Meeting minimum calorie goal...

Options
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm hungry, but not hungry enough to eat something I don't really want. I work out at least two hours a day so I know I NEED to eat at LEAST the minimum, but I'm really struggling to get them all in.

I understand that this may not be a big problem for most of us, and honestly I'm not accustomed to having this problem either. Usually it's the other way around, but I don't know how to fix this other than to just shove food in my face just for the sake of getting in the calories and nutrients.

Any ideas?

Replies

• abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I've been having a similar issue. I am in the middle of finals week, and the high levels of stress is causing me to not be hungry what-so-ever. It has become incredibly difficult for me to eat the 1200kcal minimum when I want to shove my face into a biology textbook, so I've been "banking" the calories that I do not eat to reach the 1200 minimum for me to consume when my appetite picks back up (most likely the week after finals or Christmas week). If everything works out as planned, though there will be some days where I am barely eating 1000 calories and days where I am eating at maintenance or higher, I hope to average around 1380 net for the month, which is my daily kcal goal to lose a pound per week.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I do have appetite issues, so I work really hard to get calorie dense food. I've been at this for 7 months now - *meeting* your goals has to be a big priority. You can drink your calories, too if you feel too full.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I know that "banking" the calories for later doesn't work for me. It's too tempting (& too easy) to use those on the stuff I'm doing my best to avoid right now.

What kind of calorie dense foods do you go for?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Including some more calorie dense foods would be an easy way to boost your calories by a few hundred calories. This is a generic list and doesn't account for your personal definition of healthy, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat diary
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Go buy some granola. It has high calories.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you don't have dietary restrictions, it's not too hard. Peanut butter is an easy way to get calories.

If you do have dietary restrictions, it's a lot harder. Juice is awesome - an easy way to swallow them, not too filling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat more volume...just eat more calorie dense foods. Plan you diet better.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    You don't have to eat more volume...just eat more calorie dense foods. Plan you diet better.

^I don't know why this got flagged, but it's good advice. Pre-logging your day can help you to see how low your calories are going to be so that you can add more calories to your earlier meals instead of having to eat a ton of calories at the end of the day or after you've added in your exercise.

• Virkati
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was pre-planning and pre-logging the day and that was a DEFINITE help. Every now and then though, I'm just not hungry or I don't want what's available. I think I just needed a moment to whine, and maybe allow myself some cheese to go with it lol.
    Don't know why the cwolfman13 post got flagged...it's perfectly legitimate advice.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I was pre-planning and pre-logging the day and that was a DEFINITE help. Every now and then though, I'm just not hungry or I don't want what's available. I think I just needed a moment to whine, and maybe allow myself some cheese to go with it lol.
    Don't know why the cwolfman13 post got flagged...it's perfectly legitimate advice.

Always pair cheese with your whine if you're having trouble meeting your calorie goals. I do it once a week. It's good protein too. LOL :smiley:
  • Virkati
    Options
    @Pincushion...that was good lol :smiley: