Help with feeding foreign students

Options
Lulzaroonie
Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
If the title wasn't clear (hey, even I'm not that clear on what my current title is...), from Sunday, I will be hosting foreign students in my home for short periods of time while they go on courses and get a feel for England and practise their English speaking.

We will be hosting mainly European teens (and some Japanese), and I realised today that I'm pretty horrified by the typical 'English diet'.
We eat a lot of carb heavy stuff, chips, breads, pastas, and I REALLY don't want my students to go home after the 1/2/3+ weeks with us, thinking we're all carb magnets.

I've already heard the stereotype that English food is bland and stodgy and thinking about it.... they're right, and it makes me feel weird.

The handbook recommends pizza, salad and garlic bread for the first night (as they will want something familiar after a long travel), and every day the kids are lining up outside all the fish and chip shops, the kebab shops etc, and so fried food, chips, etc are already a pretty big part of their meals each day (they get food tokens from the language school, to pay for their lunch).

Though we don't fry any food at all (we don't own a deep fryer, and we rarely fry anything in a pan), our diet does often consist of some kind of starchy carb for our main evening meal. If they've already eaten a large (and somewhat disastrously unhealthy) lunch, I don't want to be providing another heavy meal in the evening.

However, they are guests in my home, and as such, we don't keep the same eating habits as them, ie: a small lunch, rather than a large cooked meal.

Most host families cook chicken nuggets and chips for their students, and I really don't want to follow suit, I want to at least make an effort (famous last words lol).

I know its not going to kill them if they eat two main meals a day (though they might go back 5lbs heavier), but I'm now uncomfortably aware at how boring our food is. Help me?!

Not only this, but but it is part of the language school agreement that we sit and have our main meals with the students every day, so it needs to be something that will also fit well into my daily limits, and into my healthy eating plans.