Hit main weight loss goal - seeking additional advice.

Options
Hi everyone,
When I got started on this life-altering journey, I was 328lbs. I now weigh-in at 170lbs which is the BIG goal I set for myself two years ago. Having achieved it, I am now seeking advice to change things up and build muscle and drop the remaining belly fat. I am trying to eat more.. roughly a 1200 calorie diet composed of high protein components. But I hold all my weight in my stomach... any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

2wnzsls.jpg

Replies

• LoMyers
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    When I got started on this life-altering journey, I was 328lbs. I now weigh-in at 170lbs which is the BIG goal I set for myself two years ago. Having achieved it, I am now seeking advice to change things up and build muscle and drop the remaining belly fat. I am trying to eat more.. roughly a 1200 calorie diet composed of high protein components. But I hold all my weight in my stomach... any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

2wnzsls.jpg

WOW what an accomplishment!! Congratulations on your fitness journey. :smile: :smile:
    I'm not sure what your workout regiment is like, but some HIIT workouts might be a good place to start, as it will get your heart rate up really quickly and burn the fat cells that are lingering. Also, what's the diet like?
  • withintherose
    withintherose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    WOW what an accomplishment!! Congratulations on your fitness journey. :smile: :smile:
    I'm not sure what your workout regiment is like, but some HIIT workouts might be a good place to start, as it will get your heart rate up really quickly and burn the fat cells that are lingering. Also, what's the diet like?

Thank you! I eat 1/2 c (dry) of oatmeal in the morning before a workout. A quest bar after. Chicken and turkey meatballs for lunch and fish or chicken and broccoli for dinner. If I am still hungry before bed, a spoonful of peanut butter or a protein shake. (that regiment is typical, though I have kind of fallen off the bandwagon this past week with due to an injury).
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you want to build muscle and re-shape your body, you should look into lifting heavy weights. There are some really good "beginner" programs like Stronglifts 5x5, or The New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. Another really helpful book is Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

However, know that when you start, your scale will go a little wonky. Just don't worry about it for the first handful of weeks, and it will settle down.

Also, you're almost certainly going to need to eat significantly more than 1200 calories in order to put on muscle through heavy lifting. Your body will need the fuel, and it will use it, so even though it can feel scary to eat hundreds more calories a day, it *does* work.

You may also want to check out some of the weight lifting / strength training groups on the site. Those folks will have lots of helpful information.

Congrats on your fantastic accomplishment, and good luck on this next part!