Discoid meniscus

Options
Hi,

Has anyone had a torn discoid meniscus? I tore my lateral meniscus and was advised that I have a discoid meniscus instead of C shaped. A non-surgeon orthopedist said surgery in this case is not likely to have as high a success rate because the surgeon would try to make it into the C, which it never was, and it's hard to get it to the correct shape that way. I did pt for a while and felt much better for a few months though with activity modification (no running, little jumping). Last week I did a bit of jumping while dancing (with the kids, don't ask), and I feel like I'm back to square one. Knee is very stiff at night and sore. Wondering if anyone has experience with this. Still hoping to avoid surgery and do nsaid's, pt, and glucosamine (fwiw) . I'm also worried about cardio limitations. I walk a ton which seems ok, and was be to o spinning, but now even spinning is bothering me later in the day. Thanks.

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    These are the kinds of things to talk to doctors about. We don't know the structure of your knee.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    These are the kinds of things to talk to doctors about. We don't know the structure of your knee.

I've had a ton of pt and always had it help whatever the problem was. Right now I'm recovering from a broken leg and will be starting pt this week; however, last week I started doing aqua fitness exercises with a brace for protection (although I had full ROM even so). I'm going to do regular pt for six weeks until I get accepted into a hospital program that includes one day a week of working with water therapy.

To my good fortune, I didn't have meniscus injuries. But I've always worked with an orthopedist for diagnosis.
  • Alessa71
    Options
    Good luck with it.