Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Probably Been Covered Before Weighing vs Measuring

Weighing your meals vs measuring your meals. Which do you prefer, which is more accurate? I have done both methods and they seem inconsistent with each other. Take the black beans I had for tonight. A serving of black beans is 130 grams or 1/2 a cup. Well, I took my scale out and put 130 grams worth of black beans in the cup. After that I put it on my plate and saw that it was a LOT of beans. So I took my 1/2 measuring cup out and put the beans in there... filled it to the top and still had maybe an 8th of a cup of beans on my plate afterwards. Which is right? The measuring cup or the scale? Both are being suggested and both are quite different.

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    I find the scale to be much more accurate. I only measure liquids.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    The measurements may be skewed if you drained the beans. I believe the serving size listed on the nutritional label includes the liquid the beans came in unless stated otherwise. I logged drained beans under the official MFP entries (the ones without a star next to them) for cooked, boiled with salt.

In terms of accuracy, scales> measuring cups
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    It is difficult to accurately measure cooked beans. It you want to get them exact, weigh them before cooking. Otherwise, do your best guess and move on.