Just starting.....daily caloric intake ??

I have heard good things about this app and need to lose a good amount of weight so I figured I'd give it a try. My whole life has been a struggle with weight.... I've done it all... lap band, Jenny Craig, Seattle Sutton, dietician.... all with short term results. I really believe I am just destined to be a bigger person genetically. I have always had to restrict caloric intake to 1000 to 1200 a day to lose weight. As soon as I start eating like an average person 1500 to 2000 I put the weight back on. It's frustrating because I am so hungry on the 1200 its hard to function but when I eat a normal diet I gain weight. So I did my profile on fitness pal and as usual, they are telling me i'll lose weight on 2000 a day. Anyone else using this app had success with the same nonexistent metabolism like me? And how do you use it if they are claiming you can eat the amount you gain eating?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2014
    Did you pick the correct non-exercise activity level given to you?

This site is different from other sites where you pick activity level that includes hours of exercise a week (or worse, just days), but nothing about increased daily activity.

So sedentary is 45 hr desk job/commute with no kids/pets making you move around later, no long shopping time on weekends, little to know yard work, no big dinner meals, ect. Bump on a log outside any exercise.

If you have desk job but you do have kids and pet and bigger meal cooking and weekend shopping - that's Lightly Active.

If your job is more active, than look at descriptions.

Got more than 60 lbs to lose? Than 2 lbs weekly is likely reasonable if you use the program correctly.

Since your eating goal is based on non-exercise expected daily burn (eat less than you burn), you need to log exercise you do that increases that daily burn.
    Obviously your eating level increases the same amount then.

That way, exercise day or not - you have the same deficit in place for 2 lbs weekly or whatever you selected.

And that is much smarter.

But be honest and accurate with logging food and exercise.

Did you really walk 3.5 mph for 60 min? Or you started at 2 mph getting up to 3.5 finally in really 50 min? In which case take total distance treadmill gives you and do the math for mph and pick correct entry from database - that's accurate.
    Was spin class really 45 min of full-speed spin? or 5 min warm-up, and 10 min cool-down/stretching, so only 30 min spin class?

Weigh your foods. Even packaged items if eating the whole or partial of it.
    Calories is per gram, not per cup or spoonful.
    You gained on probably a very inaccurate 2000 calories logged. Probably accurate logging was closer to 2500 or more.

You've probably lost a great amount of muscle mass on prior diets, making it easier to gain each time, and harder to lose each time.

Feel like doing that again? And again?

Then follow the advice to keep a reasonable deficit - don't think you'll get yourself some benefit by attempting to speed it up.

Spend 2 weeks being very accurate with current eating level, see where you really are at.
    If indeed actually eating below current non-exercise day eating goal, then slowly increase calories an extra 100 daily for a week at a time.
    So if eating 1500 currently with accurate logging, eat 1600 for a week, then 1700, ect.
    Your body is probably so stressed out, it ain't going to work with you.

Any diseases the body is already stressed over?
    Because I'm sure your metabolism is within 5% of calculated by BF%, even if not by age, weight, height method.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    Did you pick the correct non-exercise activity level given to you?

This site is different from other sites where you pick activity level that includes hours of exercise a week (or worse, just days), but nothing about increased daily activity.

So sedentary is 45 hr desk job/commute with no kids/pets making you move around later, no long shopping time on weekends, little to know yard work, no big dinner meals, ect. Bump on a log outside any exercise.

If you have desk job but you do have kids and pet and bigger meal cooking and weekend shopping - that's Lightly Active.

If your job is more active, than look at descriptions.

Got more than 60 lbs to lose? Than 2 lbs weekly is likely reasonable if you use the program correctly.

Since your eating goal is based on non-exercise expected daily burn (eat less than you burn), you need to log exercise you do that increases that daily burn.
    Obviously your eating level increases the same amount then.

That way, exercise day or not - you have the same deficit in place for 2 lbs weekly or whatever you selected.

And that is much smarter.

But be honest and accurate with logging food and exercise.

Did you really walk 3.5 mph for 60 min? Or you started at 2 mph getting up to 3.5 finally in really 50 min? In which case take total distance treadmill gives you and do the math for mph and pick correct entry from database - that's accurate.
    Was spin class really 45 min of full-speed spin? or 5 min warm-up, and 10 min cool-down/stretching, so only 30 min spin class?

Weigh your foods. Even packaged items if eating the whole or partial of it.
    Calories is per gram, not per cup or spoonful.
    You gained on probably a very inaccurate 2000 calories logged. Probably accurate logging was closer to 2500 or more.

You've probably lost a great amount of muscle mass on prior diets, making it easier to gain each time, and harder to lose each time.

Feel like doing that again? And again?

Then follow the advice to keep a reasonable deficit - don't think you'll get yourself some benefit by attempting to speed it up.

OP, read this post ^^ again, and then again, and not just the sentences I bolded, although I think they are likely the key to your prior failures. Give it a month weighing all foods and logging accurately while eating 2,000 calories a day. Please don't eat less because you *know* you'll gain. Just give it an honest shot for a month.

55835802.png
  • Yes that's all great advice. I will give it an honest attempt. My activity level is moderate I would say... single mom with a 4 year old, my own home which I upkeep, a 40 hour a week job that requires 24/32 hours on my feet and walks and weekly gym trip. It's discouraging. Ive been to diet programs and dietician that at first put me on the 2000 a day diet and they themselves were surprised when I didn't lose. 25 years of this yoyo dieting and it seems its always been a low calorie diet was what worked, something I could never maintain and feel good. Thanks for your input.
  • heybales
    Good honest choice on activity level then with home and job like that, except there is no Moderate level on MFP.

That is the other TDEE tables which includes all planned exercise, but doesn't include increased daily activity level. And that would be correct there likely.

On MFP, Lightly Active would just be the child and home upkeep increased activity. Work would also be Lightly Active by itself it sounds like.
    Put the 2 together, you could be Active - which is the MFP description above Lightly Active.
    - But I'd wager you are actually inbetween. So take Lightly Active.

BUT - log all your exercise accurately for time and intensity, and eat those calories back as you are supposed to with the MFP program.

You burn more, you eat more. Keep that 1000 cal deficit only, don't make it bigger.
    That's just for 2 weeks I'd suggest, since you only have 60 to lose. Then switch it to 750 cal deficit, or 1.5 weekly.

And you take too big a deficit, you will slow your body down, beyond just the lack of muscle mass. But that maxes out, and then you keep eating less, you eventually will lose again, as you showed.
    But the results of suppressed system like that is how easy to gain, and it's hard to adhere, and losing muscle mass easier in that state with a deficit likely over 50%.

Just think of that, eating less than half what the body could eat and would like to have. Hope that sounds extreme.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    You have excellent advice here - I agree with the Lightly Active setting, but if you are morbidly obese you could get away with sedentary then work up from there - if you do workouts then log them (eat back 50 - 75% of MFP database calories though)

It is all about WEIGHING your food on a digital scale preferably (can get one for a few dollars if you don't have) - accurately and not cheating yourself

it's about committing

from your OP a couple of things to think about - are you making excuses when you say the following

" really believe I am just destined to be a bigger person genetically." - nope
    "nonexistent metabolism like me" - no such thing, you'd be dead

work on these attitudes and stop allowing yourself excuses. We all have them it's what keeps us fat for decades (personally made them for 15 years, now I'm not). Slimming is not about motivation, it's about commitment:
    - busy mom - so what?
    - work full-time - so what?
    - disability, sickness or stress - so what?

one of my favourite lines, picked up on MFP was

Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Pick your hard.

• " really believe I am just destined to be a bigger person genetically." - nope

Thanks but this is not what I'm looking for...I was looking for advice from ppl like me. I have been at this my whole life and as I said, I have had many dieticians shocked I wasn't losing weight on their program. And yes I weigh and measure my food and before my daughter, was in the gym five days a week.

Also before you go dismissing some ppl are genetically dispositioned to have weight issues... there are issues such as thyroid disease and diabetes, which can make it more difficult to control weight.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Pamip1968 wrote: »

" really believe I am just destined to be a bigger person genetically." - nope

Also before you go dismissing some ppl are genetically dispositioned to have weight issues... there are issues such as thyroid disease and diabetes, which can make it more difficult to control weight.

I feel your pain and I too have the mentioned health issues. I had just about given up, thinking "I'm just meant to be a fat old lady". I have only been here for 40 days but this is the first time I have been able to lose weight and not felt deprived and like I was on a diet. I have kept my diabetes under control without too much food restriction. The thing that works for me on MFP is that I can get enough food. *I like to eat*.
    I find foods with fewer calories and get to eat more than 1/4 cup of something. I eat lots of chicken (often boiled), veggies (often baked in oven with cooking spray on pan and seasoning) and even still get to have my evening cocktail (vodka and diet tonic) and two or three animal crackers if I have a sweet tooth.
    I would definitely look at recalculating your calorie intake as that sounds really high? I eat 1200 calories a day and am just so excited that I rarely get hungry. Slowly try different things like fewer carbs or more protein for a while. Since your diary is not viewable, no one can give you specific suggestions. Since our bodies all react differently, we never know what is keeping the weight on. The thing is, I don't feel like I will ever go back to eating "like a normal person", because too many normal people are FAT. That is what I always did after each diet and how I got back to 60 pounds overweight. This has to become a new lifestyle, even though we will be able to slowly add calories after we reach our goals.

You can do this! If the commitment is there and you stick to the plan, it will come off.
    Don't give up! Good luck.
  • heybales
    edited December 2014
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    I would definitely look at recalculating your calorie intake as that sounds really high? I eat 1200 calories a day and am just so excited that I rarely get hungry.

Since no stats at all have been provided for you to know if that is high or low for the OP, that is terrible advice. How can you possibly compare 1 variable with all the others unknown? My car gets 35 mpg, your car should be able to get better than 20 mpg. Just doesn't make sense.
    You are going on your own experience of calorie levels, and if 1200 is the only number you've ever known, then you are rather limited in your experience.

While 1200 may be bare bones bottom for safety for average sedentary woman (whole daily burn would be 2000) - OP is NOT sedentary by a long-shot, work or home or exercise, and with a need to lose weight, obviously not average right now either.
    - And if MFP recommended 2000, you can discern either there is enough to lose, or she did not pick the max 2 lbs weekly that almost everyone that gets 1200 has taken, in which case good for her trying to be more reasonable and taking what was recommended during setup.

Some good motivational tips though, and perhaps experience on eating what could be helpful.
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    DamitJanit wrote: »
    I would definitely look at recalculating your calorie intake as that sounds really high? I eat 1200 calories a day and am just so excited that I rarely get hungry.

Since no stats at all have been provided for you to know if that is high or low for the OP, that is terrible advice. How can you possibly compare 1 variable with all the others unknown? My car gets 35 mpg, your car should be able to get better than 20 mpg. Just doesn't make sense.
    You are going on your own experience of calorie levels, and if 1200 is the only number you've ever known, then you are rather limited in your experience.

While 1200 may be bare bones bottom for safety for average sedentary woman (whole daily burn would be 2000) - OP is NOT sedentary by a long-shot, work or home or exercise, and with a need to lose weight, obviously not average right now either.
    - And if MFP recommended 2000, you can discern either there is enough to lose, or she did not pick the max 2 lbs weekly that almost everyone that gets 1200 has taken, in which case good for her trying to be more reasonable and taking what was recommended during setup.

Some good motivational tips though, and perhaps experience on eating what could be helpful.

I only suggested a possible recalculation because she said she had always lost weight on 1000 to 1200 calories a day and gained at 1500-2000. Excuse me for giving a suggestion without all the facts. I just want to encourage her to give MFP a chance, but if she knows she won't lose at 2000 calories a day, it doesn't seem like anything will change.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Wait ... OP Pamip1968 ... Did I read you have had the lap band done? ..

Diet after gastric banding
    You had laparoscopic gastric banding. This surgery made your stomach smaller by closing off part of your stomach with an adjustable band. After surgery you will eat less food, and you will not be able to eat quickly.

Your doctor, nurse, or dietitian will teach you about foods you can eat and foods you should avoid. It is very important to follow these diet guidelines.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    OP do you have diabetes or a thyroid condition?
    How much exercise are you doing per week?
    How big is the calorie deficit you are setting? Is it for 2lb a week? 2lb a week is only any ood if you cna cope with 1200 calories. If you set a more modest traget like 1lb a week you would have more calories to eat, would lose weight slower, but it would be consistent, easier and thus more sustainable.
  • Yes I have a lap band. I haven't been able to get the adjustments done like is required to use it too full potential. I originally lost almost 50 lb. And have slowly put 30 back on. It does restrict my intake somewhat, I would prob be even more overweight without it.
    I am currently being tested for thyroid issues seeing my mother was diagnosed with thyroid disease in her 40s.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Just what they said, weigh your food.
  • heybales
    NK1112 wrote: »
    Wait ... OP Pamip1968 ... Did I read you have had the lap band done? ..

Diet after gastric banding
    You had laparoscopic gastric banding. This surgery made your stomach smaller by closing off part of your stomach with an adjustable band. After surgery you will eat less food, and you will not be able to eat quickly.

Your doctor, nurse, or dietitian will teach you about foods you can eat and foods you should avoid. It is very important to follow these diet guidelines.

Good call, considering the order it was listed in failed attempts, I assumed it was far enough in the past that it was no longer an influence, as I've heard of others that have gotten around those types of procedures and no longer had the benefit.
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Also remember that everything is an estimate. If, after a couple of weeks of logging everything, and coming in under your caloric target and still not losing weight, you can always drop your calorie goal. Just do it slowly, there aren't any quick answers, this is the rest of your life you are talking about.