Fitbit one vs Jawbone UP

Options
I've been looking into these two items. I really want something that will not only track my movement throughout the day, and sync with MFP for my food log, but also will track my sleep patterns and give me the best feedback on the overall picture. It looks like the difference is only around $30 So I really want whichever seems to be the most intuitive, easy to use, motivating, and informative. I have a Galaxy S2 so I'd like to know how the apps compare for that too.

Do you guys have any input on one versus the other? What do you like about one, or what do you not like?

Also, if anyone uses a different device that is comparable, I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

Thanks!

Replies

• thewordwarrior
    Options
    Hi!

I'm looking into similar trackers. Since I'm still in the investigation phase myself, I can't recommend one over the other, but I did have a long conversation with a friend the other day about how much she absolutely loves her Fitbit, which I took as a strong endorsement. She showed it to me and it seemed simple and intuitive enough to use, and I really liked that it wirelessly synced with her computer and MFP. I don't know if she had considered other devices though.

Morgan
  • knot2thin
    knot2thin Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit one I love it. It does an awesome job of tracking my sleep and my steps. It also tracking the number of flights of stairs you do a day. It sync with MFP every 15 minutes. I love it. love it love it.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I am a big fitbit lover, but, we seem to have a problem with losing them. I believe it is poor design, unfortunately. We are down to our last two (one Ultra and one One). The Ultra we have had to "rig" up with a strap for extra support not to lose it. The One I lost today and it was clipped to the middle of my bra!! I lost it less than a week ago, but, was able to find it. That time it was clipped on the outside of my bra. It's a miracle that we rewalked the route and found it. My dh lost the inside part of his a week ago, but, we were able to find it in Pep Boys parking lot a day later. He was there doing some shopping, and I guess the box caught onto it, and the inside portion came out. Do some googling and research before making a decision. I LOVE fitbit, but, imo, they have not perfected it. It has been a huge motivator.

Marie
  • paulkesler
    paulkesler Posts: 2
    Options
    My Sister showed me the fitbit. i just got a fitbit and love it, syncs while still in my pocket. calories burned shared here, food logged here shared on fibit site, sleep is as easy as starting a stopwatch when going to bed and stopping it when you wake in the morning. did not look at jawbone product.
  • LadyElby
    LadyElby Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It definitely seems like more people have the Fitbit. I just recently discovered the UP and was looking into it. It looks like that has a better design in terms of not getting lost, as one of you discussed..... A friend of mine got me interested in the Fitbit One because she just got it and loves it. Hmmmmm what to do, what to do....?

Anyone else out there want to weigh in?
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit flex, which is a band with similar function to the Jawbone. I went with the Flex because the tech reviews I read preferred it to the UP. I love it! I syncs with MFP and wirelessly syncs with my iPhone. I believe I remember that the UP does a few more things than the flex, like a reminder to get up and move if you've been inactive for a certain amount of time.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I chose the Fitbit One because of the integration with MFP and with the Fitbit Aria scale, and because I don't like the feel of things around my wrist (I gave up on wristwatches for that reason). It is smaller, and there's the potential for loss. But unlike some reviewers, I find the rubber "sleeve" the Fitbit One is a solid fit and has a strong clip that keeps it in my pocket or on my waistband.

The downside is the small dongle for syncing (yes, that's a real word). I lost mine (I thought), but ordered another through their website (it was, I think, $14.95). Then when I did my laundry it fell out on the floor. So if you go Fitbit One, I'd suggest buying another wireless dongle just in case.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I chose the UP, in part because I don't have to find a place to clip it. I have heard of people wearing both and getting similar results, so I don't think functionality is an issue. Have you looked at their websites to try to determine which interface you prefer?
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, Fitbit is the better choice for function (Jawbone for looks as it comes in more varieties of color, that one does not wirelessly sync, you have to plug it in). I have not used either one... but I'm pretty sold on the Fitbit Flex. Problem is, they are on back order for 8-10 weeks and all the general stores (like Best Buy and Target) are sold out. :sad: Interested to see how the Fitbit One compares to the Flex.... I think I will forget it too often like I do my pedometer.... I never remember to wear it. The flex you wear 24/7. Water proof and everything.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Bump because I'm still interested in responses... :tongue:
  • hmarhofer
    hmarhofer Posts: 6
    Options
    Great topic!!! I've been in the market for a gadget too!!
  • getrealforme
    Options
    I have the UP and love it. It syncs easily with MFP, and makes tracking everything so easy. I got the UP basically because the Flex was sold out, and I did not want to wait 6 to 8 weeks. Both the Flex and the UP you wear 24/7. The UP has been very accurate, and so easy. I know people that got both the Flex and UP, and took the Flex back but I'm really not sure what the issues were. Both of these do not count steps if you are holding something in your arm/hand, or pushing a stroller. The arm you have the band on has to be moving with your step.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have the UP and love it. It syncs easily with MFP, and makes tracking everything so easy. I got the UP basically because the Flex was sold out, and I did not want to wait 6 to 8 weeks. Both the Flex and the UP you wear 24/7. The UP has been very accurate, and so easy. I know people that got both the Flex and UP, and took the Flex back but I'm really not sure what the issues were. Both of these do not count steps if you are holding something in your arm/hand, or pushing a stroller. The arm you have the band on has to be moving with your step.

That's interesting, because it doesn't count arm swings, either. It counts well when I use the Wii Step aerobics, even if I don't swing my arms much. I haven't double checked, but it also seemed to do fine with jogging in place with very small arm movements. Now I am going to have to go shopping to see if it counts while pushing a cart - I don't have any babies handy.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    The studies I've seen show the fitbit one to be the most accurate. I'm just worried I'd lose it.
    I like the idea of the bodymedia as well, but the armband and having it so prominent all the time if a turn off.
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love my Fitbit one, but I do agree it is easy to lose. In fast, I washed one accidentally once. They very kindly replaced it free of charge. I also don't like thngs around my wrist. I clip the one to the middle of my bra, and it keeps me from losing it (or washing it again).
  • jonnytango
    jonnytango Posts: 1
    Options
    For starters my Fitbit syncs 'live' data through my iphone 4s which is fantastic and means i know exactly where i am vs my goals all the time, and because it uses the latest super-low-energy Bluetooth my iphone battery remains unaffected. My friend has an UP and hates the fact he has to physically plug into his Samsung GS4 to download the data.....it makes a mockery out of wanting to be motivated when chasing your goals - what is the point of having to plug in to find out how well you're doing?!! How backward is that?!! And also he can't use MFP with his Samsung as the UP only works on iOS with 3rd party apps. So Fitbit wins easily :-)
  • getrealforme
    Options

That's interesting, because it doesn't count arm swings, either. It counts well when I use the Wii Step aerobics, even if I don't swing my arms much. I haven't double checked, but it also seemed to do fine with jogging in place with very small arm movements. Now I am going to have to go shopping to see if it counts while pushing a cart - I don't have any babies handy.

I would like to know what you figure out. I know if I am pushing a stroller, or holding my phone, or something else in my hand the the band is on, it does not count it. But you are right, It counts steps even if you arms are not moving alot. I do not really know the answer. I have heard the same thing about the Flex
  • getrealforme
    Options
    For starters my Fitbit syncs 'live' data through my iphone 4s which is fantastic and means i know exactly where i am vs my goals all the time, and because it uses the latest super-low-energy Bluetooth my iphone battery remains unaffected. My friend has an UP and hates the fact he has to physically plug into his Samsung GS4 to download the data.....it makes a mockery out of wanting to be motivated when chasing your goals - what is the point of having to plug in to find out how well you're doing?!! How backward is that?!! And also he can't use MFP with his Samsung as the UP only works on iOS with 3rd party apps. So Fitbit wins easily :-)

I have an UP and love it, but I do wish it synced without having to be plugged in. That is the only issue I have with it.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It definitely seems like more people have the Fitbit. I just recently discovered the UP and was looking into it. It looks like that has a better design in terms of not getting lost, as one of you discussed..... A friend of mine got me interested in the Fitbit One because she just got it and loves it. Hmmmmm what to do, what to do....?

Anyone else out there want to weigh in?

I LITERALLY (as in a few hrs ago!) ordered the Body Media :) From all the research I did, it seems the most intuitive and accurate :)
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    My friend got the jawbone. It didn't count a lot of her steps and ended up really stinking. She ended up breaking down and getting the fitbit one about a month after she got the jawbone and states that it's WAY better. The fitbit flex is nice but a lot of people who went from the one to the flex have a lot of complaints over the fact that it doesn't count stairs.