Not another loose skin thread.....

Options
So I have a pretty substantial "mothers apron" to the point where sometimes the skin breaks open at the fold. (Gross, I know, don't make fun) I had this when I was heavy before I had babies, and after 3 kids, well, it's pretty bad. It's not just loose skin, more like a fat fold. Uggggg.

Anyone have success of this going away? I know it gets better as I lose weight, and I know that it may never go away completely, but someone give me hope?

Replies

• tryclyn
    tryclyn Posts: 2,414 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Check with your insurance. If the skin keeps breaking down, excessively, surgical reduction may be covered.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yikes! I would also suggest looking into surgery. That seems like high probability of infection especially if it is reoccurring…that must be painful!
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I probably am a candidate for surgery. I don't want to have surgery. I was hoping weight loss would be enough. I have 60 to 70 lbs to lose, so no one would even look at me now for that yet.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,404 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If that is the case, keep losing in a deficit..moisturize the area/use a and d ointment. You can also buy a body wrap to go around your stomach area to help control the skin.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to say... I lost 80 pounds and I have a lot of loose skin, but it's not breaking open. I'm guessing in your case you'll still have loose skin, but if it's empty instead of full of fat, it should help.
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I'm concerned about having one of those whenever I reach my goal.

I would definitely look into the insurance thing if it continues to be an issue with the breaking open and what not, I saw a MFPer actually fight his insurance to cover it and won to have the same type of thing removed after losing a substantial amount of weight.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't moisturize too much though... Like for baby diaper rash, treat the inflamation and once it's healed try to keep it dry! Corn stach works well (that's what I use for my daughter's buttocks since she easily gets diaper rash) and doesn't cost too much.
    Losing weight will only get you so far. There will still be a fold. Lose as mush as you can and then talk to your doctor.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I do not know if it will go away for you. I wanted to say if you are not already I suggest that you wear something supportive over it (like maybe a belly band if you still have one, or wrap it) whenever you are doing any sort of strenuous activity. I've heard from people that had loose skin specifically in that area that sometimes the connective tissue can be damaged while doing cardio. Keeping the area supported may help with your skin's recovery.

• arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Yeast (can) builds up and causes infections. I am in the same position . Had one all m life, and then 3 kids (all c-sections too!) and it is a problem. Some shrinkage with weight loss by still a big flappy uncomfortable mess for me.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I do not know if it will go away for you. I wanted to say if you are not already I suggest that you wear something supportive over it (like maybe a belly band if you still have one, or wrap it) whenever you are doing any sort of strenuous activity. I've heard from people that had loose skin specifically in that area that sometimes the connective tissue can be damaged while doing cardio. Keeping the area supported may help with your skin's recovery.

[/quote

It makes things like jumping jacks really uncomfortable! I will have to look for a compression top or maybe an athletic panty girdle?

Thank you for all the replies! It only opens up a few times a year, and fortunately, I don't have yeast issues. I will probably wind up looking into surgery eventually if it doesn't improve.