How to measure food

Options
ryry1322
ryry1322 Posts: 29 Member
Example 1 c spaghetti or 3/4 c broccoli. Is it loosely packed into a measuring cup or tightly packed? I want to be as accurate as possible. Thanks in advance guys.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Questions like this are why I switched to a food scale. It's more accurate, I don't have to worry about how tightly my measuring cups are packed, and it means I have fewer dishes to clean at the end of the day.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Lol when I skimmed the forum at first I thought the title said 'How to measure blood' :joy:

Anyway... weigh it and it will b accurate every time
  • zSandman
    zSandman Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Scale srs. There is no other way if you want accuracy.
  • ryry1322
    Options
    Ok
    annette_15 wrote: »
    Lol when I skimmed the forum at first I thought the title said 'How to measure blood' :joy:

Yup lol I want blood I'm a vampire. XD

Anyway 3/4 c would be 6oz?
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Weigh it on a food scale.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Yep, a food scale is going to be a lot more accurate for solids. Get an electronic one with the taring feature. Put a container on it, turn it on, and it will tare so that the container weight isn't counted. (Or if it's already on, put the container on it and then hit the tare button.) Then add your pasta, broccoli, nuts, whatever it is that you want to measure.

I use volume measuring cups only for liquids and for things like rice whose size is uniform and that pack tightly. And even for those solids, the scale will be more accurate.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    ryry1322 wrote: »
    Ok
    annette_15 wrote: »

Yup lol I want blood I'm a vampire. XD

Anyway 3/4 c would be 6oz?

No! You are confusing fluid ounces and ounces. They do not convert, they do not have any relationship to each other. You will have to look at the packaging and food entries to find the proper weights. The pasta, for example, is usually about 2oz. raw.
  • ryry1322
    Options
    Ah OK thank you
  • veganstarchivore
    Options
    Food scale all day every day. :P
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Just get a food scale .. problem solved. Measuring food in cups .. is just dumb. Measure in grams will help too in order to be more precise than oz units.
  • ryry1322
    Options
    Just get a food scale .. problem solved. Measuring food in cups .. is just dumb. Measure in grams will help too in order to be more precise than oz units.
    good point. My nutritionist suggested cups. The more I thought about it the more I was like well how do I get it accurate

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    ryry1322 wrote: »
    good point. My nutritionist suggested cups. The more I thought about it the more I was like well how do I get it accurate

It'll be extremely rare if you get cups to be accurate. Even something like a serving of peanut butter...it says two tablespoons, but it's probably more like 1 1/4-1 1/2 tablespoons for the weight. That's why a scale is incredibly useful.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I asked for one for Xmas)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Purchase a food scale. It is most accurate.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, but try to learn what those numbers look like on a plate. That is, learn what a 100 grams of meat, fish, pasta, rice, veggies etc. look like on a plate so that you have a meaningful way of estimating portion sizes when you don't have a scale available.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    As everyone has said, a food scale is the way to solve this problem!
  • allanakern
    allanakern Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    measure liquids, weigh solids!