I need help :) pleeeeze

Options
I am eating a very low calorie, low fat diet. I need ideas, I am eating the same things over and over, if you have any ideas please share. I am getting kind of tired of the same things. I have my diary set to private, but I eat special K almond cereal with 0% fat milk, or honey nut cheerios, for breakfast, for lunch usually a couple of slices of low fat turkey lunch meat, and an apple or orange. For supper grilled chicken with some kind of vegetable, or salad. I am eating around 850 to 900 calories a day. I dont want to eat to many calories, because due to health issues I am not able to exercise as much as I would like. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Okay first off 900 calories a day is ridiculous and not enough. Exercise is irrelevant and not necessary to losing weight, a caloric deficit is. You need to eat enough calories to stay healthy and get the necessary nutrients, that your body needs (1200 is the minimum recommendation).
    That being said, eat what you ate before, only in moderation.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Pinterest account? There are all kinds of ideas to help you with eating a low calorie diet :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Okay first off 900 calories a day is ridiculous and not enough. Exercise is irrelevant and not necessary to losing weight, a caloric deficit is. You need to eat enough calories to stay healthy and get the necessary nutrients, that your body needs (1200 is the minimum recommendation).

I'm just going to follow you around the forums saying "yep" apparently.

You really need to eat more, OP. Is there a reason you're doing low fat/low calorie? Are you under a physicians care?
  • melaniedelane
    melaniedelane Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    My transplant doctor told me to lose 15 lbs by the next time he sees me at the end of January, and he said he didnt care how I did it, as long as I got it done. I dont know any other way to get it off, I take lots of medication to keep from rejecting my lungs, including prednisone, so it is sooooo hard to lose any weight unless I cut drastically back, or else I just stay the same. Thanks for the advice...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    My transplant doctor told me to lose 15 lbs by the next time he sees me at the end of January, and he said he didnt care how I did it, as long as I got it done. I dont know any other way to get it off, I take lots of medication to keep from rejecting my lungs, including prednisone, so it is sooooo hard to lose any weight unless I cut drastically back, or else I just stay the same. Thanks for the advice...

Are your doctors supervising this?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Oh bless your heart.

If you don't mind answering:

How much do you weigh now?

• melaniedelane
    Options
    213 lbs.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm very sorry to hear of your dilemma. 15 pounds in next 6 or so weeks will be tough.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    213 lbs.
    You will be able to eat way more than 900 calories and lose. How tall are you and how old?
  • melaniedelane
    Options
    My lung function had decreased by 17% when I went to my transplant doctor, and he thinks that it will help if I get some weight off, I have about 50 lbs to lose. I am trying really hard... I have lost 7 lbs. I started at 220 10 days ago.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    eat more.
  • Rockerbabe131
    Rockerbabe131 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned Pinterest: And I agree! Great place to look for low cal, low fat ideas and recipes. I made low calorie brownies last night, and low cal, low fat, low cholesterol "mini egg omelettes" in the oven last night. All they consist of are eggbeaters, peppers, turkey bacon (or ham), and you back them in muffin tins at 350 for around 20 minutes:) You can heat them up, so I made a big batch and am heating them up in the morning:) easy to do - easy to eat:)

The 900 Calories mark has already been talked about: and I feel that's not enough food, as others have said.

Besides that, your doctor NEEDS to be involved in your weight loss plans. By just saying "I don't care how" he pushes it off of himself. Let him know you're only eating 900 calories a day! Get him involved, or have him refer you to a doctor to help you with your diet plans!
  • buckinghnt
    buckinghnt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues. I have some as well and regularly get steroid shots in my spine after 3 surgeries. When I started getting them I started gaining weight. From what I understand, there isn't a whole lot that can be done about the extra pounds when on a steroid. It WILL come off once you quit the medication. I've spent the last 5 years getting 7 major surgeries and gained 65 pounds. I started a ketogenic diet. All that means is I can eat anything except carbs, definitely no sugar. Your body is forced to burn the fat it has stored instead of carbs or sugar. I allow myself 20g carbs a day. It sounds like a difficult thing to do, but honestly, its not bad. I eat a lot more fat than I have on any other diet and continue to lose weight. I've lost 9 lbs in about a month and a half. Your 20 carbs can be in veggies, cheese, yogurt (sugar free), from whatever you want to eat. I get a few of mine from my stevia in my coffee, cheese, and the rest in veggies. Oh, and if you eat to few calories, you might force your body into starvation mode, where it will store every single calorie you consume for fear of running out of them. Good luck!
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I sent you a friend request. :)
  • melaniedelane
    Options
    I take prednisone as part of my anti rejection regimen, I will have to take it the rest of my life, and as you know while you were on it, it makes you gain weight, so I have to do something drastic, or I will not lose any. I guess it is a gamble I have to take, because with 1200 calories a day, I dont lose anything. I am eating a healthy diet, with fruit and vegetables, I only drink water so no calories from sodas or anything. I dont know what to do, but somehow I have to get it off, as it is affecting my breathing.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I am so sorry you are going through such problems.

I think we are probably the worst people to be giving you advice, because your situation is so serious. You really should be discussing it with a medical professional who specializes in cases like yours, if you can find one.

I strongly encourage you to contact your transplant department at your hospital and ask for advice on how to find someone to supervise your weight loss medically that might be able to help you with nutritional choices.

And I really really hope this turns out well.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    I take prednisone as part of my anti rejection regimen, I will have to take it the rest of my life, and as you know while you were on it, it makes you gain weight, so I have to do something drastic, or I will not lose any. I guess it is a gamble I have to take, because with 1200 calories a day, I dont lose anything. I am eating a healthy diet, with fruit and vegetables, I only drink water so no calories from sodas or anything. I dont know what to do, but somehow I have to get it off, as it is affecting my breathing.
    You poor thing! So you've tried the 1200? You've done great with the 7 pounds, thats fantastic. Calculating your weight with a height of 5'2 (guessed), that puts your BMR at 1566.
    To answer your original question, try Greek yogurt with fruit and nuts in it for a different breakfast. Salads, quinoa, fish, lean meats, nut butters, nuts, avocado.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

^^^^ this 100%. It's best to lose weight slowly and in a healthy manner than starve yourself and lose faster; because eating so few calories compromises your health and well being. I hope you increase your minimum calories :). Take care :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    With your condition, are you able to exercise at all? Even just being able to walk for a while every day would give you a little more 'wiggle' room to eat a little bit more diverse diet...

P.S. Prednisone is the worst. I attribute some of my weight gain to it, but I was lucky and only had to take it in 6 week regimens.
  • MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200/day drink low cal shakes + 5 fruits/veggies/day + 64 oz of water. On the weekends I have an off day. SouthBeach has some good low cal recipes, so does Clean Eating & Cooking Light. I eat a lot of those Dole salads you get from Walmart & have apples w string cheese snack or a bar.