How often do you weigh yourselves

2»

Replies

• lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    This is just an honest answer...

If I wake up in the middle of the night to pee - I will weigh myself.
    In the morning after I use the restroom - I weigh myself.
    I weigh myself when I get home from work.
    I weigh myself before bed.

I just like to see the fluctuation. The number on the scale doesn't irritate me anymore. The funny thing is, I know my body so much now that I know what i'm going to weigh in the morning based on the night time reading. :laugh:

P.S. I will sometimes randomly weigh myself through out the day if I happen to be anywhere near the scale.

Hope that helps. :bigsmile:

ETA: I only record the weight once a week either on Saturday or Sunday.
  • i weigh every two or three days. my problem is if the numbers are going down, and I am craving chocolate; that is an excuse to eat, because I can treat myself I am doing well. If I weigh more, then I drink more water and count the calories more. I also measure every couple of weeks, especially if the scale stops moving, because when the muscle builds up you wont see it on the scale, but you will see it in measurements.
  • XoXoCountryGalXoXo
    XoXoCountryGalXoXo Posts: 41 Member
    Everyday before my jog and before I eat! Helps keep me in line! :)
  • ThumperWabbt
    ThumperWabbt Posts: 82 Member
    I weigh every day, because I have to...but I suspect I would even if it wasn't a necessity. I know well enough that weight fluctuates to not get discouraged if I get on the scale and am a pound heavier than the day before--there's no possible way I could have eaten 3500 extra calories. I also know to not get excited if I'm suddenly down a pound or two--there's no way I burned off an extra 3500-7000 calories in one day.

Once a week, I record an "official" weight, but the daily weigh-ins help me track trends.

I really think when to weigh is a YMMV thing...but if you're weighing more than once a day, you might want to ponder why...
  • kdsmith
    kdsmith Posts: 250
    I weigh myself everyday...
    My logic is that if the number goes down, Im motivated to keep it going down.
    and if it goes up, Ill know its because of either not following my diet of fluctuation.
    Either way it makes me more motivated to follow my diet.
    and if i only weigh once a week, ill have that day of "oh, my weigh in day is in a few days, I can eat a little more if i want." which is bad

I think that is my problem - I always weigh in when I feel thinner and then when the number is down I feel like I can treat myself which results to not losing weight the next week. Perhaps I do need to weigh in daily just to keep in check although I do realize that my weight will fluctuate.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    When I first started MFP I didn't own a scale and it felt so good not to worry about scales at all and just see how nicely my clothing started to fit after the weight started coming off. After about 5 months I really needed to start benchmarking as I started questions my exercise and eating routine as I became closer to my goal weight.

I finally bought a scale and probably weigh myself once or twice a week. I find I become obsessed if I weigh more than that, and I get upset about fluctuations that happen throughout the week. I try to only weigh when I "feel" thinner in the morning, and if the scale says anything higher than my last I do not record a new weight until I see a loss.

I almost wish I didn't buy the scale, because the way you look in clothing and the way you feel is what matters--but realize having the numbers readily available can give you more information to improve (as long as you don't let the scale depress or rule your life).
  • OpalFruitJam
    OpalFruitJam Posts: 114 Member
    I tend to weight every day or every other day in the morning. I like to see if I am on a downward trend throughout the week, and if I am not, I can then adjust my workouts and food accordingly.
    I then take an official weight on the weekend usually.
    However, I have hit plateau for the past few weeks- so haven't bothered to log the weight as it is going up and down between 129 and 132 and has been for weeks now... ugh...
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    During my weight loss it was once a week. Now it's gone I weigh myself every day.

I find it hard to maintain a set weight after I've spent so long losing weight and I'm trying to be careful not to lose any more and equally not to gain any more. With exercises increasing it is easier to weight every day so I can readjust as necessary.
This discussion has been closed.