Leftovers Are Known to Cause Weight Gain!!

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I just want to commend the OP for posting a topic that has garnered fairly consistent responses (dissenting with the OP) among a diverse group of individuals who rarely agree on anything...

I agree with those who questioned the term "leftovers" because again, I think many find that saving a portion of their food for later, whether by design or because they are too full to finish in the first sitting, can be quite an effective weight management technique.

I almost always cook at least one extra portion of protein, and try to get at least 3 servings out of a side dish that is meant for 2 (like rice or pasta) and then throw in a single serving bag of frozen vegetables - this is the perfect lunch for me for the next day. I don't bring the bread or wine to work obvously, but it can turn my 800 cal dinner into a 500 cal lunch the next day. Saves me from running out to lunch or hitting our less than stellar work cafeteria...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Leftovers make for the best lunches the next day
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Actually, just make extra so that you have a full servings of left overs. Put in fridge in individual serving size container. Eat for lunch later and avoid going out to eat.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So, using this logic, if I drink one shot of vodka and have vodka left over in the bottle, this makes me more drunk?

SWEET!
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think I eat less because I embrace the concept of leftovers. I'll often find myself looking at my plate and thinking, "I could stuff this all in, but if stop eating now this will be a good portion of food to have for a meal tomorrow."

If I do find myself with just a small amount of food left over, it's time to get creative. Soups are great for using up little bits of random leftovers.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    But food is always better the next day... plus I practically live on leftovers and have lost like 80 lbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    I just want to commend the OP for posting a topic that has garnered fairly consistent responses (dissenting with the OP) among a diverse group of individuals who rarely agree on anything...

I agree with those who questioned the term "leftovers" because again, I think many find that saving a portion of their food for later, whether by design or because they are too full to finish in the first sitting, can be quite an effective weight management technique.

I almost always cook at least one extra portion of protein, and try to get at least 3 servings out of a side dish that is meant for 2 (like rice or pasta) and then throw in a single serving bag of frozen vegetables - this is the perfect lunch for me for the next day. I don't bring the bread or wine to work obvously, but it can turn my 800 cal dinner into a 500 cal lunch the next day. Saves me from running out to lunch or hitting our less than stellar work cafeteria...

LoL. It could be a first, however captain thread crap hasn't arrived. He will probably agree with the OP just to be contrary.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    This is the single most detrimental thing to losing weight. Many of us were taught to clean our plates and not waste food. That somehow would benefit the starving children of the world. As a result, we feel obligated to finish meals, even if we are full. Something that worked for me was throwing away any food left after a meal. What did this accomplish?
    1) I lost weight. Fact is, you eat less, you lose weight.
    2) Taught me how to cook smaller meals and avoid unnecessary weight gain

I don't understand this. I cook for 2 people and typically make a meal for 4. We use the leftovers for lunch the next day. I don't understand throwing away food like that - why not save it to eat another day? It sounds wasteful.

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Kruggeri wrote: »

LoL. It could be a first, however captain thread crap hasn't arrived. He will probably agree with the OP just to be contrary.

I know, I kind of figured by posting that I would jinx the thread, but who knows... it could be a Christmas Miracle!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    So, really, not having leftovers is what you are saying causes problems?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I can't even comprehend this...I eat leftovers for lunch. But, more importantly, why are you wasting food on purpose?
  • pdank311
    pdank311 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've never been a huge fan of leftovers unless it's something that collects flavor such as sauce. Day one it's good, day 4 it's picked up massive amounts of flavor and is way better. So I cook to portion every meal / day. It's definitely more work, but my meals are fresh every day and I enjoy that.

I don't view it as a chore though. It's more of a creative activity and helps me decompress from the day.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I eat leftovers all the time, restaurant portions are insane so I usually only eat half and the other half as a different meal. My lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before.

I have left or thrown away food if there wasn't enough for another meal when I was finished before so that I don't overeat anymore. I had to get over the 'clean your plate' mentality I was raised on too, I think feeling like throwing away food is a victory might be an overcorrection.
  • Local_Atlantis
    Local_Atlantis Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    While the wording of this is ridiculous, I know what the OP is trying to say.

For me, it was always considered rude to leave any food on the plate, which caused a bad habit of eating past the point of hunger. It was always "No dessert unless you finish what's on your plate" and I aaaalways wanted dessert.

Eating only when hungry is a key to good nutritional intake - fuel your body when it needs it, and sends signals to tell you to eat. This is a good habit that I could have been better educated on by my parents. Not saying that my parents did a bad job or anything!! I'm just saying.. I get where the OP is going. ... Sort of... :neutral_face: Haha!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Confusing thread is confusing.

I think what OP was TRYING to say (and failed amazingly) is that the "clean plate" mentality can lead to weight gain. Unfortunately, his solution is to simply throw away uneaten food, rather than to show some self-control and package it up for later.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I eat leftovers all the time, restaurant portions are insane so I usually only eat half and the other half as a different meal. My lunch is usually leftovers from dinner the night before.

I have left or thrown away food if there wasn't enough for another meal when I was finished before so that I don't overeat anymore. I had to get over the 'clean your plate' mentality I was raised on too, I think feeling like throwing away food is a victory might be an overcorrection.

YES! Funny. We got take out chinese last night on the way home. I had dinner. I had breakfast, and I will have lunch. From ONE "dinner".
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    OP, by your logic... you say it's the cleaning of one's plate that causes weight gain. So, therefore, would having leftovers not be the solution to this? You could have a plate of food that amounts to 1600 calories, but if you eat half one day and take the second half home as leftovers to eat the next day, you've eaten 800 calories for each meal. Your post makes no sense.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    lisajo89 wrote: »
    While the wording of this is ridiculous, I know what the OP is trying to say.

For me, it was always considered rude to leave any food on the plate, which caused a bad habit of eating past the point of hunger. It was always "No dessert unless you finish what's on your plate" and I aaaalways wanted dessert.

Eating only when hungry is a key to good nutritional intake - fuel your body when it needs it, and sends signals to tell you to eat. This is a good habit that I could have been better educated on by my parents. Not saying that my parents did a bad job or anything!! I'm just saying.. I get where the OP is going. ... Sort of... :neutral_face: Haha!
    That makes more sense.

I still hate to waste food and am guilty of eating a few bites that I don't want just so that it doesn't go down the disposal, which is silly, I know.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    When proper portions are used, being in the clean plate club isn't a big deal...I mean, an appropriately portioned plate might look something like this...

IMG_2716.JPG

The problem is that many of us think this is more appropriate...or at least thought at one time it was...

IMG_4091_avoca%20food.JPG

so the problem isn't cleaning your plate, or even having leftovers...the problem is understanding what a proper portion of something is for you and your goals. Cleaning an appropriately portioned plate isn't a big deal...cleaning a plate that is overflowing when you've already maxed out for the day is...