HRM recommendations

Options
Hi guys.
I've had a Polar Ft4 now for a few years. I haven't gotten much use of it because it sat around for most of those years. I've been actively using it now for about 6 months and it's going on the fritz. Saying my HR is super high, losing the HR, etc. (and the stupid gym machines make it worse) Anyways, I've tried doing everything I could to get it to quit doing those things but I think it's time for a new one.

Can anyone suggest a good HRM for $100 or less? With Christmas around the corner I don't want to spend too much money because well, I've already spent a ton of Christmas presents for others. I was thinking of getting another Ft4, but that almost seems silly. I heard the FT7's weren't bad.

Replies

• IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Silly question...have you replaced the battery? That might help.
  • IndiaGuerita1983
    IndiaGuerita1983 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Amazon has cheap HRM for sale if changing the battery doesn't work.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did. When I pulled it out of the closet about 6 months ago, it was dead. So, I replaced the battery and it was good to go. It was fine for awhile but now it's really acting up and being all screwy and for some strange reason it puts me in a bad mood. Lol.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I'm going to be annoying again: First, did you replace the batteries in both the watch and the chest transmitter? Second, did you wash the chest strap well?

Mine was behaving similarly to yours - either it said my HR was really high, or 00, or it couldn't find it at all. Once I did both those things above (including a quick soak of the strap in baking soda/water) it began working perfectly again.

That said, sometimes you just want something new :) In that case, hate to say it, but for that budget, another Polar is your best bet. If you want an upgrade, the FT40 in Black is $101 on Amazon.
  • _whatsherface
    Options
    Yes and yes. I will try the baking soda and water. What is the correct measurement for that and how do you wash it in that solution?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 as well. If you haven't been using it regularly for a little while, have you updated the settings with your current weight? Mine was acting weird until I put my new weight in there. Just trying to save you a couple bucks :)
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Do contact Polar in your country! Their service is outstanding and they regularly replace faulty watches or repair them for free! Phone them up.
  • _whatsherface
    Options
    That's a good tip! Trousty, I've been using it regularly for 6 months so I have updated everything. I'm going to replace the batteries one more time and see if that helps and if not, I will call Polar. Thanks so much!