Any special spices or sauces to give chicken, fish, beef alittle boost of flavor

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I like mixing equal parts sour cream and Dijon mustard together. Then throw in dried dill and a dash of garlic powder and cook the chicken in that sauce :) Yum! For 4 chicken breasts, I'd use a 1/4 cup each of sc and Dijon and then 1/4 tsp garlic powder and 1 tbsp. dried dill :)
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    On a nice piece of grilled fish i serve it with 1tbsp of home made tartare sauce which i make from

capers
    gherkin
    good quality whole egg mayonnaise.

Finely dice the capers and gherkin. Adjust the amounts until you get the right balance in the sauce. If you've ever eaten the bought stuff, you should be able to figure it out.
    Of course i always squeeze lemon on my fish first. Fish without lemon isn't conceivable to me. And fresh ground black pepper.
    And rub a little salt and oil onto the fish at the time of grilling.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Tony Chacheres, SteakHouse Onion Seasoning, Smoked Maple Seasoning, Rosemary, Thyme, SeaSalt, salt n pepper.

I also like to make chicken and egg soup OMNOMNOMNOM
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Marinade some chicken in a mix of gulden's brown mustard, onions and lawry's seasoning salt.
  • MaxPower0102
    MaxPower0102 Posts: 2,654 Member
    Options
    I cheat. SauteExpress has blocks I throw into the pan with some water. All the seasoning right in one little refrigerated block. The Garlic&Herb is great with poultry, and I like the Teriyaki with beef. Sodium content probably isn't ideal, but it sure is tasty!!!!!
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I cheat. SauteExpress has blocks I throw into the pan with some water. All the seasoning right in one little refrigerated block. The Garlic&Herb is great with poultry, and I like the Teriyaki with beef. Sodium content probably isn't ideal, but it sure is tasty!!!!!

I bet these are good...
  • ralph124c41
    ralph124c41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Go ethnic. Regional recipes taste different and keep food interesting. We always—almost always—have one Mexican and one Chinese night each week. Throw in Korean, Thai, Italian, etc. and food never has to be boring.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Steph38878 wrote: »

I bet these are good...

You can make your own...
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I am not affiliated with this company in any way - but have you ever heard of the Savory Spice Shop? I have a pantry full of their spice blends. They make some great mixes and it helps me not get into a rut with my cooking. Plus I don't have to keep a bottle for each individual spice so I save space by having mixes. I order online, and often my family join me in the order so we have enough to get free shipping. :)

This ^ if you are bored you should get premixed spices it will make it easier for you. Plus it makes it funner to try random spice mixes.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    BBQ Sauce.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I kinda make my own. I throw everything from black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and rosemary to curry (not the hot one) cardamom, cinnamon (sometimes) and thyme. I have a bunch, so i just switch it around. They're all great though because they bring out the flavor of each protein in different ways, and it's great because there's TONS of flavor without all those calories. Also, I typically add a "pinch" of kosher, sea, or pink Himalayan salt, but only a SMALL pinch. It doesn't make things too salty, and it kicks the flavor up. Lastly, I make marinades out of all those spices by adding a small amount of oil. Either sesame (if I'm making an Asian-themed dish), olive, coconut or grapeseed oil. Depending on how much protein you make and what type, you may need very little. If I'm making salmon, I only put a drop in a zip lock bag with the spices and fish. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes or more (more time is yummier) and VOILA! Pure deliciousness!
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Poultry and pork will also absorb fruit flavors very well. Toss a can of mandarin oranges in the crock pot with chicken and let it cook down, add onions and peppers with a splash of soy sauce and it's got a taste similar to chinese orange chicken.
    Pork and apples are a natural combo, toss a pork roast in the oven or crock pot and top with diced apples and a bit of cinnamon.
    Turkey and cranberries, make up some stuffing with cranberries and apples and bake with turkey. While you're at it roast some squash and voila a whole meal with lots of flavor.
    My go to spice combo is chili powder, cumin, garlic I'm never out of any of those spices.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Since I generally add meat I've already cooked to other dishes, I tend to go for simple flavors which can then be "dressed up" in the final dish. Marinating strips of meat/fish in crushed garlic and olive oil works well. Then I just warm the cooked strips in a wok with whatever other spices I want like ground cumin, 5-spice or rosemary and lemon zest.
  • dbmata
    Options
    if we're suggesting spice shops, i'd strongly suggest reviewing Penzey's. They have a great online catalog (better than in store) and their quality is as top notch as their price to value ratio.
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Most of my cooking is done on the grill so I'll use some vinegar based bbq sauces when cooking and when eating. They're a little more calorie friendly that the thicker sauces with more sugar but taste great combined with the flavor you get from cooking on hardwood charcoal.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Curry powder, allspice. I also stirfry chicken with green onion, jalapenos and red onions as the veggie side. Absolutely delicious. And I might add a squeeze of lemon or lime for freshness. I cut up boneless breasts and preseason and keep in a large baggy in the fridge so I can toss some in a pan for dinner every night. Very convenient.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    if we're suggesting spice shops, i'd strongly suggest reviewing Penzey's. They have a great online catalog (better than in store) and their quality is as top notch as their price to value ratio.

+1
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of different spice mixtures and store them in tupperware.

I use a lot of asian spices particularly for beef. I 'll marinate a tougher cut like london broil in siracha, soy sauce, honey, oregano, and white pepper. Then, I cook it to medium rare, slice thin and serve in lettuce wraps or on top a salad.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    For a sauce recommendation: Trader Joe's sweet chili sauce. It's got the whole sweet & spicy thing going on, and it's DELICIOUS. I love to do a stir-fry with that sauce, chicken, broccoli, bell peppers, onion, carrots & edamame served over quinoa. Yum!

For spices: I use original Mrs Dash in a lot of my cooking--but there are many other flavors available. I also like to use cumin, chili powder & garlic powder or minced garlic.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Take chicken with the skin on and season it with garlic salt, black pepper, and onion powder. Put it on the grill and get the skin nice and crispy.

Then, take yellow mustard, honey, and sriracha and mix it in a 4:2:1 ratio as listed. When the chicken is done, coat them mofos thoroughly and let them stay on the grill for another 1minute or so per side.

Thank your boy sidesteel for hooking you up with the best chicken you've ever tasted. Srs.