running on a sprained ankle

Options
I think I've sprained my ankle. It has been hurting a little since I started running 12 days ago, but after my run today it hurts a lot! There are crazy looking veins on the side of it too. Does anyone know how long I will have to stay off of it? I am really bummed about the setback!

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Go to the doctor if you haven't already and make sure it is a sprain and not a break or fracture. Sprains can take forever and a day to heal, so I would ask your doctor.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Go to the dr! And stop running on it! I would think it would take a few weeks to heal properly, but I've never sprained anything so I wouldn't know!
  • kellieprindle
    kellieprindle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I live in a very rural area so I was trying to avoid the doctor, but I realize that is probably a bad idea. I just started seeing muscle tone and now I feel I am back to the drawing board. :( I don't remember rolling the ankle and the pain came on slowly...weird!!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I live in a very rural area so I was trying to avoid the doctor, but I realize that is probably a bad idea. I just started seeing muscle tone and now I feel I am back to the drawing board. :( I don't remember rolling the ankle and it and the pain came on slowly...weird!!

It's not sprained.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You would not be running on it if it was really sprained. The pain would be far to great.

If you are having persistent, similar problems though you need to go see a doctor to figure out what is really going on.

Sprains tend to be dramatic, instantaneous injuries. Not something that develops slowly over time.
  • kellieprindle
    Options
    I am giving in and seeing the doctor at 3pm. They will most likely call it a sprain and send me in for xrays anyway. Oh well, I just don't understand what it can be, but now my ankle feels like it is going to explode with pain and pressure. I tolerate pain extremely well so I am really confused.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    it's not sprained if you're able to run on it or put any amount of pressure on it
  • RGv2
    Options
    it's not sprained if you're able to run on it or put any amount of pressure on it

Not true.
  • RGv2
    Options
    I am giving in and seeing the doctor at 3pm. They will most likely call it a sprain and send me in for xrays anyway. Oh well, I just don't understand what it can be, but now my ankle feels like it is going to explode with pain and pressure. I tolerate pain extremely well so I am really confused.

A sprain is a stretched/partially torn ligament. You needed to do something out of the ordinary to injure the ligaments, usually from rolling it.
  • kellieprindle
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I read about stress fractures and that fact that the pain comes on gradually seems to explain my symptoms better than a sprain. Either way, maybe choosing to run out of sight on an old dirt road in the mountains was a poor first choice.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advise! I read about stress fractures and that fact that the pain comes on gradually seems to explain my symptoms better than a sprain. Either way, maybe choosing to run out of sight on an old dirt road in the mountains was a poor first choice.

I don't think so. The dirt would be much easier to run on that asphalt or concrete.