How do you ease muscle spasms in hip at home?

Options
My left hip has been bugging me since Friday and they've only seem to come stronger and stronger. I see a chiropractor for this on-going issue, but since I'm not able to see him right away, is there anything I can do to make the spasms less severe or manage the pain?

Replies

• 13chantie13
    13chantie13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As odd as it may sound.....essential oils have been the remedy for me! I never really believed essential oils were more than a scam until I finally had no other alternative left for the muscle spasms and pain I had at night after hard excersise. I couldn't sleep and the pain and spasms were relentless until I finally tried essential oils. I use both deep relief and pan away on the muscles in my legs. It is by far the best thing I have EVER tried. I use oils by young living.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Try massage/foam roller maybe?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »

How the hell was the only legit answer flagged as abuse? wth?

Foam roll it, or hit it with a lacross ball, and try some massage. Also, make sure your electrolytes aren't out of whack.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I agree with the spammer/abuser - roll it.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Agree with rolling it. Also do a search for stretching exercises for the psoas muscles and hip flexors.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I agree with rolling. I also like epsom salt baths and electrotherapy using a TENS unit, they sell them at any big pharmacy for 50 bucks or so. It is a little remote looking thing that has a couple pads attached. You set the pads on the body part and turn it on and it sends light electrical pulses into the muscle. Chiropractors use them for soft tissue damage.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

How the hell was the only legit answer flagged as abuse? wth?

you've got to love MFP forums!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Lax ball. It'll let you pin point better than a roller.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    lizfiz50 wrote: »
    I see a chiropractor for this on-going issue

What did the chiro says was the cause of it?

• robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    lean against a wall and place a tennis ball between you and the wall. Move slow till you find the spot that hurts, hold that spot for 30 seconds, release and repeat.
    I also have hip issues and use a foam roller almost everyday.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

this for sure. foam roller + IT band stretches = HUGE difference in serious hip issues.

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Have you tried magnesium bath or getting mag and potassium supplement? Is it muscle weakness or a hip problem?
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Needling might be a consideration as well. But as someone who has had these issues have you been to an actual hip dr. These are usually early signs of wear or loss of cartilage in the hip. But can be bursilitis or the psoas band, my solution is lots of self pinpoint massage with your knuckle by your tailbone and ice at that area. Lots of ice. Sounds crazy but ice helps inflammation more than anything
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I do these three things to fix shoulder pain I've suffered.

- have you tried taking a magnesium supplement right before bed? It relaxes all your muscles.
    - Essential oils work lavender oil for me.
    - Also.. the foam roller.. or go get a professional massage and tell them where you pain is and have them work on that area. sometimes I go a few weeks in a row. .then it is fixed.

All these things together will fix you right up.