First Powerlifting Meet! (AND losing 12 pounds with 0 cardio!)

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great work!
  • nataliebordeauxx
    nataliebordeauxx Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Wow... you are a BEAST! Congratulations, girl! I read the thread & checked your profile, didn't see it... how tall are you?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Nice. I competed with RPS last year, I've got another one coming up end of March.

Keep up the good work!
  • Boobietrap1337
    Boobietrap1337 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Do you do the 5x5 training? I was thinking of starting that.

PS you should try roller derby :)
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I think you can bench press way more if you work on your form. Your hands are out very wide. Look into technique for powerlifters and bench press. You will be much more efficient. Very impressive lifts at your body weight. You have a talent.

xiamjackie wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

So I'll get right into it. I decided in July to sign up for my first powerlifting meet. I had just really gotten into powerlifting and wanted to sign up so that I had a goal in mind and couldn't back out of it.

I was literally so nervous this weekend leading up to the meet. First of all, I cut 12 pounds over a 3 month period to get into my weight class (went from 133 to 121). They say never to cut for your first meet, but I was already cutting anyway to lose weight so I figured I'd make the best of it and cut to make a weight class. I was so nervous about making weight though, that it's all I thought about for like 4 days leading up to weigh ins! I weighed in on Friday morning and the meet wasn't until Saturday, so after I made weight (woo hoo!) I was able to go stuff myself with pancakes and pasta the rest of the day.

On Saturday, I was so stinking nervous I was shaking. I woke up at 4 in the morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. I was just ready! It was a long day but yet everything went so fast at the same time.

Well, without going into it too deep and making this super long, I got first place in my class! (not hard to do, as there were only a few girls in my class) but I also achieved my goal of getting a 605 lb total (was aiming for 600!) I got a 220lb squat (PR), 95lb bench, and 290lb dead lift (PR) at 121 pounds body weight. I also went 8/9 on my lifts, which was another huge achievement for me.

I was lucky that the federation I competed in (Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate) was very friendly and welcoming to new competitors. Everyone was super nice and helpful in warming up, getting ready, and helping select 2nd and 3rd attempts. There was a huge crowd and everyone got excited and yelled when someone was really struggling on an attempt, they really wanted them to succeed! I was also really lucky that a friend I met on MFP was there and helped me through everything! I have to say, going with a seasoned competitor is a great idea since they know everything that will go on.

Here are some videos of my lifts from Saturday (didn't happen without proof!):

220 lb squat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkrgBI338A&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww

95 lb bench (not impressive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qgO4cY3HY&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww&index=2

290 lb dead lift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIT2apDaFk&index=3&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww

Also wanted to share some pictures:

Here with my first place trophy :)

2cwwi0l.jpg

Here is how powerlifting has completely destroyed my body and made me bulky. Also, just an FYI for women out there who are so concerned about doing hours of cardio and no weights- For the last 3 or so months I did 1 day of cardio a week (I'm a Zumba instructor so I had to do my Zumba class) and THAT WAS IT. Plus 4-5 days of heavy lifting per week.

33wl1jp.jpg

j60aia.jpg

This just makes me even more motivated for my next meet! I think I'm hooked now.
    I am going to make a post eventually about tips for first time competitors. I'm absolutely no expert, but I know that reading blogs/ forums/ articles etc. really helped me before I went to my first meet. If anyone is into powerlifting and nervous for a first meet, feel free to friend me!

TL;DR: If you are thinking of competing in a powerlifting competition, DO IT.

If you are worried that doing 0 cardio and only lifting heavy will make you bulky and manly and whatever, STOP WORRYING ABOUT THAT.

:)

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Nightfly01 wrote: »
    I think you can bench press way more if you work on your form. Your hands are out very wide. Look into technique for powerlifters and bench press. You will be much more efficient. Very impressive lifts at your body weight. You have a talent.

xiamjackie wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

So I'll get right into it. I decided in July to sign up for my first powerlifting meet. I had just really gotten into powerlifting and wanted to sign up so that I had a goal in mind and couldn't back out of it.

I was literally so nervous this weekend leading up to the meet. First of all, I cut 12 pounds over a 3 month period to get into my weight class (went from 133 to 121). They say never to cut for your first meet, but I was already cutting anyway to lose weight so I figured I'd make the best of it and cut to make a weight class. I was so nervous about making weight though, that it's all I thought about for like 4 days leading up to weigh ins! I weighed in on Friday morning and the meet wasn't until Saturday, so after I made weight (woo hoo!) I was able to go stuff myself with pancakes and pasta the rest of the day.

On Saturday, I was so stinking nervous I was shaking. I woke up at 4 in the morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. I was just ready! It was a long day but yet everything went so fast at the same time.

Well, without going into it too deep and making this super long, I got first place in my class! (not hard to do, as there were only a few girls in my class) but I also achieved my goal of getting a 605 lb total (was aiming for 600!) I got a 220lb squat (PR), 95lb bench, and 290lb dead lift (PR) at 121 pounds body weight. I also went 8/9 on my lifts, which was another huge achievement for me.

I was lucky that the federation I competed in (Revolution Powerlifting Syndicate) was very friendly and welcoming to new competitors. Everyone was super nice and helpful in warming up, getting ready, and helping select 2nd and 3rd attempts. There was a huge crowd and everyone got excited and yelled when someone was really struggling on an attempt, they really wanted them to succeed! I was also really lucky that a friend I met on MFP was there and helped me through everything! I have to say, going with a seasoned competitor is a great idea since they know everything that will go on.

Here are some videos of my lifts from Saturday (didn't happen without proof!):

220 lb squat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQkrgBI338A&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww

95 lb bench (not impressive):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-qgO4cY3HY&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww&index=2

290 lb dead lift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKIT2apDaFk&index=3&list=UUB-S6ReH2BX-7kIkp6SbIww

Also wanted to share some pictures:

Here with my first place trophy :)

2cwwi0l.jpg

Here is how powerlifting has completely destroyed my body and made me bulky. Also, just an FYI for women out there who are so concerned about doing hours of cardio and no weights- For the last 3 or so months I did 1 day of cardio a week (I'm a Zumba instructor so I had to do my Zumba class) and THAT WAS IT. Plus 4-5 days of heavy lifting per week.

33wl1jp.jpg

j60aia.jpg

This just makes me even more motivated for my next meet! I think I'm hooked now.
    I am going to make a post eventually about tips for first time competitors. I'm absolutely no expert, but I know that reading blogs/ forums/ articles etc. really helped me before I went to my first meet. If anyone is into powerlifting and nervous for a first meet, feel free to friend me!

TL;DR: If you are thinking of competing in a powerlifting competition, DO IT.

If you are worried that doing 0 cardio and only lifting heavy will make you bulky and manly and whatever, STOP WORRYING ABOUT THAT.

:)

Wide(r) grip is fairly standard for powerlifting. Less ROM to have to deal with. Really, whatever is comfortable is best, but wider is typical. Also, look at the chalk on the bar. That's where just about everyone had gripped the bar - it's normal.
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wow you look so amazing!!!! Congrats!!!! :-) Lifting really is so good!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wow... you are a BEAST! Congratulations, girl! I read the thread & checked your profile, didn't see it... how tall are you?

I'm only 5'0. SHORTY!!!! :)

• xiamjackie
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Nightfly01 wrote: »

Wide(r) grip is fairly standard for powerlifting. Less ROM to have to deal with. Really, whatever is comfortable is best, but wider is typical. Also, look at the chalk on the bar. That's where just about everyone had gripped the bar - it's normal.

As I learned the lifts in Powerlifting and really got into benching, I learned that a wide grip bench is typical for powerlifters as TR0berts stated, because it reduced range of motion. Bench is by far my weakest lift and I have been working on accessories and finding the right hand placement for me to capitalize on my strength. Still a work in progress!

• xiamjackie
    Options
    Do you do the 5x5 training? I was thinking of starting that.

PS you should try roller derby :)

I actually did not do 5x5. I kind of got into my own programming by combining knowledge from a couple different programs. I did a TON of research in order to come up with (what I thought) was the best programming for me for the goals I was after and that's how I dictated my training.

There were some things I took from 5x5, some things I took from different bodybuilding.com articles, some accessory movements I chose by reading articles and stalking my favorite powerlifters on IG lol.

And I think I would die at rollerderby! That's insane stuff! Huge kudos to you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!