I'm in winter hibernation mode. How to stay motivated to workout during those cold winter nights?

Options
So I need to get my lazy, freezing *kitten* to the gym. Some people say "Well, just do it!" But if it was that easy, I didn't have to post this on here :stuck_out_tongue:

So here's my routine:
I get up, go to school, come back home from school and get directly in bed under my warm blankets and sometimes I don't even make dinner.

I moved from the Caribbean (Aruba, to be exact) to The Netherlands about three years ago and I still don't understand how people can function during the winter months.

How do I motivate myself to go to the gym? Please give me your tips because otherwise the gym wont see me till spring :wink:

Thanks guys!

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Think of how amazing you'll look in Summer if you keep going to the gym now :)

I live in England, so I'm used to crappy weather lol. We do have ok Summers, but hardly comparable to Aruba. It's cold now, but not cold enough to stop me going to the gym.

I'm thinking of how good I'm going to look in my sundresses next year, that motivates me.

Maybe go straight to the gym from school (by school I assume you mean university? School in England is where you go until you're 18) and get changed there, then you can't go home and get all comfortable. You'll soon warm up exercising in the gym :)
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When I know I have a long day ahead of me and I leave at like 5:45 in the morning, not to return until at least 6pm, I leave out my gym clothes and set things up at home to remind myself to stick with the routine and keep my appointments. On gym days I go to work in my gym clothes and sneakers, and just head straight there after work. I treat working out like any other appointment not to be missed - work, doctors, grooming, walking the dog, etc. You get the idea. Good luck!
  • DarkStarBurning
    DarkStarBurning Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, I'm missing the nice runs out in the sun too and the wind right now in The Netherlands is bitter :/ To keep me going I've been doing workouts from YouTube in my living room... it's always nice and warm there.
    Staying away from all the yummy winter foods is another matter. The constant hunger is driving me crazy lol Strangely I just don't feel like a salad at this time of year...
  • zac775
    zac775 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Just focus on why you are on this journey, and use that to get you *kitten* to the gym. Thats what I do, and it works. Wrap up, get yourself there, workout getting hot in the process, hot shower, wrap up and then back home boom, transformation complete!!
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Dance on your livingroom floor.... YouTube is overflowing with work-out and dancing! Since Danish fall- and winther-weather is bumming me out... and keeping me from commuting to Work biking.... I´ve bought a step-bench and I´m killing it in my livingroom to old-school Jane Fonda step-work-out. I´ts great fun and I´m still loosing... yippi ki yeah! Think "summer"
    and dance dance dance!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The big appeal of gyms for me is that they stay the same temperature inside all year. I prefer the cooler times of the year because I don't get sweaty walking to the gym.

As someone has suggested, try stopping by the gym before you go home for the evening my help you. Maybe dressing in warm layers or getting yourself a nice warm pair of winter boots would help you learn to enjoy winters after living in such a tropical place. I usually look forward to it getting cool enough to wear boots again.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I get up, go to school, come back home from school and get directly in bed under my warm blankets and sometimes I don't even make dinner.

:huh:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. That's why I moved to Florida from colder regions. Here is the step you are missing. You have to leave the house to go to school. You need to work out between school and home. The minute you step into that door, it's over.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    It was 7F outside this morning. I went to a gym. The water in the pool was more like 80F.

I find if I worry about motivation or emotional engagement, I'm making a mistake. I ignore my emotions and just go.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You don't want it enough otherwise you would 'just do it'
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The gym is probably warmer than your house, and if not, moving is warmer than hiding under the blankets.

Like others have said, it is probably best to go from school to the gym then home. You might even be hungry and warm enough to fix dinner.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Just do it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try going in the morning. Additionally, if you're going home and going to bed, you might want to look into signs of depression.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada and we have cold days too where that warm bed is calling. I use working out as a way to warm up and give me energy. I use Fitness Blender's free workouts at home so I don't have to leave for the gym. Hot tea also helps to get those insides warm.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

^^This... once fitness becomes a priority, you'll no longer need to find 'motivation' to exercise and weather will no longer be an excuse not to.
  • Pensworth
    Pensworth Posts: 31 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It was 7F outside this morning. I went to a gym. The water in the pool was more like 80F.

I find if I worry about motivation or emotional engagement, I'm making a mistake. I ignore my emotions and just go.

This sums it up for me. I just recently started going back to my gym again, right at the start of dark evenings and cold weather... So long as I get out the door I will go whether I look forward to it or not. And by the time you get out of the gym all hot and tired, the cold air outside can actually feel pretty good.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Oh honey, I sympathise! This is one of the reasons I bought a stationary exercise bike that now lives in my living room. I'll watch an episode of TV and do 45 minutes + on my bike without even realising it. Then I'll crawl into bed...
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

^^This... once fitness becomes a priority, you'll no longer need to find 'motivation' to exercise and weather will no longer be an excuse not to.

I disagree. She asked for help to find motivation, and I don't think saying 'just do it' is helpful.

I'm committed to exercise and fitness is a priority for me (I go to the gym when I've had 3 hours broken sleep because my 7 month has been up most of the night. I went to the gym until 38 weeks pregnant, even throughout the first trimester nausea) but there are some days when I need some extra motivation.

I think of my nice clothes, and how good I'll feel after the workout.

Also, if the op is too cold to cook dinner some days, she's probably not eating enough, which isn't going to help energy levels, and then she'll be too tired for the gym. I find exercise gives me more energy.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I don't let myself relax for the evening until I've done my workout. The sooner I get my workout done, the sooner I can curl up under a blanket and watch tv or read a book. FYI, I work out from home.

You actually have it easier. Bring your gym bag with you and don't go home until you've gone to the gym. Seriously.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of at home, body weight workouts you can do if you find yourself cold and already home. Last night for example, I had a long drive home and clearly was not in mode to change and go to the gym. I also had a pile of laundry to fold, and clothes & food for my coming workday to get sorted, etc.

I did the following:

15 prisoner get ups
    rest (folded some laundry)*
    12 4 count body-builders (similar to burpees)
    rest (put away folded laundry)
    Repeated this 4 times for a total of 8 heartrate raising, bodyweight intervals. I felt much better and got my laundry done!
    *until heart rate went down.

Saturday was spent baking Christmas cookies with my Mom as is our tradition. Again, knowing the gym was not an option, challenged myself to 100 pushups for the day. I did four sets of 25.

Trust me, these will warm you up and you will feel much better about yourself knowing you did something. Try it. :wink: