Nutrition Plans

Options
Has anyone paid for a nutrition plan from a trainer? Did it help you reach your goals sooner?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Lol.

Estimate TDEE/maintenance calories, subtract 20% or less, eat that with wahtever foods you want. Eat at least 0.82 x your total weight in grams of protein and lift heavy if you want to maintain as much lean body mass as possible. Buy a food scale and you're golden.

That's the only nutrition plan you need.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would even consider it. A nutritionist, maybe, but not a trainer. If they want to share a plan as part of their normal program, I might consider it, but I wouldn't pay an additional fee for it.

Count calories, eat lots of protein and veggies, let the rest sort itself out.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No. Do not pay a trainer for nutritional information.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My trainer gave me a 21-day challenge to do forty minutes on the treadmill every day and I would lose ten pounds.

Nope.

I did get a lot more mobile, though, and went on my first 5K walk after that.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would even consider it. A nutritionist, maybe, but not a trainer. If they want to share a plan as part of their normal program, I might consider it, but I wouldn't pay an additional fee for it.

Count calories, eat lots of protein and veggies, let the rest sort itself out.

This. I've never paid separately.

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Lol.

Estimate TDEE/maintenance calories, subtract 20% or less, eat that with wahtever foods you want. Eat at least 0.82 x your total weight in grams of protein and lift heavy if you want to maintain as much lean body mass as possible. Buy a food scale and you're golden.

That's the only nutrition plan you need.

This, but I'd add, set dietary fat at a minimum of 0.35 - 0.4 grams per pound of body weight.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Has anyone paid for a nutrition plan from a trainer? Did it help you reach your goals sooner?

Pay me and I will create you a fool proof nutrition plan. It's based on this new concept of calories in being less than calories out. I will even charge you half of what your trainer will charge you.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have seen friend's nutrition plans and they are alright if you are the type of person who'll stick it what's written done, but personally I would find that difficult to do.

A less expensive option would be to buy or borrow from the library a fitness book that has a meal plan in it. I am thinking of Michelle Bridges latest books (she's an Australian).

If you want feedback on your diet you can always ask your friends on MFP... that might be more useful.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I have a trainer who provided me with nutrition recommendations. Are you only asking for nutritional advice?
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    nope. never paid for one and don't you do it either. there's SOOOO much out there you can research and look up on your own anyway. the only direction i got from a trainer was to stick to 1200 calories a day.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    They aren't trained or licensed to give nutritional info, so no, I wouldn't pay one.

I did pay a dietitian and she was a huge help. Best $120 I ever spent. :)
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    Sorry I should have been clearer, she is a nutritionist. I already have a PT and he offers advise but not a set out meal plan.

I would worry too that I would stick to it, or it would be time consuming to prepare.

Thanks for all the feedback - will stick to watching my calories :)
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nutrition plans are always important and helpful and need to be followed. It can be a slow process but a definite way to reach your goal.
  • kstej
    kstej Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    As many people have suggested, if you are going to pay for a plan, get one from a nutritionist rather than a trainer. If you are just trying to make steady progress and aren't worried about seeing significant results, I would just use TDEE, track your calories and try to eat relatively cleanly. However, I do think there are benefits to having outsider knowledge. Although I am a big believer in trial and error/ figuring out what works best for YOU, but I did want to point out a couple potential benefits of purchasing a nutrition plan from a knowledgeable nutritionist...

1) If you pay for it, you (hopefully) will be likely to stick to it for fear of having that money go to waste.

2) A nutritionist can explain to you HOW your body is metabolizing and utilizing food and therefore can help you to explain WHY you are trying to eat according to his/her plan for you...that can be very difficult to self-educate about

3) A nutritionist can help you set macros...although macros aren't a big deal to lose weight, they are if you're trying to maximize lean muscle growth (or preserve current muscle mass) while losing fat....Again, this is difficult to self-educate on...it can be done but can be very confusing and time consuming.

4) A nutritionist can make adjustments and modifications to the diet as time progresses to compensate for your body's reaction.

5) and finally....a nutritionist is someone to be accountable to...for me that can be a very helpful thing!

I definitely sound like I'm a nutritionist trying to self-promote :p Like I said, I'm actually a big believer in trial and error and self-education but I can see the benefits to having a nutritionist and a nutrition plan....Just something to think about!
  • mizzougal11
    mizzougal11 Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    I paid for an eating plan through a nutritionist. I've lost 55 lbs since July (20 lbs of that was baby weight) and I'm happy with the plan/variety. I don't think I'd consider it from a trainer though.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist isn't required to have the same accreditation as a dietitian and the title "nutritionist" is not regulated. Depending on the type of trainer you go to, they could have the same amount of schooling as someone claiming to be a nutritionist. I wouldn't assume that a trainer knows less about diet, and I would ask what their schooling is. I would do the same for a nutritionist.
  • sonyambrown510
    Options
    kstej wrote: »
    As many people have suggested, if you are going to pay for a plan, get one from a nutritionist rather than a trainer. If you are just trying to make steady progress and aren't worried about seeing significant results, I would just use TDEE, track your calories and try to eat relatively cleanly. However, I do think there are benefits to having outsider knowledge. Although I am a big believer in trial and error/ figuring out what works best for YOU, but I did want to point out a couple potential benefits of purchasing a nutrition plan from a knowledgeable nutritionist...

1) If you pay for it, you (hopefully) will be likely to stick to it for fear of having that money go to waste.

2) A nutritionist can explain to you HOW your body is metabolizing and utilizing food and therefore can help you to explain WHY you are trying to eat according to his/her plan for you...that can be very difficult to self-educate about

3) A nutritionist can help you set macros...although macros aren't a big deal to lose weight, they are if you're trying to maximize lean muscle growth (or preserve current muscle mass) while losing fat....Again, this is difficult to self-educate on...it can be done but can be very confusing and time consuming.

4) A nutritionist can make adjustments and modifications to the diet as time progresses to compensate for your body's reaction.

5) and finally....a nutritionist is someone to be accountable to...for me that can be a very helpful thing!

I definitely sound like I'm a nutritionist trying to self-promote :p Like I said, I'm actually a big believer in trial and error and self-education but I can see the benefits to having a nutritionist and a nutrition plan....Just something to think about!

Some great advise! So are you a nutritionist? You look bloody amazing!!!