Question about effects of beer on diet

Options

Replies

• no3lly
    Options
    oddrums: I generally weight myself once a week. I think, when I start up on alcohol after reaching my goal, I will give that a shout. It's more data, I like data!
  • no3lly
    no3lly Posts: 9
    edited December 2014
    Options
    obsuremusicreference: aye, Stella's known as 'wife beater' because of its high alcoholic percentage which allegedly causes men to beat their wives. I'm not a fan, but I do like the smell of it when a bottle is opened, don't touch it otherwise. Prefer Kronenbourg if given the choice for European, prefer Asahi if given any world larger.

Slow down? I could do, I doubt I would out of choice when around mates. I don't drink quickly by myself, if I do drink by myself. If I drink, I understand the repercussions, including inability to lose weight, sadly, that seems to be a given if I agree to go out. At least I'll save some money by abstaining for a while.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Stella Artois...Kronenbourg...bleh... You know why the French are so good at making wine? Because their beer is *kitten*! hehe... (I'm half French so I can say this with confidence.) :p How about a nice Bordeaux instead?
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    no3lly wrote: »
    Fearlessleader1, golfbrew_matt and segacs,

Perhaps moderation is the way forward! It is far nicer to wake up fresh and enjoy the day than to squirm in bed drinking pint after pint of water in the hope of reviving yourself enough to function through the day.

I've tried moderation, it didn't work.... :smiley:
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Stella Artois...Kronenbourg...bleh... You know why the French are so good at making wine? Because their beer is *kitten*! hehe... (I'm half French so I can say this with confidence.) :p How about a nice Bordeaux instead?

Stella Artois is Belgian, actually, not French. Though both Stella and Kronenbourg are now owned and produced by Anheuser-Busch and the Carlsberg Group, respectively. So basically they're indistinguishable from most watered-down commercially-produced lagers.

Belgium, FWIW, has *excellent* beer, as long as you stay away from Stella and its ilk.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    My weight goes all over the place when I have alcohol, and it can take up to a week for it to settle down.

Side-stepping the US v UK v Europe beer thing.. my tolerance for alcohol has essentially evaporated, which is sad in a way, but it does mean I simply cannot "keep up" with friends/colleagues except if I want a teenager-on-hard-cider style hangover, so I accepted that I'm just not that person any more.

When you're ready to make that choice, you'll wander why you even spent more than 5 seconds thinking about it. When I do have a drink now, I generally order the most expensive thing I can find, because I want to enjoy that drink dammit.

Alcohol does weird stuff to body weight. Nuff said.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Stella Artois is Belgian, actually, not French. Though both Stella and Kronenbourg are now owned and produced by Anheuser-Busch and the Carlsberg Group, respectively. So basically they're indistinguishable from most watered-down commercially-produced lagers.

Belgium, FWIW, has *excellent* beer, as long as you stay away from Stella and its ilk.

I know, but then my joke wouldn't have been so funny! I could be really annoying and say "La France...la Belgique... c'est la même chose!" Haha... Knowing the love between those two... :)
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Your body will not burn body fat while processing alcohol in the liver. It can't do 2 things at once.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    QHjr wrote: »
    Beer = weight loss
    Once you pass out, you stop eating
    3d%20view%20homer%20simpson%20moe%20duff%20beer%201280x1025%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_61.jpg

Love this!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I know this is a super un-fun suggestion, but maybe cut out beer until you've reached your goal weight. This has been a particular struggle for me. I got into the habit of coming home after work and drinking between 3-4 Coors every night and more than that on the weekends. I cut out drinking completely on the weekdays and on the weekends I'll limit myself to 6 maximum. Beer drinking has been my weightloss down fall, but I'm hoping after I hit my goal weight I can at least have 1-2 beers and not gain.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    My weight goes all over place! I drank over the thanksgiving holidays and added up the caloric intake and it was weight gain for me. But it quickly came back off once I was in the deficit. And the water gain from dehydration is killer! I say do the month analysis and see if these calories did in fact gain actual pounds or it evens out! I was lucky I found out in about 4 days what I did. :)
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Excessive alcohol consumption destroys your bodies ability to recover properly if you're working out a lot. It also causes dehydration so if you are taking creatine you double-**** your liver and kidneys.

Drink at your own risk, but remember to stay very hydrated if you do so.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Looks yummy and delicious. I would keep carbs around 150 to 175 a day, add in extra protein as well. But there are days when this is pretty even.

Great job! I wish I could like string beans! :D
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    Wrong post above... what the hell happened to the other page. :o:o:'(:'(:#:#
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I know this is a super un-fun suggestion, but maybe cut out beer until you've reached your goal weight. This has been a particular struggle for me. I got into the habit of coming home after work and drinking between 3-4 Coors every night and more than that on the weekends. I cut out drinking completely on the weekdays and on the weekends I'll limit myself to 6 maximum. Beer drinking has been my weightloss down fall, but I'm hoping after I hit my goal weight I can at least have 1-2 beers and not gain.

It's a fair suggestion. My strategy has been similar to yours. I've cut back from 2-3 per night on week nights to 1-2 per week on week nights and a similar 6 max on weekends. The main thing I've changed is keeping track of all calories, even when drinking. Seems to be working so far.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I know, but then my joke wouldn't have been so funny! I could be really annoying and say "La France...la Belgique... c'est la même chose!" Haha... Knowing the love between those two... :)

Lord no. :D Have lived a few years in France and have a French boyfriend, so I would shave had to admonish you for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, France and beer is one of those things… I am currently living in Bavaria and every time I go back to France I feel screwed over the prices. Also the fact that their "servings" come on 0.25l ( 8,5 oz).

That said, you can go find quite a few good beers if you go to Brittany. Can't really call them French beers though without sparking a massive debate. :smiley:
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    While you're drinking it, the water that you have will be used up to eliminate it which dehydrates your body.

According to a notable paper in the 80s, there's no evidence that beer itself dehydrates you a noticeable extent (which is at odds with that we're told and tell each other as young adults when we first begin drinking):

- British Medical Journal (Clin Res Ed), December 1982, Acute biochemical responses to moderate beer drinking, Gill GV).
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I know this is a super un-fun suggestion, but maybe cut out beer until you've reached your goal weight.

I don't know about the OP, but I can't see that ever happening!!

I love beer.
    To be fair, I've pretty much cut out mid-week drinking, which is tough with my colleagues and friends! And some evenings I go out at weekends drinking a white wine spritzer (with soda water, not lemonade) instead of a pint of ale.

But to cut it out completely would make me sad, and likely result in a binge, rather than regular moderation.

I know it's not ideal, but I'm trying to be realistic!
  • wmpottsjr
    wmpottsjr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You can quickly drink liquids, but it takes a few days to urinate it all. 4.5 liters is a lot to drink. A normal person will urinate between one and two liters a day. I can imagine that maybe 3 liters will be eliminated on binge night but that still leaves 1.5 liters excess fluid. Urine weighs 1.003 gram/ml so 1,500 grams or 3.3 lbs is retained.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    beer is one of those things that slows down my weight loss. Beer and cider and ice cream. Lots of people can have these things and not have a difference, but each of us have a coupke things, Im sure, that do this to us - even if we haven't found them yet.

I wish my problem food was octopus.

anyway, yeah, I have to save beer drankin for occasions now. But a glass or two of wine is fine for me. Go fig.