I was morbidly obese I didn't have a desire to eat anywhere near that often throughout the day. Fat, not fat, whatever, I just don't migrate toward throwing food down my gullet all day long.

On my fast days (true fast days, as in only water) I'm generally not hungry. I've been practicing fasting for so many years now that it's second nature. I've got plenty of energy most fast days, unless I'm coming off a very high sugar day.

It's just the perfect way for me to get a deficit in without having to concern myself with calorie counting, logging and weighing. It's also awesome for maintenance, allowing you some pretty hefty caloric allotments even if sedentary if you're on an IF schedule like 5:2.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have found IF to fit my lifestyle and physiology perfectly. I do 16:8 with sometimes going longer. I am not as hungry as when I eat many small meals. I don't need to lose weight, I have found no issues with regards to energy levels and exercise.
    Give it some research and try for yourself. I'd recommend that strategy when approaching any subject. There are far too many close minded people that dismiss things before trying.
  • raedwards89
    raedwards89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just recently started IF 16/8 and am liking it so far. It helps me keep my calories in control as I like to snack late night. Having that cut off point at 8 pm really helps!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    always cut using IF I use a 6-8 hour feeding window, eating 6 tiny unsatisfying meals per day just makes me miserable, I ain't about that life
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    eating 6 tiny unsatisfying meals per day just makes me miserable, I ain't about that life

Same here. I like to eat big and then be done with eating. A much better experience than nibbling pellets all day long, IMO.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I fell into that trap of eating little and often to keep the metabolism going blah blah I never lost an ounce!
    But imo I think giving the body a break from constantly digesting food could only be a good thing. Which is a big reason I started intermittent fasting. And finally I'm losing weight!