Carbs Vs. Protein??

Options
linray51
linray51 Posts: 11 Member
I am just beginning and back OP and adhering to MyFitnessPal's 1200 calorie a day plan. I am delighted and surprised to find out that the cravings are gone, thank heavens! My questing and concern is the following: the carb intake seems high, can I still lose weight with the suggested carbs and proteins or should I change it? So far, I feel great with the carbs being higher than the protein but want to make sure I will lose at the same time. I am also exercising and just began preparing for 5 k's. At 63 I feel blessed to be on the road to trying to be the best I can be.

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yes - it's just about calories

you'll do fine on the pre-set values and will lose weight

you need carbs to fuel your workouts - and remember to eat back your exercise calories (at least 50 - 75% of the calories you'll get by logging it on the MFP database

although I would question why you're only eating 1200 calories a day basic, seems far too low
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    If you have a reason to adjust them you can certainly play around with the percentages until you feel they reflect your requirements.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal doesn't have a 1200 calorie a day plan - it's a calculator that responds to the data you enter. Unless you are tiny I guess you went for the fastest weight loss rate?
    Unless you have a lot to lose (doesn't look like it from your picture) that may well not be appropriate.

A "high carb intake" (whatever you mean by that) won't stop you losing weight if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    calorie deficit = weight loss ..

carbs have noting to do with it...
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    learn about TDEE and BMR
    total daily energy expenditure and base metabolic rate.

• MotelHoney
    MotelHoney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Calories AREN'T everything in weight loss... I'm doing high carb as well and my cravings and binge eating habits have decreased almost dramatically. I'd say stick to it.
  • linray51
    linray51 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support and replies. It has been a week and I feel so much better and feel the absence of sugar in my diet has helped quite a bit. Here's a biggie--I have stopped all alcohol which was igniting a huge amount of cravings. This would occur when I would only have a half glass to a glass, so with this elimination I feel more confident in being in control. Wow, what a difference!
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    MotelHoney wrote: »
    Calories AREN'T everything in weight loss... I'm doing high carb as well and my cravings and binge eating habits have decreased almost dramatically. I'd say stick to it.

For weight loss, calories are the ONLY thing. If you are referring to trigger foods and cravings as a reason for weight stall or gain, this is due solely to increased caloric intake over caloric burn. No one denies that there are individuals that struggle with self control. However, weight loss is simple CICO.

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

For weight loss, yes they are. Trigger foods and cravings are a whole different animal.
  • MotelHoney
    MotelHoney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

For weight loss, yes they are. Trigger foods and cravings are a whole different animal.

Oh okay, I get ya. I just heard it had to do with if and how your body digests these calories

• jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

Oh okay, I get ya. I just heard it had to do with if and how your body digests these calories

No worries. Honest mistake. :)
    I used to think that too, but science proves otherwise.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    For weight loss it is definitely all about the calories - for health its about the macro nutrient split (and food choice).

If you are just beginning a back op (which is what I think you have put) your body will be requiring more protein than normal so try and aim for about 1g per lb of lean mass (even though you will likely not be exercising). If I have read that wrong then as long as you are getting between 0.7g - 1g per lb of lean mass (depending on activity level - the more active the nearer the 1g you should try to aim). If you have healthy kidneys don't worry about going over.

Outside of that split your Fats and Carbs to suit what you enjoy eating. Just try and eat a balanced diet that includes all or most of your micro nutrients.

There is no definitive correct split to have, do what works for you - the only thing that you must do is get enough protein, otherwise your body will strip what it needs from your lean mass!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Being 63 as well I find cutting the sugar has been a big help to reduce joint pain and my carb cravings. I am with tennisdude2004 where he states no definitive correct split to have, do what works for you.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the bottom - if you are doing any type of exercise program you will want to up your calories. Also you may want to try protein at 40-50% (with 50 being your goal), Carbs at 30-40% (with 30 being your goal) and Fat at 20% or less. Happy to help support. Feel free to add me. ankdworak
  • PieSaver
    Options
    Absolutely! If you feel great with your current ratio of carbs/protein/fat then stick with it and see where it goes. he quality of those carbs is more important than any magic ratio.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I personally find MFP's default macros a bit lacking in protein...but really, your macro ratios have far more to do with performance and overall body composition than they do with weight.

Carbs aren't the devil...they don't hinder fat loss. People rave about low carb largely because they see big losses early on...most of which is water because a higher carbohydrate intake is going to result in more fluid retention to metabolize those carbs...but that has nothing to do with fat loss or gain.

I would also add that many people low carb as it is a pretty easy way to decrease caloric intake without having to track calories...and reducing caloric intake is what matters most in losing weight.