How do YOU workout at the gym? (Scheduling)

Options
I always see people refer to their "leg day", "cardio day", "back day", etc. and was just curious. How do you schedule your workouts?
The only thing I can seem to agree on, in my head, is I want to do 30 mins of cardio while there.

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    I do a 4 day push/pull/legs. 4th day being the same lift that I started with that week. I cardio from the car to weights and then back to car.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I follow a program (Wendler's 5/3/1). I do an OHP and upper accessories day, a DL and lower accessories day, a rest day, a bench and upper accessories day, a squat and lower accessories day, and two more rest days. Rinse, repeat.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goals are.

I'm training for a half marathon so my focus is on my running. As such, I do two full body workouts a week.

If you're a beginner, there isn't a need for a body part split.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Full body lifting on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. C25K cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    In for replies, always wondered this myself
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Most people probably try to use a program. For example I am on Stronglift's 5x5 so I am there 3 days a week. My cardio consists of the golf range/ golf course a couple times a week. Remember weight is lost in the kitchen more than anything else.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My gyms at work and only get a half hour lunch that I take closer to end of day, but MWF- I do 2 minutes jump rope, arms(biceps and triceps) and core(planks, russian twists, supermans, legs lift etc). TTh- 2 minutes jump rope and legs, calf raises, extensions, squats if have time left will throw in a little core
  • angiekain
    angiekain Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like to find programs/schedules on bodybuilding.com, the one I've been doing for the last couple weeks is:
    Monday: Shoulders (4 exercises)/Arms (2 bi exercises & 2 tri exercises) & Abs
    Tuesday: Legs (squats, calf raises, lunges, good mornings...)
    Wednesday: Cardio/Core
    Thursday: Back (6 exercises)
    Friday: Chest (5 exercises) & Abs
    Sat: HIIT

Each weight day I also do about 15-20 min of a cardio warm-up
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I cardio from the car to weights and then back to car.

This made me laugh out loud.
  • Sevendust912
    Sevendust912 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd forget the cardio, and do weights.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I follow the Ice Cream Fitness program.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm using a full-body dumbbell (yeah, I know, but I just started with weights that aren't the machines a month ago) program on the app Jefit three times a week, then two days that are strictly 60-90 minutes cardio (on my two off-days from work)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'm still working out my new schedule since some things got turned around. But....here is what it seems to be shaping up to be:

Monday - 60min boot camp style class + 30min cardio
    Tuesday - rest
    Wednesday - 60min boot camp style class + 30min cardio
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - random free weights + 60min cardio
    Saturday - 60min personal training session + 60min boot camp style class + 30min cardio
    Sunday - 45-60min cardio and/or 60min yoga

I am training for OCR's (obstacle course races) so I do a lot of non-traditional things like flipping tires, carrying buckets of rocks, etc. Our boot camp style classes at my gym are run by a fellow Spartan Racer and personal trainer, so she sets up stations that help us during races. Lots of cardio based lifting and HIIT style stuff. I absolutely love it.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Also my gym is in my basement so It's easier to fit it in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't have the time for splits (i.e. leg day, chest day, etc)...I do a full body lifting routine 3x per week that takes me about 60 minutes. I started with Starting Strength and moved on to Wendler's 5/3/1 and then New Rules of Lifting Supercharged. Currently I'm working with a coach on my Oly-lifts so he programs my routine for me...but it's still 3x per week for about an hour.

I go after work on Tuesday and Thursday nights and have my PT session on Saturday mornings. I don't do cardio at the gym...I ride on Mon/Wed/Friday at lunch and can get in about 15 miles each. I usually use my bike to commute to the gym on Saturday as well which gives me another 16 or so miles round trip...total of about 60 miles per week. I also run 3 miles on Tues and Thurs during my lunch break. Sunday is rest.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Mine is fluid because if I have a workout that makes me very soar, I like to take a rest day the next day regardless of what I was supposed to do. In theory I plan to adhere to Day 1 lift full body, Day 2 lift full body (reason it's back to back is because the program is scheduled that way so it's hitting different areas...i.e. I'm not bench pressing 2 days in a row), Day 3 cardio, Day 4 lift full body, Day 5 lift full body, Day 6 cardio, Day 7 rest.

But I really just throw in rest wherever it feels best.
  • ashdred
    ashdred Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd forget the cardio, and do weights.

Yeah. I lift. But, I go in thinking...I'm just going to work the legs and end up doing a full body because I actually enjoy it. I'm sure that doesn't cause me any harm either.
  • ashdred
    Options
    I do a 4 day push/pull/legs. 4th day being the same lift that I started with that week. I cardio from the car to weights and then back to car.

Lol!!!! I liked cardio better when it was warm/hot and outside. This hampster thing is killing me, but it's freezing outside.
  • ashdred
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

2nd time I've heard about this today. I'll be getting my Google on.