calories in artificial sweeteners?

Options
Now that it is cold out I am drinking a LOT more coffee in an attempt to stay warm. Unfortunately, I like my coffee SWEET and feel the need to use 7 Equal packets to make a 20oz mug of coffee sweet enough for me. I've been on MFP long enough to know that NOTHING except for plain water is truly zero calories, including artificial sweeteners.

So my question is...does anybody have any idea just how many calories there are in one Equal packet? I know it's less than 5, but HOW MUCH LESS? If I were only consuming a few packets a day I wouldn't be concerned about this, but I am using between 28 and 35 packets of the stuff per day. Thanks!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking in the database?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    corinic91 wrote: »

So if you're having 28 packets per day, that makes 112 cals, 24.92g carbs, and 5.6g protein. The sweetener itself is not what causes the calorie and carb count, but the carrier that must be used to bulk it. It is too lightweight on its own. Usually maltodextrin or dextrose is added. If you want a pass, find a liquid version.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    omg 28 -35 packets a day my stomach dies after like 3 or 4
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

if you're having 28 packets per day, that makes 112 cals, 24.92g carbs, and 5.6g protein.

YIKES!!!! I'm glad I asked and also glad that I increased my exercise level dramatically around the same time I started drinking coffee so the effect of the extra calories I've consumed thus far should be minimal since until now I didn't think I was eating back any exercise calories.'

That is FABULOUS advice and I plan to go look for a liquid sweetener I like TODAY! Thank you SO much, baconslave! :smiley:

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    7 packets? Is it even coffee anymore after that?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

if you're having 28 packets per day, that makes 112 cals, 24.92g carbs, and 5.6g protein.

YIKES!!!! I'm glad I asked and also glad that I increased my exercise level dramatically around the same time I started drinking coffee so the effect of the extra calories I've consumed thus far should be minimal since until now I didn't think I was eating back any exercise calories.'

That is FABULOUS advice and I plan to go look for a liquid sweetener I like TODAY! Thank you SO much, baconslave! :smiley:

NP. They are pricey, but they are also usually super concentrated, so 1 drop is like 1 packet. I use a stevia/monkfruit blend that is ok. Liquid Splenda (sucralose) tastes better. I haven't tried an aspartame (Equal) one yet. Happy searching. :smile:

I like my coffee sweet, too, btw.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    7 packets? Is it even coffee anymore after that?
    LOL! I guess you could say I like a little coffee with my sweetener!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    OMG it's on the package. How can you add more than one? And Stevia/Truvia is better for you.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    OMG it's on the package. How can you add more than one? And Stevia/Truvia is better for you.

How is it better for you? Please link to scientific journals that can show this.

I personally can not stand the taste of stevia. Accidentally bought something with it in it, and spit it out as soon as I tasted it.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    Options

NP. They are pricey, but they are also usually super concentrated, so 1 drop is like 1 packet. I use a stevia/monkfruit blend that is ok. Liquid Splenda (sucralose) tastes better. I haven't tried an aspartame (Equal) one yet. Happy searching. :smile:

I like my coffee sweet, too, btw.

It never stopped raining here so I decided to wait until tomorrow to search out liquid sweetener options!

I also like Splenda/sucralose in the packets so if I can't find one with aspartame then I will most likely try one with sucralose. I did NOT like Truvia (stevia) when I tried that in the packets, so I think I will steer myself clear of the liquid version of it as well.

VERY good to know that a little goes a long way with the liquids. I am going to sweeten my coffee one drop at a time until I figure out how many drops I need per cup.

Thanks again for all of the very helpful information! :smile:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

How is it better for you? Please link to scientific journals that can show this.

c'mon gurl, we all know how this always ends.

amirite-eel.jpg
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    Options

I personally can not stand the taste of stevia. Accidentally bought something with it in it, and spit it out as soon as I tasted it.

47Jacqueline----the Equal package actually says that a packet contains ZERO calories even though it does not because they are legally allowed to say that anything with less than 5 calories has NONE.

elphie754----I actually read recently (sorry I don't the link immediately available, but will try to find it again) that Equal/aspartame is one of the safest artificial sweeteners because either the FDA or USDA (think it was the FDA) has tested it more extensively than almost any other food ingredient ever made!

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

47Jacqueline----the Equal package actually says that a packet contains ZERO calories even though it does not because they are legally allowed to say that anything with less than 5 calories has NONE.

elphie754----I actually read recently (sorry I don't the link immediately available, but will try to find it again) that Equal/aspartame is one of the safest artificial sweeteners because either the FDA or USDA (think it was the FDA) has tested it more extensively than almost any other food ingredient ever made!

That I can believe. I really do dislike all the fear mongering surrounding aspartame. I don't disagree that some people may have a sensitivity to it, but you can have a sensitivity to ANY food.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    Options

That I can believe. I really do dislike all the fear mongering surrounding aspartame. I don't disagree that some people may have a sensitivity to it, but you can have a sensitivity to ANY food.

I agree that there are too many rumors about aspartame and other foods too. Like you said SOME people may have a problem with it, but that doesn't mean that EVERYONE will.

And I did find the link to the information I mentioned earlier regarding the safety of aspartame! :smile:

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It is 5 calories. I use it with my coffee every day! And for the day, if I drink a diet soda or something that does say calorie free I may add extra 5 or 10% calories to my nutrition in case something might have trace calories.

Everything used for "fuel" has a calorie. But things like sugar alcohol, aspartame, etc.. have to have some sort of body processing where it sees as a toxin or it wants to use it or store it!
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    It is 5 calories. I use it with my coffee every day! And for the day, if I drink a diet soda or something that does say calorie free I may add extra 5 or 10% calories to my nutrition in case something might have trace calories.
    I don't add extra calories into my daily total, but I do eat fewer calories than MFP recommends to account for things like trace calories and and frozen entrees that likely contain a larger portion than what is stated on the packaging!