Bikram Yoga?

Hey everyone, just curious about anyone who has done this before. I have done some yoga classes (maybe 2/week for a few months) but I'm really more of a horseback rider/jogging with my dog/boot camp person, but a few friends have raved about it. Would anyone be so kind as to share their experiences? I could use good stretching b/c riding tightens up muscles, would love to get more lean muscle and lose some fat, but these are expensive classes, and I am considering whether to invest my time/money? Am thinking I'll try a first class this week. Thanks in advance for any and all input!

Replies

• liftreadphilosophize
    liftreadphilosophize Posts: 180 Member
    I happen to like Bikram Yoga (though I prefer hot yoga with flow incorporated). It will certainly help loosen you up, and sweating that much feels goooooooooood. :-) Be careful your first couple times, though, because with such a warm room your muscles will "feel" like they can go deeper into stretches than they really should. But I hope you enjoy it!
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    I happen to like Bikram Yoga (though I prefer hot yoga with flow incorporated). It will certainly help loosen you up, and sweating that much feels goooooooooood. :-) Be careful your first couple times, though, because with such a warm room your muscles will "feel" like they can go deeper into stretches than they really should. But I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the input! I like to sweat, so that part sounds great! Do you feel like its a good addition for burning calories/losing fat/gaining muscle?
  • rachface1234
    anyone else??
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    I got a great deal on Groupon and tried it for a month with my sister.

Honestly, I hated it. I found it boring and while I lost water weight from sweating, within a hour I drank back whatever weight I lost. It didn't do anything for me one way or another, besides be the longest hour of my life each time.

If you do decide to try it my advice is put thought in what you are wearing since you are going to soak them and cotton sucks.
  • I can't do any hot yoga because of medical reasons (I'm not allowed to go in sauna's either, hot tubs are ok but only 15 minutes at a time). I've heard Bikram is super expensive too.

I go to a local yoga/pilates studio and yes it's a chain but I pay $65 a month unlimited access. It's called YogaWork/BarWorks (which includes fat burning classes and sculpting classes) as well as a few Pilates classes. They are only in like 3 states though, but it's cheaper and I've already noticed a big difference since I started yoga 10 months ago. Much more flexible and relaxed.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    I personally don't care for Bikram. My yoga is set at 93-95 degrees and is just a normal vinyasa flow. I find Bikram boring and repetitive. My brother swears by it, though. My body can just handle 95 degrees - 105/40% humidity is entirely too much for me.

But it's worth a shot to decide for yourself. People who love it seem to LOVE it. I do flow 6-7 days a week and wouldn't trade it for anything.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I got a groupon for 5 classes and I hated it. I went twice and that's it. The entire time I felt like I was going to pass out, so I was seeing stars and bracing myself in case I actually did pass out. I also felt really nauseous both times and the teacher told me it's because I ate too much too close to class (a granola bar 3 hours before class made me nauseous?). You get completely soaked with sweat so you need to bring a bath towel to put over your yoga mat otherwise you'll slip. Most people were wearing sports bras and shorts.

I will say that I did these a couple years ago when I wasn't in very good shape, so I might have a different experience now. Exercising in a 105 degree room just isn't my cup of tea I guess, but I understand why some people like it.
  • imhungry2012
    imhungry2012 Posts: 240 Member
    Def try a class before commiting!! I think sometimes they do one for free at some places.

My exprience: bought a living social deal for 1 week unlimited to a reputable place in Norwalk, CT (cant remember the name) with a friend of mine just to try something new. The first class, as expected/warned by others, I could barely stay standing for half the class and laid down for at least half of the class (this is what they instruct you to do - the first class they just want you to try and stay in the room). I ended up doing it 5 times that week to give it a change and get the most out of my deal...in the end I was able to fully participate (as best I can as I am not flexible or even into regular yoga) and do all the poses without laying down.

My opinion is that it should be a form of torture, I did not like it at all for a couple of reasons: way too hot for me, I like sweating but sitting in my own sweat and smelling others so close to me was a negative for me. I also did not like that it was the same every single time, Bikram uses the same poses each time which was boring to me. Lastly, 90 minutes is too long in those conditions.

I have a friend who swears by it and does it almost every day and loves it.

I am a boxing, boot camp, weights, jogging kind of gal so to invest that much $$ (it's expensive!) is not worth it to me. I just joined a boxing gym that has boxing and kickboxing classes for $82/month which is expensive, but so worth it for me since I like it soo much.

Just my 2 cents, do it if you like it but there are plenty of other options for gaining lean muscle and losing fat that do not require you to be in a smelly hot room for 90 mins!
  • jaeein
    jaeein Posts: 5 Member
    I love it. I go very regularly (for the past 2 years). I don't go solely for weight loss reasons but overall detoxification (because you'll sweat so much like you have never sweated before), calorie burner, stronger balance, back/spine strengthening, etc.

You will want to drink tons of water throughout the day so your body is well hydrated. 1-2 liters of water during and more liquid afterwards.

I think that when people first start, they're sweating out all the bad stuff in their system. the more you go, the cleaner you'll feel. and for whatever reason, I feel like eating healthier afterwards. It would be so disgusting to eat a hamburger after a Bikram yoga session. I'd rather have a cold pressed green juice to replace all the electrolytes in my body with 100% natural plant goodness than highly processed animal fat foods.

I also notice my heart racing after some poses. I am definitely breathing throughout but some poses require so much concentration and leg strength. it's definitely working you out. Check out the Bikram yoga instructors' bodies too. My regular teachers are all slim and toned no matter their age (and i think they're much older than they appear). The female instructors have beautiful svelte bodies.

Regular yoga for 90 mins burns approx 300 calories for me according to myfitnesspal. I'm sure that Bikram yoga burns at least 2xs that combined with the sweating.

There are 26 poses that were specifically designed by Bikram Choudhury for various health reasons. I personally like that it's the same 26 poses each time because with each class, I can see myself improving each position. If it changed all the time, it would be harder to tell if I'm improving the poses.

One thing i also really like about Bikram yoga is it's very "agnostic". you won't hear instructors talking about metaphysical and spiritual stuff like you might hear in more traditional yoga studios, except that it's a 90 min moving meditation. No matter what your belief system or if you have none, Bikram yoga doesn't conflict internally. it's just straight 26 poses that helps all sorts of internal organs and strengthens your body.
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    I would suggest you go to a yoga studio that lets you try the first class for free or for a drop-in rate to see how you like it.
  • msphyl46
    msphyl46 Posts: 49
    I tried Birkram Yoga for the first time last Wednesday and headed there straight after work. Really with all exercises to each his own. I personally like it. I was able to stay in the heated 105 degree room the entire class and finish most of the poses on the first day I did sit down a couple times. But again its about what benefits you personally. I'm almost 50 years old and since doing it in a short week I can balance myself more easy and my back is getting stronger and my bending is better. My left knee was giving out on me before I started and I can tell it is strengthening. Honestly all I can say is try it for yourself as others has said some love it and some hate. I happen to be one that is loving it and the price is a small cost in comparison to spending it on other things that don't benefit me health wise. Oh yea I did see a groupon for half price for the 1st month at half off check the web. If you decide to go make sure to drink a lot of water so you are well hydrated before class you don't want to drink a lot of water in class it will make you nausea. So that's my 2 cents use it wisely. Have a awesome day!!!
  • rachface1234
    Thanks all for your input! I think I will try it for myself and just see.... but I like to feel like I am armed with opinions from both those that do and don't like something first.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    I regularly do a hot vinyasa flow class. I absolutely love it. It took me about three times before I really started to love it. I was incredibly sore after and have seen a huge change in my body.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    See, I am not a religious person whatsoever, but I adore the very minute spiritual lessons I gain in each flow class I attend. It's actually a pretty big reason I love to practice. For instance, today was a simple, "be compassionate to a friend, a stranger, an enemy, and an animal today." That was it. Nothing crazy, but such a wonderful little reminder of how to live a full, balanced life. I used to scoff at the idea of the need for little reminders to be a good person, but you'd be surprised how much a seemingly thoughtless remark can have on your entire day, which is also why I like to practice in the morning. It sets my tone for the day. It helps me adjust my attitude. It reminds me to not sweat the small stuff. It helps me to be thankful and grateful for a body that can move and for the position I am mentally, physically, and financially to be able to practice yoga.

The composure you maintain in the challenge that is the physical practice carries over into your life and how you respond rather than react to less than pleasant experiences and situations.

So, personally, without those little nuances, I would be less likely to feel quite as fulfilled after yoga. It's SO much more than exercise.
  • Hav you heard Bikram Choudhury, founder of Bikram Yoga is being charged with 2 counts of rape and is facing numerous sexual harassment charges? - www.podiumleaks.org
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    all the negative reviews have me worrying about my first bikram class tonight. yikes!

anyone else LIKE it? tips for preparing for the class? or just not passing out during the class?