Help with muscle gain diet & workout (I'm slightly new to macros and clean dieting for muscle gain)

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I would increase fat intake and reduce carbs and/or protein a bit. 11% of total calories is quite low for fat. Usually most recommendations are no lower than 15-20%.

Agree. No way I could live a happy life with that little fat.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I think mine averages 20-30%.

I'd cry if it was only 10%
  • beastcompany
    beastcompany Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Not for nothing- but I find *most* of the BB.com workouts LOOK good b/c they are well packaged on paper- they have pretty pictures etc and show you what to do- but they tend to be overly complicated.

Every once in a while I get peckish and look at them- and wonder about doing them- and I just go "nope nope nope" to complicated.

Most people can get away with a significantly more simple break down and get out of it.

Don't get sucked into their pretty marketing- they are good at packaging things to generate interest.

So much this.

Rule of thumb...if it's found on the mainpage of BB.com...avoid it.

For a beginner, a P/P/L, or hell even an U/L, is likely too much volume and going to yield sub-optimal results.

Choose something more balanced.
    Full body, 3x/week frequency with emphasis of the program placed on compound lifts, establishing form, and structured progression.

You will benefit just as much, if not more, from a FB 3x/week w/ minimal accessory work, as you will with some rediculous P/P/L split hitting 3-4 exercises per group 2x/week.

It's totally unneccessary.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'd throw Wendlers in there too esp if he's got SOME time under a bar.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not for nothing- but I find *most* of the BB.com workouts LOOK good b/c they are well packaged on paper- they have pretty pictures etc and show you what to do- but they tend to be overly complicated.

Every once in a while I get peckish and look at them- and wonder about doing them- and I just go "nope nope nope" to complicated.

Most people can get away with a significantly more simple break down and get out of it.

Don't get sucked into their pretty marketing- they are good at packaging things to generate interest.

Yep. That, and most of them (at least the ones I've looked at) are going to take up an hour and a half - at least - every time you're there. You shouldn't need that much time until you're well past the "beginner" stage on your lifts. IMHO, anyway.
  • beastcompany
    Options

Love Wendler's program, currently on the 3rd cycle of the original outline.
    Going to push for 5-6 with continued progression then look to move onto Beyond 5/3/1.

• beastcompany
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Love Wendler's program, currently on the 3rd cycle of the original outline.
    Going to push for 5-6 with continued progression then look to move onto Beyond 5/3/1.

5/3/1 is obviously a well respected program. Personally I feel we get more benefit from it after we've already crossed into more of an intermediate level.

Also, agree about avoiding programs on the BB main page. They are there to sell you supplements.

Of course, definitley not something I'd recommend for a beginner, which I don't believe it was being recommended as such (hence 'he's got SOME time under a bar.')
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Yeah- I tried to caveat it based on the fact I thought I had previously read (now derp checks first post) he'd been lifting- but now I see I had a little mental misfire- only a few weeks lifting. so yeah- not one that jumps to fore front of the list for sure.
  • AMonari
    AMonari Posts: 49 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi all,

@beastcompany: Thanks for the reply. Firstly for the FULL BODY workout when you mention minimal accessories I guess you mean less complex workout routines.

I've had a couple of FULL BODY workouts based on a 3 day workout on non consecutive days such as the one below:

Workout A:

Squats: 3 sets of 6 reps
    Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8 reps
    Bent Over Barbell Rows: 3 sets of 8 reps
    Military Press: 2 sets of 10 reps

Barbell Curls: 2 sets of 10 reps

Seated Triceps Press: 2 sets of 10 reps

Seated Calf Raises: 2 sets of 15 reps

Workout B:

Deadlifts: 3 sets of 6 reps
    Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
    Lat Pulldowns: 3 sets of 8 reps
    Leg Extensions: 2 sets of 10 reps
    Lying Leg Curls: 2 sets of 10 reps
    Lateral Raises: 2 sets of 10 reps
    Crunches: 2 sets of 15 reps

I'm aware it is from b/building.com (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/5-best-bodybuilding-programs.htm) but with some help/advice I can simplify it and start off with that. Do you reckon it is a realistic FULL BODY programme?

This link seems to simplify the above workout program in terms of the number of reps per set and I find the advice on the link to be quite useful.

I specifically like these bits of the link

"You will do 3 work outs per week on non consecutive days. The first work out is your heavy work out. The second work out is your medium work out, use 10% less weight for your work sets. The final work out for the week is your lite work out, use 20% less weight.

Do a lite warm up with 1/4 of your work sets weight. Do a medium warm up with 1/2 of your work sets weight. Do 2 work sets with the same weight. Choose a starting weight and start light. "

"You will be running this program on a five week cycle as follows:
    The first week do all 4 sets for 8 reps.
    The second week do all 4 sets for 9 reps.
    The third week do all 4 sets for 10 reps.
    The fourth week do all 4 sets for 11 reps.
    The fifth week do all 4 sets for 12 reps.
    If you got all of the required reps on the fifth week then increase the weight by 10% and

repeat the cycle. If you didn't get all of the reps on the fifth week then repeat the cycle with the same weight. You shouldn't need more than one minute rest between the warm up sets and you shouldn't need more than one minute thirty seconds between the work sets.
    Do some cardio and abs work on non weight training days."

The progression plan as suggested in the forum link is what impresses me the most and it seems I'll go for it based on the simplicity of the number of sets per rep.

Any objections/suggestions specifically to the reps per set? Should I go for 4 sets of 8 reps or should I follow the plan as it is?

@jorocka and 3laine75: I agree with what you say. Some of the bb.com workouts on the home page are too marketing based. And regarding my body fat I look to increase it gradually.
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You need to be eating more than 2000 cals a day OP. 4'11 here on 2100 a day and only managed to gain 3lbs in 4 months, weightlifting 4 days a week. You are over complicating it with all this GI lark too. I see a lot of people making fairly lean gains with a daily dose of ice cream. Plus the calorie calculators are a good starting point, but ultimately they are not gospel, you may find you need to add more or less, which you will know through trial and error along the way.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Any objections/suggestions specifically to the reps per set? Should I go for 4 sets of 8 reps or should I follow the plan as it is?

If you're doing someone else's plan- unless you have a damn good reasons to change it- do it as they wrote it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Follow the plan as is.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

If you're doing someone else's plan- unless you have a damn good reasons to change it- do it as they wrote it.

Yup. Which is what you were told several times before.

3nfcosdpqypm.jpg
  • AMonari
    AMonari Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    @gemmamummy: Indeed I need to eat more than my current intake and I'm building up my new training days and non-training diet which I will post here very soon for feedback.

---

Regarding the workouts I'll stick to the full body workouts I mentioned in my last post.

I just realised I forgot to post the forum I highlighted in my last post. If anyone's interested here's the link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • beastcompany
    Options
    AMonari wrote: »
    @gemmamummy: Indeed I need to eat more than my current intake and I'm building up my new training days and non-training diet which I will post here very soon for feedback.

---

Regarding the workouts I'll stick to the full body workouts I mentioned in my last post.

I just realised I forgot to post the forum I highlighted in my last post. If anyone's interested here's the link: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843

Okay, that's All Pro. Run it as is. Make sure you stick to it and don't go bouncing around from one to the other as there are a few variations of Beginner All Pro. Ride the one you pick out till the end.

I suggest you start a log somewhere. It could be here on MFP or on BB. I'll follow you on either one. As long as you're being smart about it

This ^^^

AllPro's is a quality routine, and there is no need to change it, you're not going to make it better than it already is.

Simply run it as it's structured, and do so CONSISTENTLY.
    That means no program switching every month or two.

Partner that program with eating more, and you're off on the right foot.