Cutting and I need help

Options
FitnessLover001
FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Is 15 pounds in 15 weeks a good idea? Starting my cut early and here's my plan:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 30 min of HIIT cardio and 30 min of steady state cardio.
Tuesday, Thursday: 45 min of stair master (light weight sessions- doing a circuit training with this as well: 10min on stair master, weights, 10min on stair master, weight, etc, 5 min cool down).

I work out 6 days a week, my TDEE is 2110, but eating at 1500. And obviously, counting all my foods and macros. I'm 5'2", 136pounds, 22.8% body fat.

Is this a good plan? Or do I need to edit some things?? I don't want to lose a lot of muscle, but I want to get toned and lose the flab that's hiding my muscles from being revealed unflexed

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So... you plan on doing almost no weight lifting with the intent of maintaining muscle mass?

Just do a proper weight lifting schedule 3-4x a week and eat at least your lean body mass in protein every day, lift heavy, and eat at a reasonable 20% or less calorie deficit.

Oh. And if you're able to a) do 30 mins of HIIT 3x a week, and b) follow HIIT up with another 30 mins of SS cardio, you're doing HIIT wrong.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I thought you meant something else.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one who immediately thought of that.
  • fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Call the Hotline
  • bananabeannn
    bananabeannn Posts: 110 Member
    Options

^^ ditto!
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    ...if you're able to a) do 30 mins of HIIT 3x a week, and b) follow HIIT up with another 30 mins of SS cardio, you're doing HIIT wrong.

Agreed. How are you doing your intervals? They should be short intervals, like 30 seconds of jogging followed by 30 seconds of sprinting for 10-15 reps, depending on your physical abilities. (When I started HIIT, I could only do 5 reps!) And you should totally exhaust yourself during HIIT, give it your ALL, so I really don't see being able to do any steady state cardio afterwards.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    That's more than a 25% deficit which is not healthy or muscle maintaining in any way - particularly as you sound like you are close to or at a healthy weight. I would never do more than a 15% cut to keep the muscle I have and I'd definitely be lifting heavy weights.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    You're going to lose muscle. Quite a lot of it.

Lift heavy and ease back on the cardio.

Yep
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    15 lbs in 15 weeks is a great plan but the program you've come up with is actually way more aggressive than you'd need for that.

Also, good luck with doing HIIT three times a week (it hurts too much for that lol). I'd recommend doing steady state Monday and Wednesday then the HIIT on it's own on Friday. That's much more doable.
    Then I'd replace the Tues/Thurs stair master with a full body beginner weight lifting routine.

Do that on a 1,700 to 1,800 calorie diet instead of 1,500 and I think you'll be in a much better position to reach your goals. You'll also be healthier and less likely to burn out.