Cheesy vegan pasta

Options
lemonsurprise
lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
edited December 2014 in Recipes
I made this up and don't measure things but I'll give it a go!

Per person:
250ml almond milk
4 cloves garlic
1tspn olive oil
Half an onion
2tbspn nutritional yeast
50g (dry weight) pasta
Half a tomato
12.5g plain flour
Violife "cheese". The ONLY cheese that is good enough for this recipe but the cheese is also optional depending on how many calories you'd like to eat. The nutritional yeast gives enough of a flavour on it's own!

Start cooking the pasta. Meanwhile chop onions and garlic and fry them in oil for couple of minutes. Add flour and mix together. Slowly add almond milk, especially slow at the beginning as you need to work it in to a paste so as not to get lumps!
Add the rest of milk and stir until it has thickened. Add big punch salt and pepper. A shake or two of paprika to give a slightly more cheesy colour. Now you can blend in a food processor to give a smooth sauce (which I always do) or leave it with a bit of texture. Add to drained pasta. Garnish with tomato. Serve.

I use this sauce loads. You can use it in quinoa, pasta, vegetable dishes, and pasta bakes.

0czafbtot9sf.jpg

Replies

• lemonsurprise
    Options
    It's also had the mark of approval from meat eating and vegetarian friends. One of my meat eating friends actually asked for the recipe but used real cheese in it and said it wasn't anywhere near as good as the original!

And by the way, nutritional yeast can be bought from nearly all health food shops, little corner ones or bigger ones like Holland & Barrett. And Violife "cheese" is also sold at the same places as well as the odd Tescos here and there.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I do pretty much the same, but I'm sure we don't have Violife. I use Daiya when I want something 'cheesy' B) Looks good!
  • lemonsurprise
    Options
    Yep I've heard Daiya is the US equivalent as violife. We just can't get Daiya over here!