Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Options
52cardpickup
52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm currently restarting New Rules of Lifting for Women, and I wanted to add in the Zombies! Run! 5k training program on my rest days. I'm not brand new to running, I'd just like to improve my times a little bit/have something to do on my days off.

The Zombies! Run! program is only 8 weeks long, so I'll be part of the way into Stage Two of NROL4W by the time I'm done it.

Am I doing too much by doing both of these programs? I'd still have one solid day of rest built in to my week.

If I did both, would I have to adjust my calorie intake to get the most out of my lifting days? Should I do high/low calories depending on whether I'm running or lifting that day?

#wallofquestions

ETA: I'm currently cutting slightly and capitalizing on noob gains, if that makes any difference.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    lol at your #

It'll be a lot, but certainly not undoable. Make sure you're getting enough rest (both sleep and intentional recovery), and make sure you're getting enough calories. I wouldn't suggest cycling calories, but if that works better for you in the long run, then go for it.

Also, because you'll be doing both, your progress in either area will be reduced slightly compared to solely focusing on one type of training. Not a big deal as the impact shouldn't be *that* significant, but it is something to keep in mind as far as goals/expectations go.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    One is strenght and one is cardio so both are going to be helpful together in different ways and should work good together. Rather or not it's a good idea to start them both at once is going to depend on how active you were before you started back New Rules. You could see how you felt after giving it a week or so and pull back or hold off on the zombies (or just do something mindless like a default setting on a cardio machine, then give zombies your full attention once you are happy with your strength routine) a little if it feels like a lot at once.

As far as how much eat, you'll still be at a deficit even if you eat more on strength days so let your hunger be a guide. I tend to eat more on rest days, but that's me I don't know what will work for you.

I wish you luck with both! I liked how New Rules helped me get over the intimidation factor of lifting and the zombie thing sounds like a fun twist on Couch to 5k.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You might have to dial one back a little bit and slow the program down- but I mean- it's certainly feasible depending on how full the rest of your life is.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I saw someone shoot themself in the foot once, it was with a 44 mag.

You'd know if you did that. It's kinda, permanent.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    heh
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

He played for the Giants, didn't he?
  • 52cardpickup
    Options

Are you suggesting that shooting myself in the foot would negatively impact my ability to run away from zombies?

As for everyone else's advice, I used iifym.com to calculate how many calories I need if I work out at the level I'm thinking I'm going to be working out, so I'll eat slightly less than that and see how I feel. I've built in rest days and will be taking a deload week off after stage one of NROL4W while I continue ZR, so hopefully that'll help.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nope.
  • dbmata
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

He played for the Giants, didn't he?

Hah, no. He was in a new hampster militia, and was trying to be hardcore.

It was quite impressive. I told him he should do that for recruitment purposes. We then had to forcibly disarm him. lol.
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    nope.

this makes me feel better.
  • dbmata
    Options

Are you suggesting that shooting myself in the foot would negatively impact my ability to run away from zombies?

As for everyone else's advice, I used iifym.com to calculate how many calories I need if I work out at the level I'm thinking I'm going to be working out, so I'll eat slightly less than that and see how I feel. I've built in rest days and will be taking a deload week off after stage one of NROL4W while I continue ZR, so hopefully that'll help.
    I'm suggesting that I answered your question.

You'll know if you shot yourself in the foot.

A little running with a little lifting? Make sure you rest when you need it, but you'll be fine.
  • 52cardpickup
    Options

I'm suggesting that I answered your question.

You'll know if you shot yourself in the foot.

A little running with a little lifting? Make sure you rest when you need it, but you'll be fine.

Hahaha I got that, thanks. MFP is the worst EVER for conveying tone.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yup, doubly so when certain posters (me) like to play with wording to create posts that could convey multiple types of tone, depending on what the reader wants to project. ;)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I'll project...

all over you.

wait. what are we talking about again?
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    if you have a gun aimed at your leg, then yes... yes you are...

Otherwise, Nope! Not in my eyes
  • 52cardpickup
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I'll project...

all over you.

wait. what are we talking about again?

What kind of project? Arts and crafts? That could get messy...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    lollllllll

not project.

pro-ject.... but I mean perhaps I'll project my project all over you- THEN- it could get messy- glue and glitter and all.

wait- that sounds like my friday nights.
  • dbmata
    Options
    pro-ject-kake?
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    LOL!

To the OP, you'll have to judge for yourself once you have both programs going in-tandem. Generally, it's hard to work on multiple goals at once. I'm not completely familiar with New Rules either so it's hard for me to gauge the volume, intensity, and frequency. If you start feeling like *kitten* once you start both, then you'll know that one of those has to go. There is no such thing as 110%, your body has 100% and once it's done it's done.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i do a weight training program while doing 6-8 miles a day.

you'll be fine.