What's a good resource with handy rules of thumb for nutrition?

Options
tomatoey
tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
USDA has this
http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/vegetables.html

They've got these groups
- Dark Green Vegetables
- Starchy Veg
- Beans and peas
- "Other vegetables" - here, it's a mish-mash of cruciferous veg, mushrooms, onions...

I'd like to have an easy way of think about hitting micro and macronutrient targets, so I can be more confident I'm getting enough fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc.

Something like, "every day, get these things in"
- Something yellow or orange
- A leafy green salad
- 1/2 cup beans or legumes
- Special interest items (e.g. prunes for me, because I'm watching out for osteoporosis and they're supposed to help, pumpkin seeds for iron and magnesium, pineapple for bromelain, mackerel for B12 and Omega 3s..),

Meat and dairy, I've got covered.

There's the 'Eat the rainbow' idea, but I think I'd wind up settling on too few choices and wind up missing something.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This is too complicated. If it works for you, go ahead. I might have 1.5 cups of legumes on one day and not have any the next three days.
    I focus on getting a good mix when I am making my grocery list and shopping -- but not so much when I am making my meals. Maybe it is almost the same thing that you are describing.

If this is going to bore you, then for the second week eat a different kind of beans, add some things like sweet potatoes, and broccoli.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Eat real food, lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, seeds, meat, (including poultry & pork), fish, eggs, dairy if you can handle it. Oils like coconut or olive oil.

If the majority of your diet consists of these foods, then enjoy treats and your indulgence of choice on occasion such that you don't feel guilty or deprived.
  • tomatoey
    edited December 2014
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    This is too complicated. If it works for you, go ahead. I might have 1.5 cups of legumes on one day and not have any the next three days.
    I focus on getting a good mix when I am making my grocery list and shopping -- but not so much when I am making my meals. Maybe it is almost the same thing that you are describing.

Sorry! Yes, I think it's close.. I just want to be sure I'm getting close to the recommended daily allowance for most vitamins and minerals, most days. I want to eat to support general health, but also be sure I'm addressing deficiencies I know about from blood tests (low iron and vit d) and their correlates (calcium, magnesium, vit K to help with vit D metabolism). I'm also hoping I can support joint health (I have OA and tendonitis in lots of joints and am prone to injury). From my reading, Vit C, B vitamins, and magnesium help here too. And then I want to up fiber for gut health.

I think if I don't do this in a conscious way, it might be easy to slip, and it might be easier for me to have a few rules or tickboxes. Like, ok, yellow + orange (Vit C), check, leafy greens (K), check, etc.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Eat real food, lots of vegetables, fruits, nuts, beans, seeds, meat, (including poultry & pork), fish, eggs, dairy if you can handle it. Oils like coconut or olive oil.

If the majority of your diet consists of these foods, then enjoy treats and your indulgence of choice on occasion such that you don't feel guilty or deprived.

Good tips!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Leaves of 3 let it be. Leaves of 4 eat some more. That's all I got.

lol thank you :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    wine before beer, you're in the clear.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/

Harvard School of Public Health - Healthy Eating Plate.

Basic info. (As with all nutrition information, subject to change at any minute!)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Read up on nutrition. Learn about all the vitamins and minerals and what foods have good amounts of them. You could also consult a dietitian.

If you don't wish to do that, maybe just try eating a varied diet consisting of healthy foods. :)
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

Beer before liquor, never been sicker?
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Lol fair enough, I deserve these, haha
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    coolraul07 wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »

Beer before liquor, never been sicker?

beer before wine?

eh.... should be fine?

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    proper_food_proportions_on_plate.jpg
    I take a multivitamin just to be covered. But here's a study that suggests otherwise. You very well may be taking the healthiest option.

http://healthland.time.com/2011/10/11/vitamins-and-supplements-linked-to-higher-risk-of-death-in-older-women/