Zumba calories VS HRM

Options
2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    That sounds low even if you are in shape. I burn around 300 calories for 55 minutes with my hrm. That's without jumping, but in the zone for most of it. I weigh 126.

Also, don't jump if it hurts - it won't reduce the workout by much and it will not hurt hips, knees and other stuff.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Neither is accurate, but I would tend to believe the HRM because the other is probably based on someone who put in a more intense workout than you did.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    This is why most people only eat back half of the calories burned.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    That sounds low even if you are in shape. I burn around 300 calories for 55 minutes with my hrm. That's without jumping, but in the zone for most of it. I weigh 126.

Also, don't jump if it hurts - it won't reduce the workout by much and it will not hurt hips, knees and other stuff.

Not sure if the jumping party is in reply to my post about hurting hips, but there was no jumping. My knees felt fine, not my hips.

I also won't do yoga because my lower back always hurts afterward, even though I've been told I'm using proper form. :)

• OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Zumba is pretty high energy though. What is your height/current weight?

I can't use a HRM because I have tachycardia, so it'd majorly overestimate anything I do. But for me (5'5 female, about 140lb) if I compare my running cals to be about 600-700 per hour, I don't think estimating 200-300 calories per hour would be that much out of the realms of possibility because I do work up a proper sweat doing it!
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i too use a hrm for zumba - last night i worked really really hard and burned 690 calories for the hour :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Activity trackers that sit on your wrist also track heart rate, but not as accurately as HRMs.