I feel like i am slowly drifting into my old habits?

Options
I reached my goal weight by using myfitness pal but now I feel like I am drifting to my old habits of eating out of boredom .It doesn't help that now its winter time and I don't go to gym that often and I cant run outside.

I still track for most part but then I end up going back in cub boards to grab another cookie or ice cream. Few days ago a co worker brought some chocolate cookies at work and I ended up taking a bunch of them home .Now I cant stop eating them throughout the day.

I feel like I am drifting into my old habits and before I know it the pounds will start creeping back up. I guess the work never ends if I want to keep the weight off. Has anyone reach their goal and gain the weight back?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    At least you are recognizing this. Most people who gain it all back do so because they don't catch it early.

• draco25000
    draco25000 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ugh me too, I bought a 400g jar of nutella on Sunday and I've already nearly finished half fnsjfdfjsndj. I need motivation but seeing as I have only 1-2lbs left to lose I feel so complacent ._.
  • irejuvenateme
    irejuvenateme Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I certainly came close - I was at 194/6 got down to 165-167 range a couple years back and this summer I rejoined at 184 (something like that).

If you can keep logging it's probably a good idea. Sounds like you need a maintenance plan or to set some new goals to keep you inspired (race you will run in spring, commitment to a class or workout buddy...)

What is the reason you are not going to the gym? Is it not interesting? Are there are other active things you could get involved in?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So if you recognize this, then you can do something about it...like not drift back into your old habits. Maybe challenge yourself to go to the gym more because it's winter...maybe challenge yourself to be more mindful of what you're eating because it's the holiday season...rather than making winter or the holiday season or it's cold out or dark out or whatever excuses...use these things as a challenge to overcome.

You have to realize that there will always be a constant struggle. Your weight loss was just training for the real race...and that race is an arduous one.
  • LaurenPell123
    LaurenPell123 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. Not at maintenance yet but getting closer and I was doing really well until it started getting dark early.
    Now all I want to do is eat and sleep, if it wasn't for the walk to uni and my boyfriend insisting we need to go climbing more often I don't think I'd do much at all :neutral_face:
    Need to get back on it.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said before that losing weight is the easy part, lots of people do it. Keeping the weight off long term is the challenge.

It's very normal and common to creep back into old habits. You've noticed it happening, so now make some small changes again. Go back to the habits you had when you lost weight. The only real difference would be to eat a little more...at maintenance level, not a deficit.

If you can't make it to the gym as often, perhaps find some other exercises to do at home? If you know you're not going to work out as much, dial back your daily intake and be strict about it. When exercising picks back up, so can the calories.

Perhaps it'd help to minimize the snack food you keep at home? I always have something at home I love, but avoid buying the items I know I binge on.

I'm not quite in maintenance mode, as I have 5-10lbs I'd like to lose, but I've learned I have to keep making small tweaks and set new fitness goals to maintain my current level. I consider it a life-long journey and accept the challenge. :)
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yep. Unfortunately, many times.

I've decided I have a broken appetite and am just going to have to track calories the rest of my life. Only thing that will work, and it's no more use trying to avoid that than not wearing corrective lenses if I want to be able to see.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I certainly came close - I was at 194/6 got down to 165-167 range a couple years back and this summer I rejoined at 184 (something like that).

If you can keep logging it's probably a good idea. Sounds like you need a maintenance plan or to set some new goals to keep you inspired (race you will run in spring, commitment to a class or workout buddy...)

What is the reason you are not going to the gym? Is it not interesting? Are there are other active things you could get involved in?

I still try to find time to go but its hard because of the cold and sometimes we get snow storm and I cant be bothered to drive lol.I go more often in summer time since its nice outside and I often run outside in summer time but I obviously cant anymore. I am thinking to get workout dvds but I know I will get bored with that easily.it might be worth a try

• kailibertsch
    kailibertsch Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I've decided I have a broken appetite and am just going to have to track calories the rest of my life. Only thing that will work, and it's no more use trying to avoid that than not wearing corrective lenses if I want to be able to see.

I agree with you. I've lost weight so many times just for it to find me again after i've gone back to my old ways. I'll just be a counter for life, but I am ok with that.
  • Tanie98
    Tanie98 Posts: 675 Member
    Options

I agree with you. I've lost weight so many times just for it to find me again after i've gone back to my old ways. I'll just be a counter for life, but I am ok with that.

I agree logging definitely keep us accountable
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Nip it in the bud and don't throw away all your hard work!. For maintainance I eat like I did when loosing throughout the week then I can have a treat at the weekend without gaining weight.
  • autopilot_off
    autopilot_off Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    One thing that has helped me more than anything with eating out of boredom was to make sure I wasn't bored. It's a habit only YOU can break. Keep yourself busy. Also, try planning snacks and treats so they fit within your calorie goals.

Though I haven't yet reached my goal weight I would suggest that you make another goal to work toward. Perhaps a fitness goal such as "I want to squat X amount" or "I want to be able to do X number of pushups without stopping" or "I want to run a 5K in X minutes." Keep challenging yourself.