Set point theory

Options
I'm scared of what my "set point" may actually be...I was 118 and my biggest weight when I was binge eating & drinking all the time, and 85 at my lowest last November 2013 due to an eating disorder...

Any input on how to figure out set point?

I'm 5'5 24 years old

Replies

• kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This might be worth a look, although I'm not convinced either way, http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/BIDMCInteractive/BreakThroughYourSetPoint/WeekOneTheScienceofSetPoint.aspx Their advice to aim for 10% weight loss at a time followed by 6 months of maintenance may be worth considering.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of what my "set point" may actually be...I was 118 and my biggest weight when I was binge eating & drinking all the time, and 85 at my lowest last November 2013 due to an eating disorder...

I'm 5'5 24 years old

i wouldnt worry about 'set point' so much as speaking to a doctor about a healthy weight for your body so you can repair some of the damage you've done.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Set point theory is BS - you should instead focus on getting enough nutrients and calories to get to a healthy weight and learn to stay there. Talk to your doctor about your concerns!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have found set point a useful concept but you can't really figure it out except through experience and even then there are so many variables it will be always be somewhat vague.

I would agree not to worry about it. Certainly i'd suggest at 24 years of age and 5'5" it should be a lot less than 85kg. you may be able to get away with losing quite fast in the beginning but it will slow down and then you should go with patience and persistence with the long haul.

And even then, you may never be able to totally relax. I find when i reach goal and take the foot off the pedal despite my best intentions, the weight starts to climb and there's a tendency for old habits to come back. right now i'm in this phase, although i have so far successfully cured myself of my sugar habit. I am still tending to eat too much and do to little.

So with that in mind, look at your weight reduction and management as a phase thing. If you stick with your program you should see a steady weight decline into your healthy weight range. Just do all the right things and minimise the wrong things. I find coming up with strategies and rules for myself helps me stay on the straight and narrow as well as being really organised, committed and a few other things.

Weight loss will slow down quite a bit in the bottom end of it and you may stall a few times unless you recognise you have to adjust your calorie intake a little. Over all i find it easier and quicker and more painless to reduce calories minimally all the way down rather than a lot at the beginning for quick results. I found my results quite quick enough and i enjoyed the process.

At certain points along the way you will become tired of it all. You'll need to adjust and change things around so that it continues to be manageable.

At the end, you'll have to have another plan for maintenance. Which you think about well before you get there even if its not quite what you end up doing when you get there.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I would agree not to worry about it. Certainly i'd suggest at 24 years of age and 5'5" it should be a lot less than 85kg.

I think OP is talking about pounds, given that she said she was 85 when she had an eating disorder.

• hummingbirdhope
    hummingbirdhope Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I would agree not to worry about it. Certainly i'd suggest at 24 years of age and 5'5" it should be a lot less than 85kg.

I think OP is talking about pounds, given that she said she was 85 when she had an eating disorder.

Yea...85 lb not kg lol
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for others but I don't appear to have a set point. I think all you can do is find out what weight is healthy for your body type and eat the number of calories required to stay at that weight.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    OP, 118 is still a relatively low weight for your height. I think right now you need to focus on your body issues and eating disorder rather than worry about some sort of "set point."

ETA: For reference, I'm 5'6" and 114 lbs in my left profile pic and 124 lbs in my right profile pic. The right profile pic is akin to you being 118 lbs @ 16% body fat. If you think that pic looks fat, then I can't help you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5 24 years old

118 at 5'5" was your "biggest"?

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I'm 5'5 24 years old

I know, but that's what happens when you live your life with EDs.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    OP, 118 is still a relatively low weight for your height. I think right now you need to focus on your body issues and eating disorder rather than worry about some sort of "set point."

ETA: For reference, I'm 5'6" and 114 lbs in my left profile pic and 124 lbs in my right profile pic. The right profile pic is akin to you being 118 lbs @ 16% body fat. If you think that pic looks fat, then I can't help you.

agreed.

My bestie is 5'5" and looks fierce at

Focus should be on returning the healthy relationship with food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm 5'5 24 years old

I know, but that's what happens when you live your life with EDs.

Yup. Just restating it for emphasis. I get the sense she believes she's over or has control of the ED? Her posts suggest otherwise.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    I don't believe set points are legitimate. Many people get into the single/low double digit body fat percentages if they attempt them. If there was a true set point, they shouldn't be able to achieve those parameters even if they are eating well and exercising.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Isn't it true though that there are some variations occurring naturally among different people? I mean, by the time I reached age 17 I had 9 or 10% body fat without working out at all, and have effortlessly maintained a body fat below 10% for the last 3 years. I know that younger people are generally leaner, but I don't think it's very common for 18-20 year old guys to have single digit body fat without working out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't believe set points are legitimate. Many people get into the single/low double digit body fat percentages if they attempt them. If there was a true set point, they shouldn't be able to achieve those parameters even if they are eating well and exercising.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The perfect thing to tell a girl with an ED. woot!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Isn't it true though that there are some variations occurring naturally among different people? I mean, by the time I reached age 17 I had 9 or 10% body fat without working out at all, and have effortlessly maintained a body fat below 10% for the last 3 years. I know that younger people are generally leaner, but I don't think it's very common for 18-20 year old guys to have single digit body fat without working out.
    If one has those percentages, it's only because they are burning more than they consume.
    The body is VERY efficient at storing energy. It CAN'T store energy that's not in surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I'm 5'5 24 years old
    Honestly, it still doesn't sound like you've completely dealt with your ED. There are free hotlines that you can contact to help you with it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    If one has those percentages, it's only because they are burning more than they consume.
    The body is VERY efficient at storing energy. It CAN'T store energy that's not in surplus.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly, you're saying it's not exactly true that some people will naturally have lower or higher body fat than average?

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Did you ever noticed that you were always allowed for you to raise your set point under the theory but never lower it? I know it was supposed to be based on homeostasis, which is absolutely rock solid, but fat stores aren't the same as body temperature and hormone levels. According to the theory I shouldn't be able to stay at the 10-12% BF range I now have because I was at 32%+ recently. Now, there was no issue in the theory to allow me to go from 8-10% when I was 28 to 32%+ when I was 44 but going down is impossible? Not much of a "set point", is it?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    Ok, so if I understand this correctly, you're saying it's not exactly true that some people will naturally have lower or higher body fat than average?

The answer would be that people will vary on body fat "naturally" since there are genetic influences to fat storage etc, but exactly what is "naturally" higher or lower is not easy to answer since the person you see is both a product of environment and heredity.