Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

My foam roller and I have a love/hate relationship

Options
I know I should be using it on a regular basis, but once I get started, it just hurts too much sometimes. What are some suggestions for the best way to use it? Links to videos would be very helpful!

Replies

• jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just got one too and was about to post asking the same thing.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it gets better. In the meantime, just don't press so hard. Let yourself work into going hard with the roller. It will take a little time, but not much.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My trainer insists that if is not excruciating, you're not doing it right.
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It really gets better and then you will push harder or start using harder materials like plastic piping etc
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I make sex sounds when I use mine...

Here is a really good use for flexibility for especially for athletes as well as older people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc
  • notsuchaskinnybitch
    Options
    Mine doesn't hurt enough! I need to start using it more- I will do tonight. Any videos would be good for me too. Will follow this!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    When it comes to foam rolling or self-myofacial release, if it hurts then it means you need to be doing it. Roll around a little until you find the tight spot / trigger point and then hold it on that spot for a minimum of 30-seconds; you can do 1-3 sets if you need. This is something you should do daily even on days when you're not exercising.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My trainer insists that if is not excruciating, you're not doing it right.

OMG that's true with the tiger tail. I hate that thing when using it, but love the results.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    Over time it should become less painful, if not then you're not doing something right or not doing it enough.

If a foam roller hurts then a lax ball will send you into shock, lol.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Over time it should become less painful, if not then you're not doing something right or not doing it enough.

I am just going to force myself to use it everyday until it stops being too painful.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

lax balls are what all the cool kids are doing. lol.

They suuuuck.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I've been foam rolling after every gym session lately. I have found my problem spots and just keep on rolling away. Definitely helps reduce soreness, but it can hurt like a mo-fo. The IT bands and my left calf are awful. Just awful.

I love/hate my foam roller too.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I've been foam rolling after every gym session lately. I have found my problem spots and just keep on rolling away. Definitely helps reduce soreness, but it can hurt like a mo-fo. The IT bands and my left calf are awful. Just awful.

I love/hate my foam roller too.

Try rolling prior to exercise, you will likely feel improved mobility.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I flossed my hips during my deadlift session on sunday... mobility improvement was impressive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

lax balls are what all the cool kids are doing. lol.

They suuuuck.

cosign.

I have one in my little bag of essentials- I never go ANYWHERE without it. Ever.

Secondly- ease up- yes it should hurt- but if it's so miserable you're only doing it once a month- you'll never get the body work you need in regularly- you have to be work into it so you don't beat yourself up so bad. The more you do it- the easier it gets - and the better the results. So find modifications- I support myself a LOT with my leg/upper body when I'm rolling my IT band- they are SO tight.

I also find it's easier for me to roll warm then just flat out cold. it hurts a lot more if I just jump on the roller than the difference after a workout- I can usually do a whole quick once over after a work out- I think part of that is I don't over roll there- I'm done- I'm ready to be done- so I roll then I leave.

If I do it at home- I'm cold- it hurts more and I take more time- then I'm really beat up and miserable.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i used to feel that it was a love/hate relationship.

but now we are more life & death.

I don't know if we'd survive without each other anymore. it's all love and survival together.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap roller. Bad idea. More like concrete than foam. I was bruised for days afterwards. That's normal right? Probably not. I persevered though and though it still makes me swear its definitely helping with IT band and calves.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I fell out with mine! (well, technically it is the OH's)
    She showed me how to use it. I promptly fell off it and twisted my hip - yep, fell off it whilst lying on the floor

so no real advice, but may give someone a laugh :)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    I love mine ....mine came with a dvd so I have no links sorry