cooking

so im having a hard time coming up with ideas for lunch and dinner. seems like every week we are eating, chicken(baked or boiled), spaghetti, tacos or steak. im so burned out . i only eat "fried " food 2 times a week if that , but i need help. i try and buy healthy ect., salad, fruits, and they just go bad. so i need help with ideas especially for my children 19 and 13.

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Don't know if this will help, but pork chops, lean cuts of beef, chicken with the bones and skin, and fish are all foods I eat a lot that don't have too many more calories.

My routine is basically cook the meat, cook some veggies that seem to go with it, and cook some kind of starchy side. That could be pasta or rice (for a stir fry), although I don't do either too often, or quinoa or wild rice or just roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes or perhaps a starchier vegetable like root veggies or winter squash. If the latter and I was cooking for a family, I'd probably add some whole grain bread for them. Maybe add some fruit too (I like to cook some apples with pork chops, for example).

I got past the "the veggies go bad" just by forcing myself to cook what's in the refrigerator as my veggie side or sides. Once you get in the habit it gets a lot easier and you can start better anticipating what you are going to want.

I also change up pasta a lot (when I do it) by creating a sauce that's basically just olive oil, various veggies, and some kind of meat (chopped up chicken, beef, or smoked salmon or shrimp are common options).