How to get different serving types from the recipe importer?

Options
cgibsong002
cgibsong002 Posts: 2
edited December 2014 in Getting Started
So I'm new to the app but have it mostly set up and figured out. Last night I made a recipe with about 20 ingredients so was very relieved to have it import the entire recipe in correctly. Only issue is it imports it in saying it's a total of 6 servings. Well, that's entirely meaningless to me unless I divide everything into 6 servings, which I don't want to do. By my estimate I'll have 15-20 servings out of this.

I'm wondering if I'm missing a way to tell it how much a serving is, for example, 1 serving is 4 oz. Since I weigh all my food, I want to go by weight, not by splitting into portions. I know I can go through the recipe one by one and get the weights on everything but that kind of defeats the purpose. Am I missing something, or is this a missing feature?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh the whole thing when it's done, subtract the weight of the pot, and let one gram = 1 serving. You can do that with ounces if you prefer that.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Same here. I divide the total weight out and put the weight of each serving in the title so I don't have to remember it. And you can change how many servings it is, even if you imported the recipe. Just edit and change it to a more reasonable serving quantity.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I put in the entire weight, then when I weigh out a portion, I divide my portion by the total to get the percentage.

For example: Deirdre's Tikka Masala - 1 serving 28 ounces

Today I have 7 ounces -- 7/28 = .25 serving.

Last night I had 4 ounces -- 4/28 = .15 serving.

Good luck!
  • cgibsong002
    Options
    Thanks everyone. That is what I ended up doing. I don't think it was all that accurate though. I cooked everything in a heavy cast iron dutch oven, so I had to weigh it on my regular floor scale, which isn't nearly as accurate as my food scale.

I ended up estimating the contents to be 6 lbs (after subtracting the pot's weight), though in the recipe I had 3 lbs beef, 2.5 lb onion, 1 lb mushrooms, .5 lb bacon, 1 lb carrots, plus much more in liquids and seasonings including a whole bottle of wine (well over 9 lbs). Anyone think it's possible it lost over 3 lbs water through cooking, or does it sound like the final estimate is way off? That's my issue I have with this method is without a very accurate scale that can do up to 20+ pounds, I've got a serving size of about 6 oz and a margin of error of probably a pound or more.

Maybe I'll just need to buy a bigger food scale if I'm going to be using this method often.

Thanks everyone
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    snip...I cooked everything in a heavy cast iron dutch oven, so I had to weigh it on my regular floor scale, which isn't nearly as accurate as my food scale. snip...Maybe I'll just need to buy a bigger food scale if I'm going to be using this method often.

I have a 11lb/5kg max kitchen scale which works for me with just a little extra time and a calculator. I have shared previously on the Message Boards my method on how I measure a large one-pot meal.

Choose a medium size pot for weighing/serving/keeping the meal warm. The medium pot is a different one than the large (cooking) pot in which you cook the meal. Record the tare weight of the medium (serving) pot using a kitchen scale. Tip: Keep a list of the tare weights of pots, pans, bowls, cooking utensils, and measuring cups/spoons on your refrigerator or in a kitchen drawer.

Decide a standard serving size, such as 1 oz or 1 gram, or alternately 1 cup / 8 oz. / 230g, and use a ladle or measuring cup as a scoop. Tip: Although 8 oz. = 226.796g, it is easier to round up to 230g so that you can halve, double, or triple that in your head.

When the meal in the large pot is ready, place the medium pot on the scale, tare the scale, then scoop X number of cups/servings into the medium pot. Record the net weight and place on the stove to keep warm. Alternately, if you already have recorded the tare weight of the medium pot, scoop the food into the medium pot, tare the scale, weigh the medium pot plus contents, then subtract the medium pot tare weight from the total weight.

Instruct family to serve only from the medium pot. Tip: If the medium pot is empty and someone wants more, just put the medium pot on the scale, tare the scale, scoop out additional servings into the medium pot, and record that net weight.

If there are any leftovers, repeat the taring, scooping, weighing, and recording until it is finished.

At the end of the meal, add up all of the separate net weights and use the total weight for the meal to record in the title of the recipe in the Recipe Importer or Old Recipe Calculator.