Took my starting measurements.....

Options
Laurend224
Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
And it ain't pretty. My hip circumference is 49.5 inches, or pretty much as tall as my nine year old daughter. Anyone else want to fess up their first measurements?

Replies

• dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd done this, I never took a starting photo or measurements of course when I started out I didn't know I was really going to have such an impact on myself. Kudos for facing the measuring tape! My original clothing size starting out was a 22W and 13 years later with the occasional set backs I've been proudly wearing a size 6 for about 9 months now.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started garment sewing over the summer, and taking my measurements for making clothing was 50% of what motivated me to start losing weight. When I realized my hips were putting me in a size 6, but my waist was putting me in a 10-12, it started to click that I was NOT in a healthy place weight-wise, even though I was relatively "small." (Damn apple shape LOL!)
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Haha. This is a huge motivator for me. I never want to see that number again!
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    53" waist, 48" hips, and 19.5" neck

Currently at 50.25" waist, 45.25" hips, and 18.25" neck after six weeks. :)
  • Laurend224
    Options

That is awesome progress!!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    My hips started at 50".. as of Sept, they were down to 43". I need to remeasure and see what the new update is.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

That is awesome progress!!

Thanks! :D
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My starting measurements in October were:
    Waist 40.5" Hips 40" Neck 16.5" Thigh 20.5" Calf 15"
    In November almost all of my measurements were smaller. My waist is actually smaller than my hips now!
  • nicoleromine
    nicoleromine Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I started this whole thing in March 2014, but I didn't measure until late April 2014. Here are those measurements:
    Waist: 38"
    Hips: 44"
    Bust: 37.25"
    Thigh: 26.25"
    Calf: 16.75"

Here are my measurements as of last week:
    Waist: 27.5"
    Hips: 37.25"
    Bust: 32" (yes, depressing but true!)
    Thigh: 23"
    Calf: 14.5"

I've transitioned from weight-loss to trying to build muscle, so it will be interesting to see how these measurements change in the next few months.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Great progress everyone! You have inspired me to post ALL my stats:

Neck: 14.75
    Chest: 43.25
    Waist: 41 (been telling myself it was 35 for a looooooong time)
    Hips: 49.5
    Arms 14 inches of solid flubber
    Thigh:24.25
    Calf:17

I'm only a week into my this, I want to measure in another 4 weeks.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd rather not share mine, but thank you for this thread. It will be inspiring to watch.
  • nicoleromine
    Options
    That's awesome Laurend224. I'd measure and take photos every 4 weeks. It can be depressing to start, but it will track your progress so much better than the scale! My greatest regret is not doing those 2 things from the get-go, so kudos to you. :)
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Thank you Nicoleromine!
  • chele402
    chele402 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Starting Stats (9/8)
    Waist - 30.5"
    Bust - 36.6"
    Arm - 12.5"
    Hips - 40"
    Thigh - 25.5"

Current
    Waist - 28"
    Bust - 35.5"
    Arm - 11.75"
    Hips - 38"
    Thigh - 23.75"
  • powernapp
    powernapp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Going to ask what might be a really stupid question - When you guys measure, how are you certain that you're measuring in the same spot consistently? I could measure the top of my arm or my waist and get one number, but if I go back and measure just slightly above or below that spot, I'm going to get a different number - does that make sense? Just curious how you get around that. It's the one thing that's stopped me from measuring in the past - I can't imagine that I would be very accurate.
  • nicoleromine
    Options
    The first time I measured, I had my husband take pictures of where the tape was located. That way, if I have any doubt about the tape placement, I just refer back to the pics. At this point, though, I have a really good feel for where I need to be measuring.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    For something like arms, measure X" down from the shoulder (or up from the elbow) every time. Do the same thing for thighs (down from your hip or up from your knee). Waist is usually at the thinnest point you can see in a mirror, or you could measure at the bellybutton (or X" up from the bellybutton, depending on how you are built). Make sure you're measuring flexed or relaxed every time. It's helpful to flex your stomach muscles when you measure your waist so you're not tempted to suck in.
  • Cassie_DE
    Cassie_DE Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    If you have a conveniently place freckle, scar, or tattoo you can orient yourself. If not, maybe Nicole's method of taking a photo would work. For certain places like the waist you could measure over the belly button, or for the calf somewhere like 3 inches below the knee.

While you've got the measuring tape in hand, women can measure their ribcage just below the root of their breasts snugly (or very snugly if you are very soft there) to get a measurement for what the number part of their bra size should be I.E. the "34" of a 34B bra. If your measurements are anywhere between 33 inches to 35 inches you'll find that a 34 inch bra band gives you the best support. Odds are you're smaller there than you expect!
  • powernapp
    powernapp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So helpful, I appreciate all your advice!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    I didn't start taking measurements until I decided to start lifting heavy. My highest weight was 155 lbs, so I have no clue what my measurements were then.

March 2014 (140 lbs)
    Bust: 35"
    Waist: 29"
    Hips: 37"
    Thigh: 22"
    Calf: 14.5"
    Arm: 11.5"

November 2014 (123 lbs)
    Bust: 33.5"
    Waist: 26"
    Hips: 34"
    Thigh: 20"