Probably Been Covered Before Weighing vs Measuring

Options
Weighing your meals vs measuring your meals. Which do you prefer, which is more accurate? I have done both methods and they seem inconsistent with each other. Take the black beans I had for tonight. A serving of black beans is 130 grams or 1/2 a cup. Well, I took my scale out and put 130 grams worth of black beans in the cup. After that I put it on my plate and saw that it was a LOT of beans. So I took my 1/2 measuring cup out and put the beans in there... filled it to the top and still had maybe an 8th of a cup of beans on my plate afterwards. Which is right? The measuring cup or the scale? Both are being suggested and both are quite different.

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I find the scale to be much more accurate. I only measure liquids.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The measurements may be skewed if you drained the beans. I believe the serving size listed on the nutritional label includes the liquid the beans came in unless stated otherwise. I logged drained beans under the official MFP entries (the ones without a star next to them) for cooked, boiled with salt.

In terms of accuracy, scales> measuring cups
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to accurately measure cooked beans. It you want to get them exact, weigh them before cooking. Otherwise, do your best guess and move on.