NSV - self-concept as a female lifter

Options
2»

Replies

• ACJP2014
    ACJP2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm an in the closet lifter too. Not that I really hide it (I work out at my work's gym), but the only person who has been supportive is my husband; and he's been great. He even bought the weights and developed a program for me as he used to lift weights. He's also acts as my personal trainer pushing me till I tell him (with a smile) that I hate him as he's made my arms feel like lead; and then pushing me more. He also tells me how proud he is of me -which is always nice to hear. But other than that I've had people who just ignore the point, which is fine by me, and I've had the ignorant responses. My sister warns me that I'll look like a man -this was after she informed me that I could never lift heavy weights but I educated her on what lifting heavy was. My mother is concerned that I'll injure myself "take care" she says even though she's never lifted weights. Even my boss once said to me when I told him what I was doing "Yeah, but women don't lift large weights it's not like you want to bulk up." And I've had another colleague laugh at me and send me photos of very very muscly (steroid created?) women.

So I now keep it to myself, I don't hide it but I don't talk about it. Maybe when I'm stronger (I've only just started) then I'll start wearing singlets proclaiming that I lift heavy -I always like the motto "Lift heavy or go home". So I guess I'm like you. I'll train like crazy and then be like "Oh this, just from lifting heavy, see I'm proof that you don't get bulky or turn into a man".

Lift on people, you all rock!
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I'm so not in the closet hahaha. People who are negative IMHO fall in to one of two groups - people who have a genuine care/worry and would respond to assurance and education, and people who can f*** off and whose opinion matters not.

It's a hard mindset to get into I think, particularly when you're female, but I genuinely believe the world is a better place when people give less f***s about things that don't affect them haha.

Admittedly my muscularity is pretty obvious but learning to give exactly zero cares to people who are concerned about me 'getting too big,' as it has no effect on them, and therefore theirconcerns have zero effect on me, has made me much more relaxed about lifting in general.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!