Made my first major goal - seeking advice on toning / weight lifting...

Options
When I got started on this life-altering journey, I was 328lbs. I now weigh-in at 170lbs which is the BIG goal I set for myself two years ago. Having achieved it, I am now seeking advice to change things up and build muscle and drop the remaining belly fat. I am trying to eat more.. roughly a 1200 calorie diet composed of high protein components. But I hold all my weight in my stomach... any advice will be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

2wnzsls.jpg

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Look into a beginner weight lifting program like Stronglifts 5x5. It's simple, doesn't take long and you can increase strength and build muscle quickly. I love it! And congrats on your accomplishment!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose belly fat, you're still going to have to be at a caloric deficit meaning that you will not be gaining muscle.
  • withintherose
    withintherose Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to lose belly fat, you're still going to have to be at a caloric deficit meaning that you will not be gaining muscle.

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I have been strength training for almost a year now. I was under the impression that the higher intake of protein aids that process. Muscle burns fat, etc
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm liking the look of Stronglifts 5x5 too.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

You can build muscle and lose fat at the same time. I have been strength training for almost a year now. I was under the impression that the higher intake of protein aids that process. Muscle burns fat, etc

Newbie gains perhaps, but not really.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

not entirely true. beginner lifters can and do get stronger and burn fat while eating at a calorie deficit. they can do this for a long time, like a year. eventually they will not be getting stronger, and at that time they need to reevaluate their eating.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    laineybz wrote: »
    I'm liking the look of Stronglifts 5x5 too.

Stronglifts is a great program for beginners. I'm likely going to switch to Ice Cream Fitness after the first 12-week are up though because it is a very similar program, but with accessory work.

And yes, I understand noob gains. I am going through them myself still, and my weight is going crazy because of it. But, those gains become less the closer you are to your healthy weight, and the more fit you already are before starting to lift.
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

OP - You are not building muscle on 1200 calories day. (Likely shedding fat and revealing existing muscle) Please look at some of my profile pics - you see definite muscle definition there but that is not muscle that I have built during my 90 pound weight loss. Recomposition (losing fat and gaining musle simulateously) is an extremely slow process where you are eating at maintenance or slightly above (which is no where near 1200 cals) and lifting heavy.

Have you calculated your TDEE?

• madrose0715
    Options

not entirely true. beginner lifters can and do get stronger and burn fat while eating at a calorie deficit. they can do this for a long time, like a year. eventually they will not be getting stronger, and at that time they need to reevaluate their eating.

Gaining strength and burning fat does not equal building muscle. I am much stronger than a year ago, more defined, less fat but I have not increased LBM while still in my deficit.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Gaining strength and burning fat does not equal building muscle. I am much stronger than a year ago, more defined, less fat but I have not increased LBM while still in my deficit.

Where did I say "building muscle"? I specifically said "get stronger."

I just want to make sure that OP knows that lifting doesn't require a calorie surplus.
  • madrose0715
    edited December 2014
    Options

I just want to make sure that OP knows that lifting doesn't require a calorie surplus.

I wrote that to you because you were responding with 'not entirely true' to the previous poster's comment of:

'If you're looking to lose belly fat, you're still going to have to be at a caloric deficit meaning that you will not be gaining muscle."

And that posters comment was true. That poster did not reference 'getting stronger' - he/she referenced 'building muscle'. That poster also did not make any comment about lifting. If your comment simply stated that the op can still lift while in the deficit, I would not have commented at all.

So, clarity. It's a thing, ya know?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I wrote that to you because you were responding with 'not entirely true' to the previous poster's comment of:

'If you're looking to lose belly fat, you're still going to have to be at a caloric deficit meaning that you will not be gaining muscle."

And that posters comment was true. That poster did not reference 'getting stronger' - he/she referenced 'building muscle'. That poster also did not make any comment about lifting. So, clarity. It's a thing, ya know?

Yeah, I know.