Busy Ladies -- When do you workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I work a full time job, have two kids that I solo parent 20 days a month, as hubby works for the railroad and is gone for 8 day streches at a time. I go straight from work to pick up my kids at daycare we go from there to the gym. They do martial arts two nights at the ymca and I work out when they are in class, the other two they play at the kids zone while I work out. They do basketball on Saturdays and I walk the track while they practice. Then we go hoe and do all the other stuff, homework, dinner, pack lunches for the next day etc. it's a super busy life but it's important for me to work out so I make it happen. When my husband is hoe I invite him to join me, sometimes he does sometimes he doesn't. But I don't change the schedule for him.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Busy is my life, lol.
    I have two kids and work a full time job that also requires me to attend evening meetings 1-2x per week.

Wake up at 4:15, at gym by 4:45, work out until 5:45. Home at 6. Attend to toddler, breakfast for two kids, lunches, showers, dressed, out and at work by 8.

On a meeting day its daycare pickup at 5, quick dinner, back to work 7 until 10/11.
    On a non-meeting day, its mom duties with dinner, homework, etc until kids are in bed by 8:30. Then I finally sit down. By sit down, its usually watch tv on a balance ball while doing dumbells or modified squats. In bed by 9:30, lights off by 10.
    Repeat.

During the spring/summer/fall, I'll replace some workouts with walking outside or playing with the kids outdoors. Add in soccer and three seasons of baseball games for my older son, and its busy.

I'm not complaining. Just sharing my story of how it gets done.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    5 am when i can.

when that's not possible, I walk the 2 miles to the gym, get in about 45 minutes of a workout around 8 am and then walk the remaining mile and a half to work from there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    First thing in the morning. I set 2 alarms: 1 for 4:40 am and another for 5 am. If its a run day, I make sure I'm out of the house by 5:30 am at the latest. If its an indoor workout day, I may snooze a little bit. Then on weight and swim days, I make sure to pack my gym bag and head straight to the gym after work, because if I go home first, I won't go back out. This has been working for me and on days when I really don't feel like working out and want to sleep in, I sleep in, but I make sure those days are few and far between. I talk myself into working out most of the time and am always glad that I did.

LOL- I have like 4 alarms- all with some sort of thing- pick the right sheep- shake the phone- do math- whatever.

I still am late to work regularly.
  • briebee7
    briebee7 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I run T/Th at 6am for 40-60 minutes depending on the day. Mondays are either Pilates or a track work-out in the evenings. Sat I do a longer run. Normal start time is around 6:30am. I like to get up and get it done otherwise it is too hard to make excuses. My husband likes evening workouts and so he goes for his swims after the girls are in bed (8ish).

On am run days my husband gets himself ready and the kids mostly ready (2 yr old and 5 yr old). I get home between 6:45-7am and speed around nursing the toddler, showering/getting myself ready, and helping with finishing getting the girls ready. Out the door for work.

The key is to make a routine that works for you and stick with it. Yes, time with family is important but so is taking care of yourself.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I work 36-44 hours a week, drive 1.5 hours a day, and instruct 3 classes a week on top of that. I'm as busy if not busier than most yet I manage to workout 4-5 times a week. It's all about time management, dedication, and getting your priorities straight.
  • ChristyB1117
    ChristyB1117 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I find that I have to get it done in the a.m. before anyone else is up. So my alarm goes off at 4:30 a.m. I did not used to be a morning person, but after a few months of it, I was used to it. That way I get in my "me" time before I have to be mommy and wife. That is just the easiest way so that when I get home from work, I can focus on making a healthy dinner, spending time with the hubby and kiddo, and getting ready for the next day. Some days, if I over ate, I get in an additional quick 20 minutes while my husband does the bath/bedtime routine with my son.
  • JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I get home from work around 5:00pm. I get my workout clothes on, and head straight to my basement for a 12 minute circuit workout that I create myself. Recently I started following bodyrock.tv workouts. They are high intensity for 12 minutes. And I do the laundry while I'm down there too :) Twelve minutes is nothing and I don't feel bad about leaving the hubs upstairs watching TV while I do it. It doesn't sound like much, but those workouts kick your whole entire body...they are great.
  • freespyryt
    freespyryt Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I work 8-5pm I get home at 5:30pm and luckily SO doesn't get home until 6, so I put on clothes and head straight to the gym to run for 40 minutes and then we go together to do weights at around 10pm. Obviously with kids that isn't really feasible, but I work full time and am going to school part time, so i have to fit it in where I can.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I am soooo not a morning person and yet I am in the gym at 5:30 in the morning! Why? By the time work is done, I do not want to go to the gym. I simply want to get home, cook dinner and spend time with my family and decompress. Since lunch time is not a option for me to work out, all that was left was early mornings.

Is it hard? Heck yeah! Every morning when I hear that alarm, I cringe but I get up, get moving and head to the gym. I make sure and lay out my shoes and workout clothes in the bathroom and have my water bottle ready in the fridge and my towel by my keys. I have mastered getting ready for work in about 30 minutes so if gym time runs over, I don't stress so much.

The side benefit to early morning workouts is the energy! I used to get that early afternoon brain fog and nod off at my desk. Now, that does not happen. I feel better and am wide-eyed throughout the day.
  • Sassiesue86
    Sassiesue86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a mom to a 3 and 1 year old and i call myself a sahm but i also started working at a gym daycare with my kids about 8 months ago so i can get a free membership as well. I go to workout class 2 mornings a week - cardio circuit and bootcamp, they are the most intense free classes they offer and they r worth the hour of intensity and tears;) i also wear a fitbit and that has helped me a lot too. I just hit my first goal weight And inever thought i'd get back here after kids. Its a never ending process of tweeking what workouts ilike and what times workbest but ido know a lot of people come to the night classes after work, make friends in class that become accountability, and that has been a big help to stick to a routine. Hope this helps;)
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I get my workout in whenever I can. If I know I have plans in the evening, I have to wake up early to get my workout in. If I have no plans that evening, then I can go ahead and sleep in a little and then workout once I get home. It helps to plan your workout week so you can try to keep surprises down to a minimum.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to write much because I have to get to the gym right now. ;-)
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    maiths18 wrote: »
    Working out in the morning is less practical for me as I lovee to sleep

Honestly, something's gotta give. I work 50 hours/week, have a 4yo son, and am working on my Master's thesis. I get up at 4:30 and hit the gym at 5 when it opens. I have to be home by 5:40, because that's when my husband leaves for work and then I have to get myself and my son ready for the day (shower for me, breakfasts and lunches made, dressed, teeth brushed, and dropped off at school) then I also pick up after work. You have to sacrifice something, for me it was sleep.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    It's all about time management, dedication, and getting your priorities straight.

This. I hit the gym at 5:30am or after work in the evenings. During the summers it's usually late evenings. Weekends any time of the day. I work 45-50hrs a week. I plan ahead. And I make social plans around my workouts.