Diet or more cardio

Options
Dear All

I have taken up running this year and enjoye it a lot. I have ran few 5ks and a few 10ks. My weekly mileage is about 15-20 miles/ week. I also try to do body pump which is great strength training workout once a week. Relatively healthy eating. But I am guilty of eating big dinners and coffee few times a day.

I am getting stronger in my runs. Signed up for my first half also. My problem is my huge stomach that won't budge. In fact with all this cardio, it actually looks worse. It sticks out and makes me look pregnant.

What is the Magic trick to getting a flat stomach. I don't care for a 6 pack just no flab. I also feel very hungry with all the running so am afraid for half marathon training. It will just make it worse. I am 33, 5'2 weight 124 lbs. any suggestions. Thanks.

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The magic trick is a caloric deficit.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Do you guys not get hungry with calorie deficit. How to train for a half marathon And maintain a eating with a calorie deficit.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Dear Annadel :grinning:

You cannot zap flab from one spot. You have to just lose and it comes off when it damn well feels like it, lol. It's stubborn that way!

Crunches, planks and six inches will help tone the muscles. So will weight lifting, I'm sure, but I don't do it and couldn't recommend anything special (someone else will, I'm sure.)

Congrats on your running progress! I'm very impressed and a smidge jealous. Good for you!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If by "hunger" you mean "always feel like I could eat more" - yeah, that happens, a lot and for a lot of people.

There's no problem running a deficit while training hard - just don't make it too big. Let your performance be your guide - if it starts to suffer, you're likely eating at too big a deficit.

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat at a slight deficit, since you're already at a healthy weight, and lift heavy to ensure you lose more fat than LBM.
  • Annadel
    Options
    Thank you all!! I am so frustrated with my belly. It's been my worst problem area. My legs, calves, butt is so toned with running. The damn belly:( I will look into calories deficit more carefully now. Looks like that's my only hope.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting helped me get rid of flab and get a super-toned body. I've been doing 2 days lifting, 3 days cardio (usually 2 runs and 1 run/circuit) but am about to switch to 3 day lifting and keep 3 days run/cardio. Lifting (free weights) really works your core.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Annadel wrote: »
    Do you guys not get hungry with calorie deficit. How to train for a half marathon And maintain a eating with a calorie deficit.

No, but I also eat quite reasonably (over 2000-2100 calories). I am currently in maintenance though (~2400 calories) because I kept feeling hungry. I'm guessing my last break wasn't long enough (only a week), and I've been at this for 6 months now. So a month off won't kill me.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If by "hunger" you mean "always feel like I could eat more" - yeah, that happens, a lot and for a lot of people.

There's no problem running a deficit while training hard - just don't make it too big. Let your performance be your guide - if it starts to suffer, you're likely eating at too big a deficit.

I agree wtih this. Which is why I had to raise my deficit to 2150 before I went on my initial break. When I tried 2050, that was still even too low. I'm guessing I'm closer to my goal than I think, and my goal might be a bit lower than I need, which is nice to think about!
  • Annadel
    Options
    I typically do body pump. I have never lifted free weights. Where do I start?