Need to do squats - no squat/power rack

Hi everyone. I'm going to start a 5x5 lifting program tomorrow, and need to squat. I'm new to this, so please forgive my ignorance.
Previously I have just been doing dumbbell squats. Problem is, my gym doesn't have a power rack or squat rack, just a Smith machine. From my research, I've deduced that Smith machine squats are pretty worthless. The leg press machine might suffice, but it seems that is also inferior to barbell squats.
So my question is: Would it be ok for me to use the barbell from a bench press or chest press stand to do my squats? I'm short (about 5'2") so those are at about my shoulder height or a bit below. I'd be able to get it on my back fairly easily. And if so, what's the safest way to get the bar back on the rack when I'm done?
I don't want to change gyms right now, so for now I'm looking for a work-around for doing squats. Advice appreciated! Thanks :smile:

Replies

• Shauna2626
    Shauna2626 Posts: 196 Member
    Thanks for your response. So you think I'd be better off continuing to do dumbbell squats, but with a heavier weight for fewer reps? Would this still be pretty effective?
  • ericfatboy99
    ericfatboy99 Posts: 2 Member
    Do not use the barbell from a bench to do your squats, very dangerous once the weight is heavier. Ppl knock the smith machine but if thats all you got, use it (its the same movement just easier)
  • Shauna2626
    Thanks for your input, Eric. If my options are dumbbell squats, Smith machine squats, and leg press machine, would you say the Smith machine is the most effective option?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Do not use the barbell from a bench to do your squats, very dangerous once the weight is heavier. Ppl knock the smith machine but if thats all you got, use it (its the same movement just easier)

^This or look into alternatives to the barbell back squat.

You said you had access to dumbbells? You could replace one of your squat sessions with Goblet Squats and another with Bulgarian Squats.

Other squat variations you could look into - Pistol Squats, Split Squats, and Skater Squats.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    I think it's time to change gyms, if you can't back squat, you can't do a core functionality lift.

Granted, you could do a Steinberg.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think it's time to change gyms, if you can't back squat, you can't do a core functionality lift.

Granted, you could do a Steinberg.

Although barbell gets the most bang for your buck and if you can get access, I'll be the first to say go for it...but back squats aren't the only squat to work your core and work them well.

• Shauna2626
    I like the idea of doing goblet squats with a dumbbell. Think I'll try that - thanks for the suggestion.
    - I could probably try the Steinborn squat since I'm just starting with the bar, but I think that's a really bad idea for me to try with any weight on the bar, lol.
    - I might need to change gyms at some point in the future :-/ Sucks cuz I'm very happy where I am with the exception of the lack of squat equipment
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    the steinborn is the safest way to get the bar on your back in your situation. it's what it was designed to do. other alternatives are front squats and the dumbbell squats mentioned above thread. please for the love of jesus don't use the smith machine. you might as well not squat at that point.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    When I first started out, I didn't have access to a squat rack so I used DBs. You can go surprisingly heavy with them. Within just a few months I was using the heaviest DBs in the place (which isn't saying much, I think they were 65lbs each). And then I started just adding more and more reps. It worked until I joined a real gym. It could easily get you by for a while. Eventually it just becomes an enormous PITA to lift the DBs into position and you're doing basically a front squat instead of a back squat but it will suffice for a while.