My foam roller and I have a love/hate relationship

I know I should be using it on a regular basis, but once I get started, it just hurts too much sometimes. What are some suggestions for the best way to use it? Links to videos would be very helpful!

Replies

• jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    I just got one too and was about to post asking the same thing.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    I think it gets better. In the meantime, just don't press so hard. Let yourself work into going hard with the roller. It will take a little time, but not much.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    My trainer insists that if is not excruciating, you're not doing it right.
  • Aussie_in_PA
    Aussie_in_PA Posts: 100 Member
    It really gets better and then you will push harder or start using harder materials like plastic piping etc
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2014
    I make sex sounds when I use mine...

Here is a really good use for flexibility for especially for athletes as well as older people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc
  • Mine doesn't hurt enough! I need to start using it more- I will do tonight. Any videos would be good for me too. Will follow this!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    When it comes to foam rolling or self-myofacial release, if it hurts then it means you need to be doing it. Roll around a little until you find the tight spot / trigger point and then hold it on that spot for a minimum of 30-seconds; you can do 1-3 sets if you need. This is something you should do daily even on days when you're not exercising.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    My trainer insists that if is not excruciating, you're not doing it right.

OMG that's true with the tiger tail. I hate that thing when using it, but love the results.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Over time it should become less painful, if not then you're not doing something right or not doing it enough.

If a foam roller hurts then a lax ball will send you into shock, lol.
  • fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    Over time it should become less painful, if not then you're not doing something right or not doing it enough.

I am just going to force myself to use it everyday until it stops being too painful.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

lax balls are what all the cool kids are doing. lol.

They suuuuck.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    I've been foam rolling after every gym session lately. I have found my problem spots and just keep on rolling away. Definitely helps reduce soreness, but it can hurt like a mo-fo. The IT bands and my left calf are awful. Just awful.

I love/hate my foam roller too.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I've been foam rolling after every gym session lately. I have found my problem spots and just keep on rolling away. Definitely helps reduce soreness, but it can hurt like a mo-fo. The IT bands and my left calf are awful. Just awful.

I love/hate my foam roller too.

Try rolling prior to exercise, you will likely feel improved mobility.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I flossed my hips during my deadlift session on sunday... mobility improvement was impressive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

lax balls are what all the cool kids are doing. lol.

They suuuuck.

cosign.

I have one in my little bag of essentials- I never go ANYWHERE without it. Ever.

Secondly- ease up- yes it should hurt- but if it's so miserable you're only doing it once a month- you'll never get the body work you need in regularly- you have to be work into it so you don't beat yourself up so bad. The more you do it- the easier it gets - and the better the results. So find modifications- I support myself a LOT with my leg/upper body when I'm rolling my IT band- they are SO tight.

I also find it's easier for me to roll warm then just flat out cold. it hurts a lot more if I just jump on the roller than the difference after a workout- I can usually do a whole quick once over after a work out- I think part of that is I don't over roll there- I'm done- I'm ready to be done- so I roll then I leave.

If I do it at home- I'm cold- it hurts more and I take more time- then I'm really beat up and miserable.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    i used to feel that it was a love/hate relationship.

but now we are more life & death.

I don't know if we'd survive without each other anymore. it's all love and survival together.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    I bought a cheap roller. Bad idea. More like concrete than foam. I was bruised for days afterwards. That's normal right? Probably not. I persevered though and though it still makes me swear its definitely helping with IT band and calves.
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,520 Member
    I fell out with mine! (well, technically it is the OH's)
    She showed me how to use it. I promptly fell off it and twisted my hip - yep, fell off it whilst lying on the floor

so no real advice, but may give someone a laugh :)
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    I love mine ....mine came with a dvd so I have no links sorry
  • sarahkw04
    sarahkw04 Posts: 87 Member
    I LOVE my foam roller and lax ball for myofascial release - I agree with the sentiment of if its not hurting, you're not doing it right and/or you need to be doing it. Last week I had some lower back pain due to tight abductors/adductors. When I found "the" spot with my foam roller, I thought I might cry. BUT - instant relief when it finally released.

Check out Airrosti's blog and google "Foam Rolling" - they have fantastic tips and videos!
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    I use heat before I roll if I'm trying to fix an injury. So only roll after a hot shower or I use a heating pad for 5-10 minutes first.

My process for injuries or really right spots:
    (1) heat
    (2) roll lightly along the grain of all the surrounding muscles
    (3) go back over them with a little more pressure, stopping and leaning in to problem spots, but not trying to kill myself
    (4) use the lacrosse ball for cross hatching - small subtle movements against the grain in problem areas
    (5) if I must, I might lay into a trigger point on the ball. That usually leaves me feeling bruised the next day, so it's rare
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    For IT band, I hold a lot of my weight on my upper body so I can control the pressure. IT band always hurts bc it's always in use and impossible to stretch directly.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    My foam roller is looking pretty rough these days... it's all squished in the middle, sort of an hour-glass thing. I assume it's still doing its job?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    My foam roller is looking pretty rough these days... it's all squished in the middle, sort of an hour-glass thing. I assume it's still doing its job?

probably not as good as it could be honestly. I got a hollow PVC one so it wouldn't crush. I would replace mine eventually or use that for really tender areas and get a new one more up to the task for beating up the areas that need the attention. Not ever area needs the same level of abuse.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

I am just going to force myself to use it everyday until it stops being too painful.

trigger points really are a thing. a little googling on them might show you how to get more results for your pain.

but outside of tp work, i'm not as much a believer in 'if it don't hurt it don't count' anymore. just bruising your muscles feels good at the time but for me i think it's been counter-productive a couple of times. i collect massage tools like it's some kind of hobby, and lately my favourite thing is actually a squishy plastic ball about 5 inches across that i got from the 'toys for kids under 3' section of the loonie store.

brutality has a place, but the squishy ball is easier to control position with. and it just does a nice broad-based 'compression stroke' thing. lately i've been doing a whole lot of massage sessions [because local school] and it's given me a whole new respect for that kind of approach.