After gaining muscle, can you still lose weight?

Options
I've gained muscle and now want to focus on losing the extra body fat gained and want to see the scale drop (I don't get on the scale daily or weekly even), but I still strategically watch what I eat. Even if I've gained "weight" in muscle, I want to lose about ten-twelve pounds of fat. So is there a good way to do that while keeping the muscle? I don't want to lose the muscle, but everyone tells me, "well now that you've gained all that muscle, you'll end up flabby."

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Figure out maintenance calorie needs, eat at maintenance for a few weeks or a few months, subtract 10% from that number and set as your daily goal, eat at least your lean body mass in protein or 0.82x your body weight (whichever is easier to calculate or you're more comfortable eating), lift heavy.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Of course you can or no one would bulk/cut.

Set a moderate deficit and continue with your strength programme. You might not cut all the fat first time but you can always do the whole thing again :)

You'll probably lose a bit of muscle but not it all. Layne norton has some good articles on carb timing to help with this - tried it out myself but it was a bit strict for me diet wise.
  • Spocky
    Spocky Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Of course you can or no one would bulk/cut.

Set a moderate deficit and continue with your strength programme. You might not cut all the fat first time but you can always do the whole thing again :)

You'll probably lose a bit of muscle but not it all. Layne norton has some good articles on carb timing to help with this - tried it out myself but it was a bit strict for me diet wise.

+1 and eat more protein and less carbs in your diet. Protein is very important to maintain or even grow muscle mass of course besides doing strength training. Drink a protein shake after your s. training.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This would be the "cut" of the bulk and cut. Eat at a deficit, continue to lift and make sure you get enough protein.
  • estherdfoster
    estherdfoster Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to lose it is rope jumping or some call it jump roping. I use this site to track how many calories I burn based on the speed. Glamour is one my magazines I read an on their site they have a tracker for rope jumping/jump rope. Here is the link http://www.glamour.com/health-fitness/activity/calculators/jumping_rope